Page 2 of Its not luck, Wayne Hanson of Summit Church in Colorado told TMZ. Luck isnt winning 6 games in a row. Its favor. Gods favor.... 205 comments | 3227 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #21
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    65,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    Here's something Aaron Rodgers said about his faith:

    I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I'm not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis.

    Why do we consider Tebow the "Christian quarterback" because he is more ostentatious about his faith?
    I read that Rodgers quote a few weeks ago. I lean that way vs Tebow's way.

  2. #22
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    I'm a mirror.If you're cool then I'm cool.What you see is what you reflect.
    Posts
    50,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    I think that all of the Tebow hype is a little bit overblown at this point in time. Yes they are winning, but pesonally I feel that a "perfect storm" of sorts has occurred that has enabled Denver to go on this win streak. Obviously Tebow mania has been good for the NFL and I really don't care one way or the other as to how well Tebow plays, but I still question whether he is the long term solution for Denver's QB needs. You have to give the kid credit for simply getting it done especially in the 4th quarter but I think that the role of the defense in this win streak as been several overlooked. Another factor is that their schedule during this win streak as been very favorable, especially when you consider some of the key injuries that their opponets had when they faced them.

    Since Tebow has became the starting QB, Denver has averaged 20.5 points per game, while the defense has given up 20.25. Three of the wins were in OT and could have very easily gone the other way.

    Miami - needed overtime to defeat a winless team

    Detriot - blownout

    Oakland - Raiders were without their starting QB, but Denver won comfortably.

    Kansas City - Won despite Tebow only throwing for 69 yards. Cheifs are 5-8.

    Jets - New York had to play Sunday night and turn around and play Thursday at altitude, also leading rusher Shonn Greene was limited to 3 carries due to injury.

    San Diego - OT win against a team that is 6-7.

    Minnesota - Vikings were without Peterson, yet only lost by 3.

    Chicago - Bear were without Cutler. Also Tebow should get Barber a really nice Christmas present for running out of bounds. Bears had the game won.

    I'm sorry, I know may on here will disagree, but I simply have yet to buy into the idea that Tebow is going to be a great NFL QB. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but I while he has had success this season, I would temper my expectations over the long term given the situations that I outlined above.

    I'm right here with you homey.


    I'll addthat Chicago played without Matt Forte also. And still almost won.

  3. #23
    Premium Member HT721's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    The land of cotton
    Posts
    5,226
    It's not God favoring Tim Tebow, it's Tim Tebow's faith in God. With the faith comparable to a mustard seed you can move a mountain, so why can't you win a football game with a 1/4 of a mustard seed?

  4. #24
    Premium Member woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Corner of walk and don't walk
    Posts
    15,337
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp thang View Post
    I seriously doubt whether God cares whether or not Denver wins. I've always thought of him as a Packers fan
    Hell Yes!!!!

  5. #25
    Premium Member Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    You lookin' at me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?!?!
    Posts
    44,697
    Here's what the problem is for those who have the asinine belief that "God favors Tim Tebow" in their heads:

    If you believe that, then you also must, by extension, believe that God favors him at the expense of every other team -- other teams that undoubtedly also have faithful Christians on their team. It's just a completely, utterly outlandish suggestion that God cares about the outcome of a football game because of one man's in-your-face piety.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    It is possible. Is it not possible or even likely that God could be using Tebow's success and fame to help spread the message? If he becomes a star QB that can sustain long-term success doesn't that help spread the gospel?
    Which Gospel is Tim spreading? If you believe in God you will be successful? Because that is certainly not the message that I read in the gospels.

  7. #27
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    5,790
    God helps those who help themselves.

  8. #28
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    I'm a mirror.If you're cool then I'm cool.What you see is what you reflect.
    Posts
    50,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Here's what the problem is for those who have the asinine belief that "God favors Tim Tebow" in their heads:

    If you believe that, then you also must, by extension, believe that God favors him at the expense of every other team -- other teams that undoubtedly also have faithful Christians on their team. It's just a completely, utterly outlandish suggestion that God cares about the outcome of a football game because of one man's in-your-face piety.
    This.

  9. #29
    Premium Member RomanEmpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    5,770
    YES.

  10. #30
    nWo
    nWo is offline
    Moderator nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    36,083
    Here's food for thought. God's intention is not to help win a football game. He loves us so much he is using this to help lead a lost soul to his grace and mercy. Tim Tebow is just the instrument he is using.

    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
    Isaiah 55:8-9 (KJV)

  11. #31
    Premium Member Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    24,406
    My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious?

  12. #32
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    I'm a mirror.If you're cool then I'm cool.What you see is what you reflect.
    Posts
    50,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious?
    Not for me it isn't. I don't mix religion and sports. I like FSU football and have never liked Tebow. My disdain for him now is high because IMO he is still an unproven winner and qb. The hype is overblown IMO and it drives me nuts. Granted the way he is winning is nothing short of spectacular but I'll be more impressed when he does it long term and against better competition than what he has done it against. I still won't like him though. Never have never will. Just like MJ, Tyler Hansbrough and any Tar Heel. Tebow and football Gators fall in the same boat.

  13. #33
    Premium Member UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    On the Path to #4...
    Posts
    42,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious?
    Absolutely it is....It's because he's a great character guy. People love to criticize athletes for their character since they clearly are superior athletically. Most can't fathom that a great athlete is a good character guy. It makes that athlete not only a better athlete, but also a guy that has greater character, and many can't accept that fact. That brings about a deeply rooted desire for his failures either on the field or off, and a sinister hatred. It's disgusting and embarrassing IMO.

  14. #34
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    I'm a mirror.If you're cool then I'm cool.What you see is what you reflect.
    Posts
    50,339
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Absolutely it is....It's because he's a great character guy. People love to criticize athletes for their character since they clearly are superior athletically. Most can't fathom that a great athlete is a good character guy. It makes that athlete not only a better athlete, but also a guy that has greater character, and many can't accept that fact. That brings about a deeply rooted desire for his failures either on the field or off, and a sinister hatred. It's disgusting and embarrassing IMO.
    I disagree. Tebow is not the first high character/great athlete person ever. There have been plenty that have and always are well received. In fact, every week there are new Tebow converts. I don't know of anyone besides myself and maybe Irish Cat who haven't converted yet. Facebook and twitter blow up every Sunday after another Tebow miracle. The Packers are undefeated but Tebowmania is the bigger story in the NFL and fans and media have hopped aboard the train.

  15. #35
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    11,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Larry View Post
    In 2009 we beat Tim and the Gators and Tim cried on the side lines. Not sure if anyone in my home prayed for a win and superseeded Tim's prayer request. I did ask Jesus once for a wife, and boy did he deliever. Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl and a lot of games. He was very religious. God favors all who trust him.

    Tim has a gift and has the talent to do things on the field. Who gave him this talent, and does it benefit Jesus's Gospel? Paul talks about each of us being equipped with gifts and each one has these gifts.
    The definition of "favors" would be the key in interpreting Guru's question IMO.

    What is "favor?" In this case, is it winning games? Titles?

    What about the losers?


    Also, to imply that (A.) Because of Tebow's succes God must favor him over others on that field who are less faithful, then (B) If we would be more faithful to God we would see similary results/benefits/favor.

    I guess if that is a truthful absolute then we can also deduce:

    A. God Must not have care for Ernie Davis (Football).

    B. Lou Gehrig must have fallen out of favor from God after being in great favor his whole life/career.

    C. Terry Bradshaw much have been MUCH more Faithful to God than Roger Staubach.

  16. #36
    Moderator Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    38,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    This gets us back to other debates we've had here before. If God is "rewarding" Tebow, then why are less devout or atheist people as or more successful than him in the NFL? Why are those as devout or more as Tebow struggling to make a roster? To take another step back outside of the triviality of the NFL, what has Tebow done that millions of desperately impoverished and starving people across the globe not done and if they act more Tebow-esque will their plights be reversed?
    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Which Gospel is Tim spreading? If you believe in God you will be successful? Because that is certainly not the message that I read in the gospels.
    There are numerous Biblical instances in which God materially blessed people who were very faithful to Him. The most glaring one (IMO) is that of Abraham. Even when he had relapses of faith, it was as if God was bound & determined to financially bless him more than he could have ever imagined. I also think of Job. God was so pleased with him that He doubled Job's possessions, which were considerable to begin with.

    Yet there are other times when faithfulness does not equate to an immediate, material blessing. John the Baptist did exactly what he was born to do & ended up in prison...ultimately beheaded. Paul prayed three times for a "thorn in the flesh" to be removed from his life and God essentially said, "No. My grace is enough." He too ended up beheaded.

    Scripture says the rain falls on the just and the unjust. The prophet Jeremiah asked a question similar to Habib's---"Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?" (Jeremiah 12:1). God sometimes rewards people of faith with physical blessing that is immediate & very visible. There are other times when He withholds it. There are times when God allows the wicked to prosper. And there are times when He brings them to their knees.

    A passage from Romans helps me here (in addition to NWO's from Isaiah). I call this verse the "God's prerogative" passage of the Bible: What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. (Romans 9: 14-15)

    I don't pretend to try to know the source of Tim Tebow's recent success in helping lead his team to where it is today. Is God playing a part? Perhaps. But then again, perhaps not. But I'm not going to say He most certainly is or He most certainly is not.

    A quote from Augustine comes to mind--one I've used before & will likely use many more times. Something like, "Once we fully understand God, He stops being God."

  17. #37
    Moderator bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    31,753
    The answer to the question is no. I believe Tebow would be the first to tell you that.

  18. #38
    Moderator Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    38,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    Here's something Aaron Rodgers said about his faith:

    I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I'm not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis.

    Why do we consider Tebow the "Christian quarterback" because he is more ostentatious about his faith?
    I think both approaches can be very effective & I believe both are very Biblical. James come down very hard on those who verbally profess faith, yet fail to back up their words with legitimate deeds. Rodgers' stance reminds me of 1 Peter 2: 11-12,which says, "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

    Conversely, I don't have a problem at all with Tebow's approach, which I see as being both heavily verbal & active. His work in the Philippines & in prison ministries speaks for itself IMO. We have to remember that in preparing people for Jesus' ministry, John the Baptist was more in-your-face than Tim Tebow will ever dream of being. He's actually more akin to the prototypical "street-corner preacher" in that he was very boisterous and outspoken.

    So long as both are authentic, I can't favor one style over the other. What I will say is that the deeds part of Christian living better be straight-up, or else the words are nothing but empty & hollow. With Tebow, I have yet to see anything contradictory in words vs. actions.

  19. #39
    Premium Member MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    38,692
    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    The answer to the question is no. I believe Tebow would be the first to tell you that.
    I agree with that.

    I do think that Tebow's faith is one of the reason that he has such confidence. People obtain confidence in their game through many different ways. For Tebow I think his faith does help him play better on the football field. Not because God is giving him extra strength or anything like that, but its his way of giving himself confidence.

  20. #40
    nWo
    nWo is offline
    Moderator nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    36,083
    I think the overall picture is being missed. This is not about football or Tim Tebow. This is about God. He has accomplished what he wanted. Not to talk about football. Not to talk about Tim Tebow but to talk about almighty God himself. In our limited abilities to understand his actions, we think it is about sports or a certain athlete, but it is not. It is about Him.

    Everyone can rest assured that the seed has been planted in some man, woman, boy or girl about God. This is being discussed not just on this site but other places also. One day that seed will grow and flourish.

    The parable about the sower is what comes to mind the further I thought on this topic.