If Tim Tebow was an Atheist

Page 4 of If Tim Tebow had this exact same season and was a known atheist would he be as beloved? I say no. I say he would be vilified and people would say thing... 72 comments | 1762 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    88,093

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    I only have four. You, Clyde, Jim, and I.
    To be clear I do LIKE him. I just don't think he's going to be a great NFL qb.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    78,583

    So it's PepRock, FKY, Jim and I....still only 4.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,154

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    ^So you don't like Romney because he's a Mormon, you don't like Tebow because he's a Christian....What religion is it "okay" for someone to believe in your book?
    "In your face" Christianity irks me. I work near the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville and over the course of the last 10 years I lost count of the number of times I have had to tell one of the students there that I was a Christian. That may seem inconsequential but this is always after I have informed them that I am a Catholic. Maybe it is a holdover for me from the Bloody Monday of 1855 here in town(obviously I wasn't born yet), but the fact that many evangelicals look at Catholics similarly to how they look at Mormon's irritates me to no end. In the case of Tebow that is compounded by the fact that his mission work is to a country that is 80% Catholic. I mean really? Wouldn't your mission work be better suited to going to places where the word of God has never been preached? That is why the Catholic Church has missions in many parts of Africa, not you know Mississippi. Also the ridiculous hero worship he seems to get from the religious right is just absurd to me. I loathe when we put people on pedestals, especially when the person in question doesn't even want to be on that pedestal.

  4. #49
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    56,013

    ^So you dislike Tebow because of something that is completely beyond his control?

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,154

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    ^So you dislike Tebow because of something that is completely beyond his control?
    I would say that he is the personification of that mentality and on top of that he actively spends his mission trip time in a country that is already predominantly Christian, only because it isn't his "brand" of Christianity. That is more of an irritant to me than anything else. Also, no one is as perfect as he is portrayed, no one.

  6. #51
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    56,013

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    I would say that he is the personification of that mentality and on top of that he actively spends his mission trip time in a country that is already predominantly Christian, only because it isn't his "brand" of Christianity. That is more of an irritant to me than anything else. Also, no one is as perfect as he is portrayed, no one.
    See, I completely disagree with the notion that he is one of those "in your face" Christians (I despise that as well). Your point is valid on the mission work.

  7. #52
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    37,171

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    See, I completely disagree with the notion that he is one of those "in your face" Christians (I despise that as well). Your point is valid on the mission work.
    He prefaces any recaps of games by first giving praise to the Lord. A lot of guys do though. But overall, I agree with your statement. Through all of this I believe people think Tim is always in front of cameras, but he is really not that captivating in what he says; always praising his teammates and coaching staff -- nothing too newsworthy. He did one interview on First Take a few weeks back, but that has been it. Even it was bland similar to his required post and pre game comments. The constant praying on the sidelines (via cameras constantly watching him) is about as "religious" as he gets.

  8. #53
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    51,610

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    See, I completely disagree with the notion that he is one of those "in your face" Christians (I despise that as well). Your point is valid on the mission work.
    He can't open his mouth without saying something religious-toned. That puts me off in a big way, mostly because of where I grew up, having to deal with people of a similar evangelical bent, who would ask me questions such as "Are Catholics even Christians?" As a result, I don't speak in religious terms because it was better to keep my faith to myself rather than get into fights daily with religious bigots.

  9. #54
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    56,013

    ^Jim, everything even remotely mainstream puts you off.

    I really don't get why that question would bother anyone, but to each his own I guess.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    I am truly curious how some of you would respond to other believers who constantly gave God credit and spoke openly of their faith in public forums.

    Do any of you honestly believe that if someone stuck a TV camera in the face of King David, Paul of Tarsus, Peter the fisher of men, James, John, Bartholomew, Timothy, John the Baptist or Jesus of Nazareth; there’s not one of them that would praise God and encourage faith in Him?

  11. #56
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    88,093

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak View Post

    Do any of you honestly believe that if someone stuck a TV camera in the face of King David, Paul of Tarsus, Peter the fisher of men
    "First, Sal, I'd like to thank my Lord Saviour Jesus Christ. We really put together a nice game plan today on where we thought the fish would be. Scouting is key and our scouts are the best in the business. I'd also like to thank my LINE-men. Those lines were key to my success today. And without someone to CATCH the fish as I reel them in I'm nothing. Total team effort today. We know that Lake Solomon is tough and we respect them greatly as our next opponent but as a believer of Jesus Christ we know that those fish swim just like the fish we caught today. We can catch them if we believe in ourselves and our bait and our gear. Only way to win the next battle is to believe. Praise Jesus."

  12. #57
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    78,583

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak View Post
    I am truly curious how some of you would respond to other believers who constantly gave God credit and spoke openly of their faith in public forums.

    Do any of you honestly believe that if someone stuck a TV camera in the face of King David, Paul of Tarsus, Peter the fisher of men, James, John, Bartholomew, Timothy, John the Baptist or Jesus of Nazareth; there’s not one of them that would praise God and encourage faith in Him?
    Hard to answer. Those men would have to understand the dynamic of television first. With all due respect one or two of them may want to be reality stars or television could have a negative impact on their faith. Their temptations are different than the ones we face today. Who knows how they would act.

  13. #58
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    58,936

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    He prefaces any recaps of games by first giving praise to the Lord. A lot of guys do though. But overall, I agree with your statement.
    David Robinson used to do that all the time, as well as Kurt Warner.

    Interestingly, the latter had some surprising advice for Tebow & his religious rhetoric:

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/kurt...th-your-faith/

  14. #59
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    88,093

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    David Robinson used to do that all the time, as well as Kurt Warner.

    Interestingly, the latter had some surprising advice for Tebow & his religious rhetoric:

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/kurt...th-your-faith/
    You can't beat TT when it comes to responding to critics. The best!

  15. #60
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    58,936

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    You can't beat TT when it comes to responding to critics. The best!
    His patience & ability to refrain from saying anything even remotely vengeful are perhaps his most impressive qualities.

Top