Marvin vs. The Mess

I look at this mess of a season with the Bengals sitting 0-9, and the crazy thought came to mind. How good was Marvin Lewis and what would this team look like with him as head coach?

The way this team is playing right now makes me have big doubts about the current coaches. There is no way the Bengals would be 0-9 and looking hopeless with Marvin. I don't want Marvin back and am glad the Bengals moved on, but this coaching staff looks lost.

Definitely just has a lot more to do with this coaching staff just not being any good. I don’t think anyone ever accused Marvin of being a bad football coach. He just could never win the big game. It was time to move on without a doubt, but they would be better this year with Marvin.

I look at this mess of a season with the Bengals sitting 0-9, and the crazy thought came to mind. How good was Marvin Lewis and what would this team look like with him as head coach?

The way this team is playing right now makes me have big doubts about the current coaches. There is no way the Bengals would be 0-9 and looking hopeless with Marvin. I don't want Marvin back and am glad the Bengals moved on, but this coaching staff looks lost.

Have to keep in mind that last year the defense was horrible too. The defense last year was even worst. Then at the start of the season last year when they won some games. They also had Green playing and making a big impact on games.

So considering the defense was historically bad last year when he was here. No reason to think the defense would be better this year under him. Then offensively wouldn't have Green, and he was not a fan of John Ross, and didn't seem to big on Tate either. So maybe with him and having experience they maybe could have pulled off a win. However, I think even the players were ready for a change. So hard to tell what kind of effort they would have gave with hearing the same message for the 17th year. So imo they maybe have one win at most even if he was here.

I agree and have thought this too. They made the right decision to move on from Marvin Lewis and his staff, but the one that’s been assembled seems as lost as the players do.

Definitely just has a lot more to do with this coaching staff just not being any good. I don’t think anyone ever accused Marvin of being a bad football coach. He just could never win the big game. It was time to move on without a doubt, but they would be better this year with Marvin.

You know the current staff is struggling when people are looking back fondly on the Marvin years.

Guys the defense was historically bad under Marvin last year. It is still the same defensive players. The offense he would have been without Green this whole year so far, and one of the decent receivers this year in Tate is someone Marvin didn't seem to fond of. So I am not sure which games could have expected a different result. I think at most maybe they have one win if he was still here.

They werent going to beat Seattle in Seattle under Marvin. They weren't going to beat the Ravens this year with Marvin, and the Steelers always beat him. They weren't going to beat the Rams with Marvin. Buffalo has shown to be a good team this year, so doubtful they beat them with Marvin with no Green. So the only 2 games that maybe they could have won were the Jags and Cardinals. Which chances being they maybe win only one of those. So I am not sure where people maybe would think it would be really any better? Only difference is maybe only one game.

Read on the Bengals website where Taylor said that there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN the Ravens should have completed that first pass against the coverage they were in, sssoooo, is that the players not paying attention/not understanding/not caring OR is it the coaches teaching it poorly OR a combination of all the above???

Read on the Bengals website where Taylor said that there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN the Ravens should have completed that first pass against the coverage they were in, sssoooo, is that the players not paying attention/not understanding/not caring OR is it the coaches teaching it poorly OR a combination of all the above???

Taylor threw the gauntlet down on the players with that comment.

I thought he did too, we’ll see how well that goes over. Was he ready to be a head coach guys??

Probably not but we have him now and I expect him back next year unless there is a mutiny. Hopefully he learns and adapts quickly.

I honestly think as a head coach he knows what he is doing and try to build the team up the right way, and establish a good culture. He was given the exact same players on defense that almost set a record for being the worst ever last year. So the defense being horrible is no surprise. My biggest issue with him is as a play caller. I do think he has struggled in the department.

For me I think he deserves at least 3 years, so 2 more after this. Let him draft his QB first next year. See if he learns from his mistakes as a play caller next year. If it is still a struggle, give up the play calling duties in year 3. After year 3 if it is still bad you have to move on from him. If the Bengals draft a qb first next year, then in my opinion the window for them to hopefully be contending should open in 2022. Which would be year 3 of the starting new qb, and hopefully more pieces around the qb by then. So you don't go into 2022 with Taylor as the head coach, if he hasnt shown much improvement by 2021.