Changing your Church

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    6,468

    Changing your Church

    Anyone ever switched churches? I'm currently in the process of becoming a member at a local church in Louisville, after being Catholic(ish) for my entire life.

    Anyone else ever changed churches? If so why?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    2,054

    I hope you are ready for some " interesting" suggestions. May even get a few to return to the former church or parish. I changed when we were married because I felt it was important to my marriage and our children that we attend and worship as a family.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillVille Cardinal51 View Post
    Anyone ever switched churches? I'm currently in the process of becoming a member at a local church in Louisville, after being Catholic(ish) for my entire life.

    Anyone else ever changed churches? If so why?
    I've changes parishes, but never have even thought of leaving the Catholic Church. I know a lot of people who have left the Church though, including my sister. I just can't imagine it for myself. Now, all that said, if I were so inclined, I would join one of the Sojourn communities here in Louisville. I know quite a few people who attend Sojourn and I love their commitment and involvement in the community and their families. One of my Catholic friends attends both Mass and a Sojourn service each week.

  4. #4
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,283

    If you are going from a Catholic church to a protestant church, you may be surprised at the similarities in their core beliefs. The practice will be a huge adjustment, but outside of Mary and Christening you probably already believe most of what the protestants do.

    My experience has shown that it is easier for Catholics to adjust to the protestant church than it is for protestants to adjust to the Catholic church

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,919

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post

    I've changes parishes, but never have even thought of leaving the Catholic Church. I know a lot of people who have left the Church though, including my sister. I just can't imagine it for myself. Now, all that said, if I were so inclined, I would join one of the Sojourn communities here in Louisville. I know quite a few people who attend Sojourn and I love their commitment and involvement in the community and their families. One of my Catholic friends attends both Mass and a Sojourn service each week.
    I know many Sojourn folk as well, and while they are involved in community and family there is quite a bit about them that I am not so fond of. No chance I could ever be hipster Baptist.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    6,468

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    I know many Sojourn folk as well, and while they are involved in community and family there is quite a bit about them that I am not so fond of. No chance I could ever be hipster Baptist.
    Sorry, I feel like I left this thread high and dry.

    What about them didn't you like?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    18,411

    Mr. Cat and I have been attending his parents' Baptist church for the past year or so. I like it. I don't have to keep kneeling and standing or be forced to shake someone's hand. The message is the same just without all the pageantry.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,919

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillVille Cardinal51 View Post
    Sorry, I feel like I left this thread high and dry.

    What about them didn't you like?
    As a disclaimer I am a traditional Catholic who would never consider changing, but even then I want a church to feel like a church. Frankly a part of me doesn't like them taking over old Catholic churches considering how I have heard a couple of them talk about Catholics in general. It feels like the hip alternative to Southeast for people who aren't as WASPy. Furthermore my wife has a friend who goes there with her husband and they apparently engage in the practice of "shunning" people who have fallen off the wagon so to speak.

    I had a friend who used to go there and her description of it was different back in 07. Maybe they have changed, maybe she wasn't as into it as they are. Either way I find the place unsettling.

  9. #9
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,283

    I have never heard of sojourn. I don't even know what the word means.

  10. #10
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,049

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I have never heard of sojourn. I don't even know what the word means.
    I'm with you

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    As a disclaimer I am a traditional Catholic who would never consider changing, but even then I want a church to feel like a church. Frankly a part of me doesn't like them taking over old Catholic churches considering how I have heard a couple of them talk about Catholics in general. It feels like the hip alternative to Southeast for people who aren't as WASPy. Furthermore my wife has a friend who goes there with her husband and they apparently engage in the practice of "shunning" people who have fallen off the wagon so to speak.

    I had a friend who used to go there and her description of it was different back in 07. Maybe they have changed, maybe she wasn't as into it as they are. Either way I find the place unsettling.
    Could it be the community they belong to? All of my friends who are Sojourners atrend the Shelby Park location. All of them were at SBTS in the social work program, and I used to work with them at SBUX. They've never exhibited the traits you describe. But there have been at least 2 other campuses open up.

    I would rather the closed churches be reborn as a new church than left to decay and eventually be torn down. And I find it admirable they choose to live and start businesses in the Shelby Park/Smoketown area. That area needed a change.

    Anyway...I haven't had the same experience at all. Just wondering if it's a matter of the campus culture.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I have never heard of sojourn. I don't even know what the word means.
    Sojourn Community Church ? Sojourn Network

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,919

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post

    Could it be the community they belong to? All of my friends who are Sojourners atrend the Shelby Park location. All of them were at SBTS in the social work program, and I used to work with them at SBUX. They've never exhibited the traits you describe. But there have been at least 2 other campuses open up.

    I would rather the closed churches be reborn as a new church than left to decay and eventually be torn down. And I find it admirable they choose to live and start businesses in the Shelby Park/Smoketown area. That area needed a change.

    Anyway...I haven't had the same experience at all. Just wondering if it's a matter of the campus culture.
    They attend the one on Shelby Street as well.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Yes, went from Baptist to Rationalist !

  15. #15
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Yes, went from Baptist to Rationalist !
    Thank you for the relevant, non- belittling contribution to the board. I really think that's the answer Thrillville was looking for.

    @Thrillville Cardinal51 , I must ask, why is it that you are leaving the Catholic Church, the only Church that can directly trace its lineage back to Jesus Himself?

Top