"Open Enrollment" -- is it fair?

GoBigRed

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I would try to help myself understand it. Apparently the City of Louisville was broken up into districts in the past and now a student can just enroll in any school he chooses without any kind of penalty. Why was the districts removed and how is this fair to rural schools in the state that don't have the population to pull from? The example that I have is Christian County, how can they ever compete with Male, St. X or Trinity when they don't even have 1/8 of the students to draw from?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I would try to help myself understand it. Apparently the City of Louisville was broken up into districts in the past and now a student can just enroll in any school he chooses without any kind of penalty. Why was the districts removed and how is this fair to rural schools in the state that don't have the population to pull from? The example that I have is Christian County, how can they ever compete with Male, St. X or Trinity when they don't even have 1/8 of the students to draw from?

The reason for doing it has nothing to do with athletics, and I think the Louisville policy should be used in every metro area in the US...

This obviously can only happen in areas with large populations in a relatively small geographical area.

Secondly, as GT said, it has nothing to do with sports nor should it.

I don't think the ability or inability to win a state championship in sports should have any part in the decision.

Lastly, the KHSAA rules on transferring still apply.

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time during football season defending and explaining the open enrollment policy in Jefferson County, and the defense of private schools, than I do discussing football! :creepy:

Here's a really, really simplistic version, and I'm sure some of the public school, and other more knowledgeable posters, can explain further.

In a nutshell, to offer more choices to students, the Jefferson County adopted a Magnet System of education. Certain schools offer certain programs, etc. Additionally, there is the Traditional program, which Male is a part of. In a nutshell, kids are able to apply to one of the Magnet or Traditional programs, and if accepted, are able to attend that school whether they live in that district or not. If a kid does not apply, or isn't accepted, into a Magnet or Traditional program, then they attend their district school, unless approved for a hardship change.

Here's more information from the JCPS: Choices! Guide Book. (PDF file)

Also, to answer your question point blank, yes, it's fair. It's 100% completely fair to the people who it affect, the students....ALL of them.

"School Choice": http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/AboutUs/Choice.html

High school open enrollment gives all incoming ninth-grade students an extra opportunity to choose a school. It offers a student who isn't interested in magnet or optional choices the opportunity to apply to a high school other than his or her resides school.

Yeah, or in other words, "The optional choice to apply to a school where football is a huge factor".

It may not have anything to do with sports, but it is an advantage, there is no denying it. If it was only about academics you wouldn't see these powerhouse athelic programs like you do today.

Yeah, or in other words, "The optional choice to apply to a school where football is a huge factor".

It may not have anything to do with sports, but it is an advantage, there is no denying it. If it was only about academics you wouldn't see these powerhouse athelic programs like you do today.

First, you asked if it was fair, not if it was an advantage.

Secondly, a kid should be happy at school, for whatever reason, and if the choice is made at the time they're beginning their high school careers, it's still fair.

The point is, the decision to go to open enrollment was not made with the express purpose of establishing sports dynasties, as some would like to believe. It is for greater academic freedom among students, helping them get a leg up on college. Athletics is just a by-product.

This has been an on going debate in the Pulaski Co. area. Coach Cobb of Somerset High School has make it known several times about kids being able to change schools. In Pulaski Co. we have three high schools two county and one city. Coach Cobb has said how is it a level playing feild for his school, the city kids can either go to Somerset or into the county schools but the county kids don't have the same advantage. Just throwing this out there!!!!

The point is, the decision to go to open enrollment was not made with the express purpose of establishing sports dynasties, as some would like to believe. It is for greater academic freedom among students, helping them get a leg up on college. Athletics is just a by-product.

And I think you are right. I am sure that the people that created the open enrollment idea's original intention was to benefit academics. But there should be regulations on the athletic side of it, the rest of the state's districts are regulated in some fashion, why shouldn't athletics be regulated in Louisville?

I don't see the difference in an advantage and being fair, rockmom. It is an advantage and it isn't fair.

First, you asked if it was fair, not if it was an advantage.

Secondly, a kid should be happy at school, for whatever reason, and if the choice is made at the time they're beginning their high school careers, it's still fair.

You're exactly correct. The purspose of any rule concering where a student should be allowed to go, should have to do with making the High School experience as positive as possible. If that gives an advantage to some schools - so be it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Kids should be allowed to attend whatever school that they like. They should be able to play int he band, be on the academic team, and play sports without penalty for choosing what is best for them.

Those that don't like it, should stop focusing on how it might negatively impact their team's chance to win a particular game - and worry more about how the student can improve his or her situation.