Calvary Christian To Forego 19-20 Basketball Season

It was announced today that Calvary Christian will forego the 2019-20 Girls Basketball season.

This will cause a shakeup in the 10th Region All "A" Classic Bracket, and send teams scheduled to play the Lady Cougars this season to scurry to fill now vacant game dates.

Hopefully, the Lady Cougars will be able to re-group and field a team moving forward.

With the defection of Calvary Christian, the 37th District now becomes a 3 Team District.

Have they been practicing the last several weeks? I can't get over how odd the timing of this is.

I'm not in the inner circle, but do have some info on the matter. They did kick off with practices on October like other high schools. However, they had only 7 players from 7th-12th grade at that point. Over the last few weeks they added two high schoolers to their roster. But with a handful of the middle schoolers being fairly injury prone, and the team not possessing much depth, the decision was made by parents, AD Leach, and first year Head Coach Pierson to discontinue the season. It sounds like there was every intention to have a season and Coach Pierson did everything he could to assemble and train a team. But ultimately they felt that the girls would not be a safe position with the players they had to move forward.

Disappointing timing for other schools, but a just a very difficult situation to navigate for their program. I do believe there were 18 players in the program last year. Most of them young.