To the Church Goers

  1. #1
    Pura Vida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    A sky full of stars
    Posts
    843

    To the Church Goers

    Just curious.... What did you pastor/priest/clergy person say about the cessation of the Syrian refugee program and the Muslim immigration ban, at Church today?

    Mods - feel free to move this to the Controversial or Religion thread, wasn't sure where it fits. Thanks.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Pura Vida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    A sky full of stars
    Posts
    843

    Mine said NOTHING….. I was both surprised/disappointed. Just wondering if the topic was ignored at other places of worship.

  3. #3
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    58,112

    Not a regular churchgoer here, but had I attended I wouldn't have expected the issue to come up.

  4. #4
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,037

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Not a regular churchgoer here, but had I attended I wouldn't have expected the issue to come up.
    Me either, and it didn't at my church.

  5. #5
    Fear the Nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Union, Ky. Ryle School district. Up on top the pressbox.
    Posts
    5,093

    Took a short hiatus from our church to do some personal reflection on GOD, not just the boxed up version. I'll ask some friends and see if it's been brought up or not.

  6. #6
    85_Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Boyle Co.
    Posts
    1,991

    We hear more about ISIS killing Christians because they are Christians than we will here about an immigration ban.

    Continue to pray for the POTUS....these are tough times.

  7. #7
    kygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    NE KY- Its the engine not the horn that makes the car move.
    Posts
    4,038

    No-our focus was on Jesus. I go to church to worship not to get into political debates.

  8. #8
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,349

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl View Post
    No-our focus was on Jesus. I go to church to worship not to get into political debates.

    Whom I guarantee would let them in. But , I digress

  9. #9
    kygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    NE KY- Its the engine not the horn that makes the car move.
    Posts
    4,038

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Whom I guarantee would let them in. But , I digress
    Absolutely he would! No you didn't digress at all but made an excellent point.

  10. #10
    Pura Vida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14
    Location
    A sky full of stars
    Posts
    843

    Quote Originally Posted by kygirl View Post
    No-our focus was on Jesus. I go to church to worship not to get into political debates.
    Social teaching is often the topic of homilies in my Church, i.e. living life of holiness amidst the challenges of modern society.

    I guess I thought my priest would be in tune that some parishioners may feel anxious about these events and would feel the call to address them.

  11. #11
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    43,702

    Underlying topic of our sermon today was to serve our community and a call for us to do more. Our Preacher has really been challenging us to find a way to serve God, outside of the four walls of the church...this was a continuation of that theme today.


    FWIW He rarely if ever speaks of politics or world affairs, saying we have enough to do within 1 mile of our church to keep us busy.

  12. #12
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Walton
    Posts
    2,078

    I didn't mention it. No one brought it up to me. I don't think the majority of people care that much.

  13. #13
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    58,112

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I didn't mention it. No one brought it up to me. I don't think the majority of people care that much.
    I think many people care.

    They just don't care to discuss the matter in church.

  14. #14
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Walton
    Posts
    2,078

    Maybe, I really have not followed it that much. I actually would have been affected by it 100 years ago, even though my family were Maronites we did emigrate from Syria/Lebanon

  15. #15
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    8,320

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Underlying topic of our sermon today was to serve our community and a call for us to do more. Our Preacher has really been challenging us to find a way to serve God, outside of the four walls of the church...this was a continuation of that theme today.


    FWIW He rarely if ever speaks of politics or world affairs, saying we have enough to do within 1 mile of our church to keep us busy.

    was listening to an old country preacher on the radio the other day. He was blasting preachers as cowards for not tackling hot political issues in their sermons.

Top