Father Ryan (TN) 24 Bowling Green 21

I'll give a few thoughts and then I just want to move on from this game.

First the positives

1. I thought the effort was there. At no time did I feel BG's effort dropped at least from my view from the stands. And it was a battle all game. Even when they got behind early I thought they kept fighting.

2. BG didn't looked like it got tired. They looked like they were in good shape. They didn't have a lot of issues with cramping and things like that. That's a good sign.

3. And at the end of the day, BG lost to a private school from Nashville on a last second field goal.

Some negatives and I will refrain from being just flat out blunt.

1. BG's got some problems. Maybe somebody can explain the QB situation to me because I've heard different things. But BG's offense was extremely limited. The playbook seemed to be very small and very predictable. FR had a lot of plays sniffed out before BG snapped the ball.

2. There were A LOT of errors in the defensive secondary. Guys getting lost, guys letting their man get behind them, the same sideline pass plays killed them over and over.

3. I hear a lot of rumors and innuendo with regards to Tisdale. And I don't know what's true and what's not. But regardless, it is frustrating not to have Tisdale more involved in the game. It seemed tonight he was just out there in the deep secondary as a last resort man. I mean it seemed like he might as well have not been out there. They ran at least one blitz play with him and he made a heck of play. It's just a shame that he wasn't more involved in the game. He should be the major player out there and I feel like he was wasted tonight.

4. Their offense seemed to find the holes in our defense a lot when it mattered most, on third down. FR was able to drop it in a hole in the defense every time.

So that's just a few thoughts. I have a lot more, but I just want to move on from this one.

I'll give a few thoughts and then I just want to move on from this game.

First the positives

1. I thought the effort was there. At no time did I feel BG's effort dropped at least from my view from the stands. And it was a battle all game. Even when they got behind early I thought they kept fighting.

2. BG didn't looked like it got tired. They looked like they were in good shape. They didn't have a lot of issues with cramping and things like that. That's a good sign.

3. And at the end of the day, BG lost to a private school from Nashville on a last second field goal.

Some negatives and I will refrain from being just flat out blunt.

1. BG's got some problems. Maybe somebody can explain the QB situation to me because I've heard different things. But BG's offense was extremely limited. The playbook seemed to be very small and very predictable. FR had a lot of plays sniffed out before BG snapped the ball.

2. There were A LOT of errors in the defensive secondary. Guys getting lost, guys letting their man get behind them, the same sideline pass plays killed them over and over.

3. I hear a lot of rumors and innuendo with regards to Tisdale. And I don't know what's true and what's not. But regardless, it is frustrating not to have Tisdale more involved in the game. It seemed tonight he was just out there in the deep secondary as a last resort man. I mean it seemed like he might as well have not been out there. They ran at least one blitz play with him and he made a heck of play. It's just a shame that he wasn't more involved in the game. He should be the major player out there and I feel like he was wasted tonight.

4. Their offense seemed to find the holes in our defense a lot when it mattered most, on third down. FR was able to drop it in a hole in the defense every time.

So that's just a few thoughts. I have a lot more, but I just want to move on from this one.

I was surprised too he wasn’t more involved when I turned the game on; I’m sure there’s a good reason, but with the schedule BG has this year and not playing one of the top players in the state and one of the better ones across the county all the time seems likes a disservice to the team.

Father Ryan’s size surprised me a little bit and I thought their QB and RB were exceptional players. Overall, an entertaining game tough way to close week 1 for BG.

Imo, Vito can play both ways without getting tired. If he does get tired he can rotate with Evan Spader at least, at RB. I know Coach Spader tries to stay away from playing kids both ways but he can make an impact on both sides of the ball.

As for the QB situation, it’s my understanding that Conner Cooper had to sit out for a team conduct violation. I’m assuming he’ll be back next week, but I’m not sure.

This loss seems like a far fall for BG. Wasn't FR only a 2 win team last year? I hope that whatever the issues are, the ship can be righted for the Purples. BG has been on or near the top of 5A for long enough, you'd hate to see them topple. Their schedule this year indicates they have high expectations. 0-1 isn't the end by any means, I'm just surprised by this loss.

This loss seems like a far fall for BG. Wasn't FR only a 2 win team last year? I hope that whatever the issues are, the ship can be righted for the Purples. BG has been on or near the top of 5A for long enough, you'd hate to see them topple. Their schedule this year indicates they have high expectations. 0-1 isn't the end by any means, I'm just surprised by this loss.

Yes they were a two win team, but by no means were they bad. They had the size of a private school such as X, a great QB, and really powerful and big backs. Obviously BG should’ve and could’ve won but by no means was FR a slouch.

Yes they were a two win team, but by no means were they bad. They had the size of a private school such as X, a great QB, and really powerful and big backs. Obviously BG should’ve and could’ve won but by no means was FR a slouch.

Competing in a division with the likes of Montgomery Bell, Brentwood Academy, and Ensworth, Father Ryan plays a very strong schedule every year. And I believe they were pretty young last year too. The QB has offers from UK, Purdue, and Boston College. That 2-9 record last year was definitely deceiving when it came to what to expect from this year's team.

Competing in a division with the likes of Montgomery Bell, Brentwood Academy, and Ensworth, Father Ryan plays a very strong schedule every year. And I believe they were pretty young last year too. The QB has offers from UK, Purdue, and Boston College. That 2-9 record last year was definitely deceiving when it came to what to expect from this year's team.

It really is difficult to quantify Father Ryan because there is not a comparable team in Kentucky to their situation, and for that matter, not really even a comparabale team in the GCL.

The best way I would describe them is Covington Catholic-Lite.

If you had CovCath play Trinity's schedule I would expect them to do better than 2-9, but at the same time they would take maybe 4 or 5 losses.

Maybe DeSales is a better comparison. I want to say this team is comparable to LexCath, but that is not true. I think they are probably a step above LexCath and a full step or two below CovCath. DeSales probably is as close as I can get in terms of quality and depth of team, but obviously schematically they are different.

I too thought BG was offensively lacking in the game, and since Tisdale was not playing offense, why not get Dingle the ball more? He carried kids down the field when he did have the ball. FR was a solid squad imo...

When was the last BG lost in the Rafferty’s Bowl?

LTR,

BG's last loss at the opening Bowl Game at WKU was to a team I think you might have heard of. BG lost to St Xavier 15-7 back on August 19, 2006. BG did not play a bowl game at WKU in 2008, but won 11 straight before last Saturday night.

LTR,

BG's last loss at the opening Bowl Game at WKU was to a team I think you might have heard of. BG lost to St Xavier 15-7 back on August 19, 2006. BG did not play a bowl game at WKU in 2008, but won 11 straight before last Saturday night.

I thought that's when it was. I remember that 2008 game; it was against Henry Clay at El Donaldson because the stadium construction at WKU.

I thought that's when it was. I remember that 2008 game; it was against Henry Clay at El Donaldson because the stadium construction at WKU.

That's correct! So maybe it was 12 straight games. Tough to swallow the game on Saturday Night.

I too thought BG was offensively lacking in the game, and since Tisdale was not playing offense, why not get Dingle the ball more? He carried kids down the field when he did have the ball. FR was a solid squad imo...

BG was playing a third string sophomore QB that had been handed the job by default a week and a half prior to this game.

BG will have their QB and backup against McCracken. I expect they will look a little better offensively.

But hats off to Spencer Newman for playing his first varsity game on the big stage at WKU. He hung in there and gave it his best shot against a very solid FR team. The future will be bright for that kid.

It seems strange to me not to have Tisdale play both ways. Honestly, it seems strange to me not to play Dingle both ways also. I understand wanting to get them rest but even playing them half of the snaps on the other side of the ball seems like it would be a positive. Can anyone expand on the “Tisdale rumors”?