12th Region Week 6 Review

1) Somerset (13-2) – Somerset stays on top this week with wins over McCreary County Central and Casey County. Kade Grundy saw limited action between the two games, not playing against McCreary and only scoring 8 against Casey County. The All A Regional starts this week at Burgin and the Briar Jumpers open up against Washington County.

2) Danville (13-4) – Danville is knocking on the door of the top spot and it may very well be the case that next week’s number 1 is the All A Regional Champ. Danville knocked off district foes Boyle County and Lincoln County as well as blowing out Casey County. They open their venture in the All A with Danville Christian.

3) Lincoln County (10-4) – The Patriots slipped by with a 3 point win over West Jessamine before dropping an overtime loss to Danville. Their schedule doesn’t get any easier as they go on this week to face Pulaski County and Boyle County. The Danville loss puts Lincoln behind the eight ball in terms of getting the number 1 seed in the district, so the Boyle game has now become incredibly important.

4) Pulaski County (12-3) – The Maroons stay put this week with wins over Central Kentucky HomeSchool and Rockcastle County. They have a big week ahead with games against Lincoln County and Southwestern. Pulaski has four averaging in double figures in points – Zach Travis, Colton Fraley, Caleb Sloan and KJ Combs.

5) Southwestern (11-6) – Southwestern defeated Garrard County and McCreary Central before losing by 1 in overtime to North Laurel. They face Estill County and Pulaski County as well as Tates Creek. Brayden Sims continues to average a double-double with 12.3 points per game and 10.4 rebounds per game.

6) West Jessamine (9-7) – West dropped a close one at Lincoln County but did get a road win at Model. They have one game this week, a trip to the other side of Nicholasville against East Jessamine. A win puts them in the driver’s seat in the district.

7) Mercer County (9-6) – Mercer County beat Garrard County in their first 2A sectional game but were knocked out in the next game 60-57 to juggernaut Lexington Catholic in what was almost a huge upset. The Titans play Boyle County and Corbin this week.

8) East Jessamine (10-5) – The Jaguars bounced back this week with a pair of wins over Western Hills and Whitley County. They face Madison Southern this week before hosting city rival West Jessamine.

9) Wayne County (9-6) – Wayne County had a win this week against Perry County Central, 80 – 64. They host South Laurel this week before heading to McCreary County Central.

10) Boyle County (6-5) – The Rebels dropped two games against stiff competition, Danville and Lexington Catholic. They play Mercer County and Lincoln County to continue their difficult January schedule.

11) McCreary County Central (7-10) – The Raiders faced a tough past week, dropping all three games to Somerset, Southwestern, and Corbin. They face Russell County and Wayne County this week, their rematch with Southwestern looming soon after.

12) Danville Christian (9-5) – Danville Christian took care of business against the Kentucky School for the Deaf but lost in overtime at Portland Christian to end their winning streak.

13) Rockcastle County (4-11) – The Rockets defeated Sayre 46-45 before losing to Pulaski County and Russell County. They play North Laurel and Casey County this week. Will Bishop and Daniel Mullins are both averaging roughly 11 points per game.

14) Garrard County (2-11) – The Sebastianless Golden Lions’ troubles continued with losses against Southwestern and Mercer County. They travel to Western Hills and Madison Southern this week.

15) Casey County (2-14) – Casey County defeated Burgin but lost to regional contenders Somerset and Danville. They host Anderson County and Rockcastle County this week.

16) Burgin (1 – 13) – Burgin fell to Casey County, Owsley County, and Fort Knox. They host the All A this week.

17) Kentucky School for the Deaf (0-6) – The Colonels fell to Danville Christian and failed to win at the Leopards Basketball Tournament in Arkansas.

I'm still putting my money on Lincoln and Pulaski when it's all said and done.

I get Lincoln. Their style of play and defense make them a contender. What is it about Pulaski you think makes them a contender? Their best win is probably West Jessamine. Tonight is a big game hosting Lincoln.

Pulaski has yet to really hit the hardest part of their schedule. Tonight and the next few weeks will really show how good they are. I will say they are amongst the most balanced of the teams in the top ten.

If you asked me today to pick a favorite, I would also find it really hard not to pick Lincoln.

I was at the PC/LC game last night. Pulaski has a collective physicality on their roster. All their rotation guys are very strong, and they play together well. Nothing wows you, but they aren't going to beat themselves. Fraley and Oaks are a nice inside/out Combo.

LC is struggling to score the last few games. Do they have significant players out?

Or is their any argument that Jaxon Smith, albeit a good player, is not fulfilling the “star” billing like some thought he would and the offense is struggling because of it?

Lincoln is only averaging 48 points a game and scored 50 last night and 49 the game before against Danville in a loss. Their style of play wins more games for them than the players on their roster.

I noted to the guy I was sitting with last night that Lincoln won the opening tip, and chewed 50 secs off the clock the very first possession of the game.

I noted to the guy I was sitting with last night that Lincoln won the opening tip, and chewed 50 secs off the clock the very first possession of the game.

Similar to Tubby Ball at UK. Players don't like to play that style and fans don't like to watch it but ultimately the goal is to win games and in high school you can win a lot of games playing good defense and reducing possessions.

Similar to Tubby Ball at UK. Players don't like to play that style and fans don't like to watch it but ultimately the goal is to win games and in high school you can win a lot of games playing good defense and reducing possessions.

I agree it keeps you in it, and wins a ton of games.

Garrard Co. won at Western Hills 62-53. Brayden Sebastian Made his return for the Lions with 28 Pts and 10 rebounds. I thought it was worth noting. Here’s to hoping the SR. finishes his prep career healthy and injury free!

Just a completely different team with Sebastian on the floor. I'm glad he's back obviously. Here's hoping the Golden Lions can get hot on the back half of the schedule.