Maxpreps Kentucky top 25

I saw this list on social media and thought that y'all should see it.

1. Christian Academy-Louisville

2. South Warren

3. Covington Catholic

4. Frederick Douglass

5. Male

6. Boyle County

7. Trinity

8. Franklin-Simpson

9. Scott County

10. Mayfield

11. Highlands

12. Butler

13. North Hardin

14. Johnson Central

15. Beechwood

16. Corbin

17. DeSales

18. St. Xavier

19. Pulaski County

20. Belfry

21. Ashland Blazer

22. Ballard

23. South Oldham

24. Bowling Green

25. Simon Kenton

Here is a link to the rankings on Max Preps: Kentucky High School Football Rankings - MaxPreps

Very interesting rankings indeed.

They go off CalPreps ratings. Most coaches don’t respond to their preseason requests for info. I don’t put much stock in their preseason rankings. Like any rankings, they get better through the season.

Agreed.

CalPreps is the best out there, but the data needs to be valid. What data is there out there about these teams this year? Margin of error in these rankings preseason is probably plus or minus 15 spots in the rankings.

That said, I don't know how they could have CAL at #1, or St. X at 18.

These will be pretty solid once we get about 4 or 5 weeks of data into their CPU's, but until that point the only basis of determination these use is 1) Returning D-1 players and D-1 players lost 2) Info submitted by the schools for returning starters 3) Historical trends.

Simply put, by about Week 5 the Calpreps' formula is traditionally the 2nd best rating system in KY behind the Bluegraspreps ratings. It is often by far the most accurate CPU system as it takes into account Out of State competition and it's "magic number" seems to work itself out. Up until Week 5 though... well... they are best described as "a work in progress", and a pre-season ranking usually is akin to throwing darts.

All things told, once all the CPU's get cooking I would rate the rankings as:

1. Bluegrasspreps

2. Calpreps/Maxpreps

3. KHSAA's new RPI system

4. Cantrall

5. Lit

6. A Monkey throwing feces at the wall

7. AP Poll

:D (I jest a little, but for some AP voters this is sadly true)

These will be pretty solid once we get about 4 or 5 weeks of data into their CPU's, but until that point the only basis of determination these use is 1) Returning D-1 players and D-1 players lost 2) Info submitted by the schools for returning starters 3) Historical trends.

Simply put, by about Week 5 the Calpreps' formula is traditionally the 2nd best rating system in KY behind the Bluegraspreps ratings. It is often by far the most accurate CPU system as it takes into account Out of State competition and it's "magic number" seems to work itself out. Up until Week 5 though... well... they are best described as "a work in progress", and a pre-season ranking usually is akin to throwing darts.

All things told, once all the CPU's get cooking I would rate the rankings as:

1. Bluegrasspreps

2. Calpreps/Maxpreps

3. KHSAA's new RPI system

4. Cantrall

5. Lit

6. A Monkey throwing feces at the wall

7. AP Poll

:D (I jest a little, but for some AP voters this is sadly true)

I agree with much of this, except your AP ranking is a bit too high.

I agree with much of this, except your AP ranking is a bit too high.

Agreed. Personally, I've got the AP rated just below the room full of blindfolded people throwing darts at a wall covered in sticky notes with team names scribbled on them. Oh wait, nevermind. That is the AP.

Sorry - I have tracked Maxpreps over the years and refuse to even reference it in my broadcasts. I find it to be completely without merit. Sure - it's another poll, and it's always fun to debate polls, and if I can say my team is #x in this poll and #x in that poll, and #x in the Maxpreps poll, it's a point of pride and worth hanging on the bulletin board as some sort of achievement, but speaking as a one who reads the polls a lot - and used to be a voter (not AP, they've never asked...LOL) - I don't consider Maxpreps good enough to mention on the air.

Now, understand that this little commentary is in no way an endorsement of all the other polls, either...LOL!! (but personally, I like BGPreps the best)

CM