Penn State Fan Writes Letter To Player

GrantNKY

Penn State fan sends racist letter to safety criticizing his dreadlocks - Sports Illustrated

Dear Jonathan,

My wife and I are proud ‘older’ graduates of Penn State. We follow all Penn State sports; football, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, basketball. We love it all. I played all the sports in my younger days; still played full-court basketball into my 50’s. Loved the competition but never had the size or talent to reach your level, though the desire was there! Though the athletes of today are certainly superior to those in my days; we miss the clean cut young men and women from those days. Watching the Idaho game on TV, we couldn’t help but notice your–well–awful hair. Surely there must be mirrors in the locker room! Don’t you have parents or a girlfriend who have told you those shoulder-length dreadlocks look disgusting and are certainly not attractive. We congratulate you on your game against Pitt, but you need to remember you represent all Penn Staters both current and alumni from years past. We would welcome the reappearance of dress code for athletes. You will certainly be playing 'on Sunday' in the future but we have stopped watching the NFL due to the disgusting tattoos, awful hair and immature antics in the end zone. Players should act as though they’ve ‘been there before.

This is one of the most obvious forms of racism and entitled behavior from a fan that I’ve seen. This honestly doesn’t have anything to do with Penn State because every single fanbase in the country has fans that would have the same sentiments. It’s absolutely disgusting that someone would ever take the time the pen a letter like this. Again Penn State is just the subject of this, but it’s not a Penn State issue. The issue is fans who somehow believe that there opinion on what a football player should look and act like is somehow more important than the players who are actually out there on Saturdays.

That’s one of the least racist things I’ll probably see this week...

Just the world we live in. People think they can say things like that and someone actually cares.

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t amount to that much. But it’s obviously extremely racially driven and since it’s related to sports it’s going to get more notoriety than most things.

I'm curious, so by using the description "dreadlocks", that makes it racist? Or is it the tone of the letter?

I also think there should be some expectation college athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete. But, then again as I have mentioned on here in the past, I'm old school. That certainly isn't racist.

I'm curious, so by using the description "dreadlocks", that makes it racist? Or is it the tone of the letter?

I also think there should be some expectation college athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete. But, then again as I have mentioned on here in the past, I'm old school. That certainly isn't racist.

Complaining about someones dreadlocks is the same thing as calling a black dude a thug when you wouldn't call a white dude the same.

How is wearing dreadlocks not conducting themselves as a representative of the institution?

Complaining about someones dreadlocks is the same thing as calling a black dude a thug when you wouldn't call a white dude the same.

How is wearing dreadlocks not conducting themselves as a representative of the institution?

NO NO deuce, I think you misunderstood my intention. Was it the dreadlock reference that made it racist or that fact the athlete is black with dreadlocks? And my reference to expecting athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete in dreadlocks or bald should not matter.

NO NO deuce, I think you misunderstood my intention. Was it the dreadlock reference that made it racist or that fact the athlete is black with dreadlocks? And my reference to expecting athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete in dreadlocks or bald should not matter.

Dreadlocks are a part of African American culture. So to point out that as to why the athlete may be making Penn State look bad is racist. I HIGHLY doubt that if there were a white player wearing dreadlocks this individual would have written to share his displeasure.

How someone wears their hair, outside of some extreme or derogatory cut, is no representation of the institution whatsoever. Again, IMO.

Dreadlocks are a part of African American culture. So to point out that as to why the athlete may be making Penn State look bad is racist. I HIGHLY doubt that if there were a white player wearing dreadlocks this individual would have written to share his displeasure.

How someone wears their hair, outside of some extreme or derogatory cut, is no representation of the institution whatsoever. Again, IMO.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, my apology. If the athletes are good representatives of their colleges, it does not matter if they have dreads or not in my opinion, Character and ability does not wear a hairstyle.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, my apology. If the athletes are good representatives of their colleges, it does not matter if they have dreads or not in my opinion, Character and ability does not wear a hairstyle.

I agree completely.