The Founding Fathers Were Clear- We ARE NOT, Nor Should We Be, a Christian Nation !!!

Page 2 of I'm sure that all the Constitutional scholars on here are familiar with these words:" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of re... 28 comments | 1297 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Walton
    Posts
    1,755

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    Who is being forced to have an abortion, get "gay married," buy pornography or use marijuana?
    I was referring to law, not action.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    Truth should shape people's politics, rather than politics shaping what people think is true.
    Posts
    22,555

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I was referring to law, not action.
    Me, too.

  3. #18
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Uniendo Los Toros
    Posts
    26,045

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    I agree with you. The Constitution is not designed to create the US as a Christian state, rather to permit the free practice of whichever denomination. People have bastardized the "Under God" part of the Pledge of Allegiance (which started in the 1930s?) and used it as fuel for this Bible thumping fire.
    "Under God" was added to the Pledge by Congress, at the urging of President Eisenhower, in 1954.

  4. #19
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Walton
    Posts
    1,755

    @Science Friction

    How do you feel about Washington's farewell address when he says “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity...And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”

    Also here is a link to some of James Madison's writing. Madison is considered the father of the constitution

    One Nation Under God: James Madison

  5. #20
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day. If you listen to the wind you can still him him play."
    Posts
    5,551

    “Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by the difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be depreciated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society.”

    --- George Washington

  6. #21
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day. If you listen to the wind you can still him him play."
    Posts
    5,551

    “There is not one redeeming feature in our superstition of Christianity. It has made one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites.”
    --- Thomas Jefferson

  7. #22
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day. If you listen to the wind you can still him him play."
    Posts
    5,551

    “We discover in the gospels a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication .”
    ---Thomas Jefferson

  8. #23
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day. If you listen to the wind you can still him him play."
    Posts
    5,551

    “I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all.”
    ---Thomas Paine

  9. #24
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day. If you listen to the wind you can still him him play."
    Posts
    5,551

    “Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst.”
    --- Thomas Paine

    “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half of the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind."
    --- Thomas Paine

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    15,394

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    @Science Friction

    How do you feel about Washington's farewell address when he says “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity...And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”

    Also here is a link to some of James Madison's writing. Madison is considered the father of the constitution

    One Nation Under God: James Madison
    Here are some other quotes from Madison. Seems most were made later in his life.

    These Quotes Reveal What James Madison Believed About Religion

    Here's a great article on Madison and his work for Religious Liberty for all.

  11. #26
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,476

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    Who is being forced to have an abortion, get "gay married," buy pornography or use marijuana?
    Hummm...kind of sounds like a weekend road trip to Hollywood. haha

  12. #27
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,476

    The framers I believe never intended for the state to establish a "religion", BUT, most never intended to leave God out of the equation either.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    15,394

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    The framers I believe never intended for the state to establish a "religion", BUT, most never intended to leave God out of the equation either.
    I believe there intention was to avoid the entanglements they saw in Europe. Hence the state would not establish or endorse any religion nor interfere in the practice of it.

  14. #29
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,476

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    I believe there intention was to avoid the entanglements they saw in Europe. Hence the state would not establish or endorse any religion nor interfere in the practice of it.
    I agree with that.

Top