What Advantage?

Rickyp

I have asked these questions on other threads concerning Public vs. Private schools. I really don't know the answer and would really appreciate any imput.

My questions are, if a public school has open enrollment, in other words, they can accept students from outside their district boundries and not charge them tuition. Then how are they at a disadvantage compaired to private schools? What rule(s), if any, are different for private schools or public schools?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of schools do this. They have an agreement with neighboring counties to release kids into their District if they live close. Jefferson Co has no lines. I think Bowling Green's top player pays to be in their School District.

Ricky P, I think you are missing the point here. There are advantages. Some schools receive an amount of money from everybody who pays a utility bill in that school district, some schools recieve money from the state and federal government to not only hire teachers, but to build new libraries and athletic buildings, some schools have busses that go to a student's house and picks them up, and some schools have free and reduced lunch programs for virtually any student who asks for it. And by the way no student is charged tuition to attend these schools. There clearly is an advantage.

In Northern Kentucky it is my understanding that a student in the Kenton County school district can attend any of the 3 schools they wish (Simon Kenton, Scott, or Dixie). I believe the only limitation is that you have to provide you own transportation if you choose a school other than the one you would have normally been assigned to attend.

In Northern Kentucky it is my understanding that a student in the Kenton County school district can attend any of the 3 schools they wish (Simon Kenton, Scott, or Dixie). I believe the only limitation is that you have to provide you own transportation if you choose a school other than the one you would have normally been assigned to attend.

You are correct, and you don't even pay a pitance in tuition, or whatever you may want to call it. They also have some of the best facilities in the area, or are building new ones. The middle school disparages are even worse. Summit View and soon to be Twinhoffel's gyms (Kenton County middle schools) are nicer than any private high school gym in NKY!! So WHO exactly has the advantages??

ttt

By the way this question can be answered by anyone. The longer it goes without a response from a public school supporter the more I have to believe that there is no advantage.

I am simply tired of answering it. Out of my posts, it seems that 1/2 have been answering this or a similar question.

Not all schools have open enrollment and I see very little reason why academically they should. It is not the responsibility of a county public school to educate anyone but those that support the school through taxes. While some say that the restrainments are being set by the school's own board, I say it is a restraint that is the correct move. Thus, by a school board looking at what is best for the school academically it sets an advantage up for the private schools.

The private schools by nature SHOULD pull from surrounding counties.

Concerning enrollment, the private schools are setup as they should be. THe public schools are setup as they should be. Thus, two schools competing that are not on the same level playing field.

Fire away. Day is almost over though and I may not be back on the computer till Monday. Not running from the debate, just have a jam-packed weekend.

I am simply tired of answering it. Out of my posts, it seems that 1/2 have been answering this or a similar question.

Not all schools have open enrollment and I see very little reason why academically they should. It is not the responsibility of a county public school to educate anyone but those that support the school through taxes. While some say that the restrainments are being set by the school's own board, I say it is a restraint that is the correct move. Thus, by a school board looking at what is best for the school academically it sets an advantage up for the private schools.

Concerning enrollment, the private schools are setup as they should be. THe public schools are setup as they should be. Thus, two schools competing that are not on the same level playing field.

Fire away. Day is almost over though and I may not be back on the computer till Monday. Not running from the debate, just have a jam-packed weekend.

Just because some schools choose not to participate in "open enrollment" practices, doesn't mean they aren't available to them. The fact is some schools do practice open enrollment. So if it's not fair that public schools have to compete with private schools for the reason you state, then isn't just as unfair to have to compete with public schools practicing open enrollment? Let's have a third division.

I am going to repeat here a similar statement with additions to something that I said in another thread...Attending a private or Catholic school is not an advantage, it is a "choice." You do not have to be wealthy to make that choice, you just have to be willing to sacrifice financially to support your values.

When I chose to send my three children to Catholic schools beginning first with their grade school, I did so because I wanted them to have a Catholic education. Athletics didn't enter into that decision, religion and values did.

I didn't know when my children started school that they would be blessed and afforded the opportunity to all three be college athletes.

I am submitting this post under my husbands name. I suppose I should contact the guru and reactivate my old user name so that when our Knightbird posts pop up folks can differentiate with who is whom.

You are correct, and you don't even pay a pitance in tuition, or whatever you may want to call it. They also have some of the best facilities in the area, or are building new ones. The middle school disparages are even worse. Summit View and soon to be Twinhoffel's gyms (Kenton County middle schools) are nicer than any private high school gym in NKY!! So WHO exactly has the advantages??

Kenton County school district period has the advantage over any private school in the county.

They have better facilities and open enrollment. Plus its cheaper to attend school. Thats why you don't see Kenton County schools complaining.

Private Schools Holy Cross and Covington Catholic can only pull kids from the Parishes or the community of that parish without the students paying an even higher tution cost. Which if i'm not mistaken HC and CCH only have Kenton County. The county is split between the two.

Private Schools Holy Cross and Covington Catholic can only pull kids from the Parishes or the community of that parish without the students paying an even higher tution cost. Which if i'm not mistaken HC and CCH only have Kenton County. The county is split between the two.

;):D:rolleyes: O.K. bigstud, you just keep on telling yourself that.. Sooner or later you just might convince yourself. :D

;):D:rolleyes: O.K. bigstud, you just keep on telling yourself that.. Sooner or later you just might convince yourself. :D

Its a fact BigZig. I got facts to back my statements up you have nothing but what you want to believe. There are written guidelines on who the school accepts and how much they must pay. This is undisputable as much as you want to dispute it.

O.K. bigstud. Was it Ronald Reagan who said "There You Go again"? You are always so easy to bite whenever this issue is brought up. Very defensive. I'm not disputing anything you say whatsoever. You can fill your so called facts. I simply know what I know and that is what bothers you the most.