Covington Catholic 90 Ryle 53

Credit to Ryle for hanging in and playing aggressively to start the game. Not a great time to have your point guard sick and 3 or 4 others out. Leading by 7 into the second quarter was pretty amazing. Playing 6 or 7 against CovCath pressure was too much to ask. They did keep it around 20 for most of the third and into the fourth. The Colonels will win their third state title in my opinion.

Covington Catholic 90, Ryle 53

Ryle (7-9): Bishop 2 0 5, Bush 5 3 16, Hill 2 0 5, Caggiano 6 2 15, Fryman 3 0 7, King 2 0 5. Totals: 20 5 53.

Covington Catholic (13-3): Diskin 8 3 23, Stocks 6 5 17, Green 8 0 16, Starks 4 1 9, Hupmann 7 0 14, Hrycak 1 0 3, Sommerkamp 2 1 5, Jackson 0 1 1, Skinner 1 0 2. Totals: 37 11 90.

Halftime: CC 50-35. 3-pointers: CC 5 (Diskin 4, Hrycak), R 8 (Bush 3, Bishop, Hill, Caggiano, Fryman, King).

Bush and Caggiano were hot from outside in the first quarter for Ryle. Sometimes you have to tip you hat to the other team.

I don’t know them by name/face. How did the big boy for Ryle do? Is he Caggiano?

I keep seeing all of the "so much upside" talk for Cov Cath. At what point will it be just dominating from start to finish? Not saying that they aren't good because they are and their size is not easy to match up with, but when they play top teams in the state, these slow starts will kill them.

I keep seeing all of the "so much upside" talk for Cov Cath. At what point will it be just dominating from start to finish? Not saying that they aren't good because they are and their size is not easy to match up with, but when they play top teams in the state, these slow starts will kill them.

Who knows when it will happen or if it will happen. All teams develop at their own pace. If/when Mayer returns, there will be some time needed to fit him into the rotation. As long as the team is playing at a high level when the district tourney gets here, that all that really matters. The regular season games are good for fine tuning a team, but nobody will remember January games when the post season starts.