5 of the 8 State Finalist are Private. Does Propostion 20 hold water?

kissinger

Before anyone jumps on this, please think about it. Is all this debate really about private schools alone? Or does it involve a multitude of things. For example, this week's football finals do not involve a single true public county districted school. Five private schools, and three independent districts. And the three independents have great trade agreements with other local school districts to exchange students outside of the old census boundaries that the law used to create independent districts.

So before we go casting out all of the privates into one boat, is that really this issue? And look at a couple of the other teams that lost in the semifinals. Bardstown Independent. Somerset Independent. DeSales (another private). And that's just in the smaller classes. And don't forget Belfry who may not have all of its students living permanently in the state of Kentucky.

Is the problem really the private part, or is it that groups that are smaller (or at least have a strong common thread like a legacy of attending the same school as occurs at X and T in Louisville) seem to stay together longer.

Just fodder for discussion. The point being that if you end up with a separate championship, when do you also have a division for the 76 independent school districts. And not to mention the Male/Manual/Butler/Central situation which has been debated on here before.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 out of the 8 teams in the state finals are CATHOLIC PRIVATE SCHOOLS. What a percentage!!!! :sssh:

I am rooting for all the PRIVATE SCHOOLS to win so that the state can fully recognize that just maybe :rolleyes: , just maybe, the playing field isn't as level as it could be.

Go ST.X :thumb:

Go Trinity :banana:

Go Newport Central :D

Go Lexington Catholic :lol:

Go Owensboro Catholic :laugh:

5 out of the 8 teams in the state finals are CATHOLIC PRIVATE SCHOOLS. What a percentage!!!! :sssh:

I am rooting for all the PRIVATE SCHOOLS to win so that the state can fully recognize that just maybe :rolleyes: , just maybe, the playing field isn't as level as it could be.

Go ST.X :thumb:

Go Trinity :banana:

Go Newport Central :D

Go Lexington Catholic :lol:

Go Owensboro Catholic :laugh:

A similar number in reverse usually exists in the sweet sixteen. How does that happen? Why no talk over the years of public school domination in basketball? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about this when i read the paper this morning... The private schools really do dominate in both sports. But I'm willing to bet that all this does is put these guys in a state championship game EVERY year, and that title looses it value when much fewer teams are contending for it. X and T better get ready to play eachother twice every year from now on.

I was just thinking about this when i read the paper this morning... The private schools really do dominate in both sports. But I'm willing to bet that all this does is put these guys in a state championship game EVERY year, and that title looses it value when much fewer teams are contending for it. X and T better get ready to play eachother twice every year from now on.

Yeah the other day I overheard T & X coaches saying they needed to get more trophy cases for all those state basketball trophies they have won :rolleyes: :lol:

And after which teams wins, whether it's all Catholic or not, the better teams won! I'm hoping LexCath, St. X(for more than one reason) ;) and NewCath(beause half the kids are from Ft. Thomas) win, no connections with AA, because I would rather say at least my team lost to the best. Then I'll worry about how do I as a parent help my son get better to "Win" next year.

Why are you now alarmed?

Trinity and St. X have certainly played in a state final or two previously. NCC was in three in a row in the 80s and played in 2000 and 2001. LexCath is new to the finals (some say they should have been there many times already) but CovCath certainly played in several 3A finals in the 80s and 90s. Owensboro Catholic was there previously and 2A is always wide open with a lot of teams having a good shot at making the finals.

Are you equally alarmed when Beechwood, Highlands, and Boyle County are in the finals year after year after year?

My only question is this: How can two schools in the same city be in the state championship?

The Answer: Because the KHSAA is scared to death of them....Maybe someday somebody with some guts will guide the KHSAA and redistrict things the way they should be. I mean it can't be geography.....it has to be that someone writes some big checks to someone and thus one is east and one is west....get real...is that a level playing field...put them both where they should be....in the same district.

Why are you now alarmed?

Trinity and St. X have certainly played in a state final or two previously. NCC was in three in a row in the 80s and played in 2000 and 2001. LexCath is new to the finals (some say they should have been there many times already) but CovCath certainly played in several 3A finals in the 80s and 90s. Owensboro Catholic was there previously and 2A is always wide open with a lot of teams having a good shot at making the finals.

Are you equally alarmed when Beechwood, Highlands, and Boyle County are in the finals year after year after year?

No i understand that St. X and Trinity are the year in and year out favorites to win the Class 4A state title each year and NCC traditionally plays in a state title game every couple of years, Covington Catholic is usually a state title contender year in and year out and Owensboro Catholic has been in the two state title games the past two years. My question is how many private schools are throughout the state total and of that total 5 made the state finals.

If you look at this teams Beechwood and Highlands, each one has its up and down years, not from the top to the bottom but regional final champ to 3 games and out. Now as from Boyle County, they were down this year but there isnt a private school to draw their players away nearby only the city school of Danville. What stands out to me is this, go by geographical locations, In northern Ky the main two private schools are Covington Catholic and NCC, one of those two made it and the other lost to another private school in the playoffs. In the Lexington area, you have the main private being Lexington Catholic, which made it this year for the first time in its history i believe. In the Louisville area you have the two main privates being Trinity and St. X which are in the state title game year in and year out. And in Western Ky you have the main private school being Owensboro Catholic which the past two years has been in the state title game. Just a statistic that needs looked at.