Best Mayfield Team ????

wildcatjack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcatjack

The 1978 Cards team was the best ever and was the most doninate. They were voted the number 1 team in the state reguardless of class. That team destroyed all takers that year winning by big numbers. That is also the theam that played Memphis Douglas and a team that at the time was ranked #1 in their state, East St. Louis Lincoln.

I think the 84 team may have been the best to have not won it all. That answer comes from hearing someone ask Coach Jack Morris which was his best team that did not win it and he said the 1984 team. That is the team that was leading Ft. KNox (in the semi state game) late and drove to the KNox goal line where they fumbled and knox scored on a 99 yard play then got the ball right back (I think on a on side kick) and then scored on a wild play to beat the Cards

The verdict is still out on this years team, If they can run the tables and go undefeated they will be considered to have been one of the best if they get beat they wont get any consideration at all.

This team at this point has had some lapses at times on both offense and defense that worry me. If they can get more consistent on offense look out our D is really good. But it is the mental mistakes and penalities that concern me. At Jackson Northside the missed blocks and penalities killed every 2nd half drive. Lester being out for the year really dampens my spirits, he will be greatly missed

It was the 77 team that beat East St.Louis...keep in mind the 77 season was the class that graduated in 78. I dont recall the 77 team playing Memphis Douglas..That team got beat By Nashville Brentwood Acedemy in the opening game of the year and then went undefeated the rest of the way...the 78 team may have played douglas...that was the team that went undefeated and beat somerset in the finals...

I have seen mayfield go to the passing game this year in non-passing situations (i.e. third down or long yardage ) more than ever before. Mayfield would almost never pass on first down (unless it was after a turnover), but they are this year. Mayfield is still a run oriented team...and with the line the cardinals have, that is not hard to understand why.

As for best team ever, I would have to agree on the 1978 team, but I would have to throw the 1977 team in there also. You are correct, wildcatjack, it was the '77 team that played two national powers in Brentwood and East St. Louis. After the loss to Brentwood, Mayfield didn't lose again until a VERY contreversial loss to Paducah Tilghman about halfway through the '79 season. In between the '77 team won a state championship, and so did the '78 team. It was the 1978 team that was voted best team of all in the state of Kentucky for that year. I don't think this team is as good as those two. But I would like to see Jay Burgett go aginst young Marcus Moss...that would be fun to watch.

Passing game didn't lose the game against Danville last year, the pass defense did. Frankly, it will take quite an effort for any 1A team to beat Danville.... last year, this year, next year and so on and so forth. They are number one in the bluegrass preps poll so someone must think they are the best team in 1A. I'm curious to see if MHS and DHS both win easily until they meet at sub state, but Mayfield throws 8 or 9 passes a game, completes one a week for lets say .... um .... 15 yd avg. Does Danville become the new number one going into sub state? :rolleyes:

Now to what this thread is actually about....

I agree that those teams of the late 70s were tops, but the teams of 86 and 87 were truly a family unit and were a great bunch of fellas. Great leadership with guys who knew when to have fun and when to get down to business.

I'm suprised to hear noone mention the '95 team. They only lost Hop-town that year in the game of the century. If there were 20 more seconds in the game Mayfield probably would have won that one. They then went on to stae to beat Beechwood 28-27. Beechwood had won like 3 or 4 straight titles and was expected to do so again. I've only been watching the Cards since the early 90's but that team was the best that I have seen. And don,t forget that 98' team that lost to Middlesboro in the finals. Or the 00' that lost to Danville in Danville. Mayfield has had several good teams. Noone can deny that.

I think the 77 team was the deepest team and had a better line

with Taylor and Sutherland manning the right side and opening up holes big enough for Vince Dawson to run through then the 78 team, plus they had all those guys who were also on that team as juniors..They won big every game with exception to Brentwood Academy and had a close call with 5a ill Powerhouse east st.louis and the rc thomas led corbin team who was extremely tough..

i'd rank them slightly ahead of the 78 team and then put the 95 team right there in a close 3rd...those guys could really execute and run the ball with starks and bright and had 1 heck of a swarming defense as well..

I think the 98 team was the best not to have won it..They came into the Middlesboro game undefeated and i think were let down when Beechwood got knocked out by the yellowjackets in the semis...that year, all the discussion was about mfd/beechwwood,much like it is this year with danville/mfd...still, they were a very strong group, especially defensively...i'd put them a little ahead of the 76 team as far as best not to have won it all...that team had a great running game with David Fisher and Gaylon wilson and had a great defense led by the 2 Raymond brothers,plus they had a great jr and soph class which suplied them with alot of depth...

This years team has a ways to go to be mentioned with all the alltime great ones,but , i will say this..their line stacks up pretty well with any and their defense may bend but rarely breaks..They need to improve on the offensive side,both running and passing and if they can do that and get by danville and win it all, i'd put them right in the mix with the others..thats a big if but its not out of the question..

GURU. THAT GAME WAS NO INDICATION OF WHAT TYPE TEAM MAYFIELD HAD THAT YEAR..I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT..THEY SIMPLY CAME OUT FLAT AND MIDDLESBORO TOOK IT RIGHT AT THEM...I DON'T AGREE IT COULD HAVE GOTTEN UGLY THOUGH BECAUSE MAYFIELD PLAYED PRETTY WELL IN THE SECOND HALF , AT LEAST, FROM THE 20 TO THE 20 BUT COULD ONLY PUSH ACROSS 1 SCORE AND MIDDLESBORO WAS SHUT DOWN IN THE 2ND HALF PRETTY WELL..

THE CSORE ENDED UP 27-7 I THINK AND IT WAS 20 ZIP AT THE HALF...JUST 1 OF THOSE GAMES AND GIVE MIDDLESBORO SOME CREDIT..THEY HAD AN OUTSTANDING TEAM THAT YEAR AS WELL AND GOT HOT AT THE RIGHT TIME...