Central Kentucky/ Lexington Power Rankings (FINAL)

The regular season has been completed and we start some playoff games as soon as tonight. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading about CKY as much as I have enjoyed putting this together for you all every week. This will be the final ranking with a playoff outlook for the top 15.

The Top 10

1. Boyle County (4A, 10-0, RPI .730)

The Rebels completed the undefeated regular season with a 42-7 win over Madison Southern. Boyle wasn’t as sharp as they have been in previous games but were still good enough to get a running clock late in the first half and get the starters out of the game injury free. Reese Smith only played a couple of drives only catching one pass for 12 yards. QB Reed Lanter threw for 141 yards and 2 scores on the night.

Playoff Outlook: Boyle is the favorite to win the 4A state title. They don’t look to face a real threat until the state finals where Johnson Central should be waiting. Boyle hold the #1 RPI in the class and will have home field through the playoffs.

2. Frederick Douglass (5A, 10-0, RPI .681)

The Broncos defense was unable to maintain its scoreless streak but was able to slow down Beau Allen and Lexington Catholic enough to win 42-31, finishing their regular season 10-0. Darius and Devin Neal combined for 196 yards on the ground and 3 TDs.

Playoff Outlook: Everyone will be watching the district final matchup between Frederick Douglass and Scott County to see if the Broncos can finally win a big game when it matters. If they can get past Scott County I see the Broncos making it to Kroger Field for the State Title game. The Broncos will have home field advantage until the finals.

3. Scott County (5A, 9-1, RPI .667)

Scott County had their Bye week last week to rest up for what they hope is a deep playoff run.

Playoff Outlook: Scott County will be looking to get revenge on Frederick Douglas in round 2 (district championship). The Douglass D was too much for the Cards in their regular season matchup. While I don’t foresee a shutout this time around I see Douglass coming away victorious. If Scott County can pull the upset I can see them playing at Kroger field in early December.

4. Franklin County (4A, 10-0, RPI .697)

I said in the preseason that Franklin County has all the pieces to do something special but may be a year out from a serious run in 4A. I was close in my assessment. The Flyers handled Great Crossing this past Friday 55-14). Nick Broyles took care of business passing for 268 yards and 3 scores and ran for 121 yards and another 3 TDs. Fred Farrier hit the century mark in receiving yards and had 2 scores himself. Brady Holleran had a game defensively with 15 tackles and a whopping 4.5 sacks!

Playoff Outlook: a possible rematch with Central in the district finals will be a dandy. Franklin County escaped with a 14-12 win in the first matchup. I can see Franklin County making it as far as the Semifinals where Johnson Central will be waiting.

5. Lexington Christian Academy (2A, 9-1, RPI .777)

The Eagles are fresh off a nice 35-7 win over a good Paintsville team. Jayden Barnhardt put up 299 yards and 3 scores through the air. Leading receiver was none other than DeAirious Smith who hauled in 13 passes for 237 yards and 3 scores.

Playoff Outlook: The Eagles will kickoff the playoffs with Washington County, a team they beat 36-0 a couple weeks ago. A Somerset, LCA rematch is inevitable in round 2. The Eagles season could end here. If they survive round 2 I can see the Eagles being a real threat to win the 2A title.

6. Lexington Catholic (4A, 6-4, RPI .777)

Lex Cath got down early and made a comeback to make the final score of 42-31 seem more respectable. Beau Allen didn’t have his best night. He passed for 286 yards 1 score and 2 INTs. Jackson Corbett was the leading receiver with 10 catches for 83 yards.

Playoff Outlook: Put Lex Cath in any other district and I’d say they are looking at a region final or even a possible semifinal appearance. Unfortunately for Lex Cath, Boyle will be waiting in round 2. All signs point to the end of the road at this point.

7. East Jessamine (5A, 8-2, RPI .538)

The Jags ended their regular season with a 43-0 win over Western Hills. Leading the rushing attack for East was Valdon Miles with 182 yards and 3 scores on just 10 carries. Defensively Nathan Davis stood out with 3 sacks on the night.

Playoff Outlook: Even though they are the District 1 seed and should advance through the district championship, their RPI doesn’t help them as they should end up matched with undefeated Frederick Douglass in the 3rd round. If it works out that way this is where the road will end but it will still be a great season overall for East Jessamine.

8. Mercer County (3A, 8-2, RPI .637)

Mercer finished their best regular season since 2006 with a 36-0 win over winless West Jessamine. A couple bright spots for the Titans were Bryson Yeast, 15 tackles, 2 scores and Brayden Dunn who had 82 yards and a score on the ground.

Playoff Outlook:CAL comes to Mercer looking to get revenge on a mid season45-42 loss for Round 1. If Mercer makes it through round 1, DeSales will be waiting for them in round 2.

9. Tates Creek (6A, 6-4, RPI. 545)

Creek ended the last game of the regular season with a bang, beating Pulaski County 38-7. Luke Duby showed out, passing for 537 yards and 5 scores, while Miles Thomas caught 7 of those for 265 and 2 scores.

Playoff Outlook: Creek will start with probably the best winless team in the state, Henry Clay. The Devils recently got DJ VanHorn back so that will help the Devils offensively. I think Creek will be the official District winner but bow out in round 3.

10. George Rogers Clark (6A, 6-4, RPI .508)

The Cardinals rode a late season surge to secure the 1 seed and they continued that surge to en route to a 38-34 win over Conner. RB Azariah Israel got a heavy workload, running 36 times for 250 yards and 3 TDs. Dawson Gay had a nice day from his receiver spot with 85 yards and a TD on 8 catches.

Playoff Outlook: The Cardinals upset Oldham County 28-26 in the regular season and should meet them again in round 2. If GRC survives Oldham a second time then their fate should end in round 3.

The next 5

11. Taylor County (3A, 8-2, RPI .591)

Playoff Outlook: lose in 2nd round vs Glasgow.

12. Dunbar (6A, 6-4, RPI .470)

Playoff Outlook: lose in round 2 vs Tates Creek

13. Madison Southern (5A, 5-5, RPI .492)

Playoff Outlook: lose in round 2 vs East Jessamine

14. Woodford County (5A, 6-4, RPI .491)

Playoff Outlook: lose in round 1 vs Madison Southern

15. Anderson County (4A, 4-6, RPI .539)

Playoff Outlook: lose round 1 to Boyle County.

Teams 16-20

16. Danville (2A, 3-7, RPI .563)

17. LaRue County (3A, 5-5, RPI .502)

18. Washington County (2A, 5-5, RPI .579)

19. Campbellsville (A, 6-4, RPI .487)

20. Bourbon County (4A, 4-6, RPI .487)

Mr. Football Watch

Beau Allen

Last week: 28/44 286 yards 1 TD 2 INT.

This season: 224/329 3311 yards 34 TD 6 INT. 110 Carries 418 Yards 10 TD

Reese Smith

Last week

1 catch 12 yards. Mending a sprained ankle.

This season

37 catches 1055 yards 14 TD. 5 carries 116 yards 3 TD. 20 tackles

Players of the Week

1. QB Luke Duby, Tates Creek- 537 passing yards 5 TD.

2. WR Miles Thomas, Tates Creek- 13 catches 265 yards 3 TD

3. RB Amartae Rice, Woodford County- 20 carries 235 yards 3 TD

4. WR DeAirious Smith, LCA- 13 catches 237 yards 3 TD

Last Weeks game of the week

Frederick Douglass 42 Lexington Catholic 31

Never give up on the Knights. LC got behind by 25 points at one point but in Traditional Lex Cath fashion they raced back to make it a game eventually falling by 11 points.

Playoff Round 1 game of the week

Mercer County vs CAL

The teams first matchup was a thriller with Mercer escaping Louisville with a 45-42 victory. If you have the time go to Pioneer Way in Harrodsburg and check it out.