Walton Verona 37 Shelby Valley 31

I was there, just as a fan - drove down for the day - no rooting interest other than I like to see local northern teams do well...

For those of you who are want to give lots of credit to the coaching staff, I would 100% agree with you. First time I've seen them in a couple years, but they are as I remember them...tough, disciplined on both ends of the court.

Score was 26-9 WV at the half and they were up 18 half way thru the third. WV defense was almost suffocating - SV is not strong in the middle - WV did an excellent job of not letting shooters get good looks (good coaching).

SV decided to go in to a frenetic on ball and total denial trapping man. They were able to create a fair amount of turnovers, and got to within 3 with about three minutes to go. Turnovers are going to happen against that kind of defense. The only learning I see for WV is shot selection. Layups are available against that kind of defense if you can be patient...WV seemed too content to take a contested midrange jumper immediately after breaking the first line of the defense.

The good news for tomorrow and Sunday hopefully - they only gave up 31 points to a pretty good team, and probably 20 were in transition created by the frenetic defense.

Here's my fearless forecast for tomorrow...WV by 3 in a very low scoring game - over/under at 66. Owensboro is a half court team - if 44 on WV can be physical on 22 for OC (their D1 stud) without fouling, OC will not score alot of points.

I was there, just as a fan - drove down for the day - no rooting interest other than I like to see local northern teams do well...

For those of you who are want to give lots of credit to the coaching staff, I would 100% agree with you. First time I've seen them in a couple years, but they are as I remember them...tough, disciplined on both ends of the court.

Score was 26-9 WV at the half and they were up 18 half way thru the third. WV defense was almost suffocating - SV is not strong in the middle - WV did an excellent job of not letting shooters get good looks (good coaching).

SV decided to go in to a frenetic on ball and total denial trapping man. They were able to create a fair amount of turnovers, and got to within 3 with about three minutes to go. Turnovers are going to happen against that kind of defense. The only learning I see for WV is shot selection. Layups are available against that kind of defense if you can be patient...WV seemed too content to take a contested midrange jumper immediately after breaking the first line of the defense.

The good news for tomorrow and Sunday hopefully - they only gave up 31 points to a pretty good team, and probably 20 were in transition created by the frenetic defense.

Here's my fearless forecast for tomorrow...WV by 3 in a very low scoring game - over/under at 66. Owensboro is a half court team - if 44 on WV can be physical on 22 for OC (their D1 stud) without fouling, OC will not score alot of points.

Is Shelby Valley the team with Cassidy Rowe, girl going to Kentucky? And WV held them to 31 pts? That is suffocating defense. How did that play out?

Edited by hydraman
Spelling

Yes, it is. I didn't realize they had a Ky commit until you mentioned it and I looked her up. She's only a sophomore, I think, so lots of upside potential to be developed before she walks on the court at UK. Apparently she's just coming off injury - from the stats she has only played in a few games, and has less than 10 shots on the year. I'm guessing she played very little yesterday...I've been around enough to recognize a D1 player, especially a Ky recruit. I hope her recovery continues well.

I saw all four games yesterday, and they run together a bit. From what I remember WV was in an extended 2-3, in hindsight probably a match up of sorts to keep the shooters from getting a good look. SV did a lot of dribble drive - I remember thinking I really liked what they were doing on offense...they just couldn't hit. But, WV closed well on the ball without losing shooters in help.

From what I remember at least.