Joker - 2019 film from Warner Brothers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Joker movie has my interest. Obviously nobody is going to ever top Heath Ledger, but the trailer has me hopeful for a great performance from Joaquin Phoenix.

Count me in as one of the people who ascribes to the "these are different iterations of the Joker" way of thinking.

Cesar Romero fron the 60s version created the character off of paper and gave him a voice. Jack Nicholson made us re-think and realize how dark and twisted Joker could be in the 1989 version. There are the various animated versions, including Mark Hamill's, mos famously. Those explore a more classic "comic book character" approach mixed with some of the dark, mentally unstable aspects that Nicholson hinted at. Then there is Ledger's anarchist Joker, which steps further into the aspect of Joker's psychosis, and steps completely away from the original Jack Napier/Joker story line, which also makes it very difficult to compare Ledger's version to Nicholson's. Then there's Jared Leto's version from Suicide Squad, which is intended to be a very dark version modeled from Ledger's character, but mixed a bit more with the personality of some of the animated versions...this version just fell flat, if you ask me.

Now we have Phoenix, whose character has an entirely new backstory, this "Arthur Fleck, standup comedian" thing. I'm waiting to see how that pans out, but I'm also hopeful.

I do think Ledger's character is my favorite depiction of the Joker thus far, seconded closely by Nicholson's, but I don't think I can possibly say that Ledger's version will never be bested.

• 4 months later...

Apparently writer/director Todd Phillips is trying to go in the direction of the character studies that Scorsese did in movies like Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. Phillips fought hard for the permission from Warner Brothers to put out Joker as a Rated-R film, and then had to fight for it all over again when Warner Brothers re-organized after acquiring AT&T. He's also working courting the studio in an attempt to get them create a whole new studio brand for dark and gritty character studies of comic book characters.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Apparently writer/director Todd Phillips is trying to go in the direction of the character studies that Scorsese did in movies like Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. Phillips fought hard for the permission from Warner Brothers to put out Joker as a Rated-R film, and then had to fight for it all over again when Warner Brothers re-organized after acquiring AT&T. He's also working courting the studio in an attempt to get them create a whole new studio brand for dark and gritty character studies of comic book characters.

Interesting that you say that. I saw the TV commercial for Joker and the first thought I had as I watched the commercial is that has a Taxi Driver vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...