What is your go-to hard candy?

Randy Parker

Those little rootbeer barrels. Reminds me of grandma's house.

My first job was at a mom & pop hardware store, and I worked there with an ex-MLB pitcher named Tom Flanigan. Graduated from Cincinnati Elder in the early 1950s and was drafted by the White Sox. Spent 5 seasons or so in the Majors with the Sox and the Cardinals.

He called them "rooty-balls". Always had a stash of them in the nail apron he wore around at work. I would start my shift after I finished lifting in the football off-season, and he would toss me one each day as I walked in the door.

What a good dude. I hadn't thought of Tom or "rooty-balls" for quite some time. Thanks for the reminder @ChickenWyngz.

I can't stand the taste of cough drops to save my life...just can't handle them. So if I have a cough or a bad cold, I usually suck on Jolly Ranchers instead. I prefer the Jolly Rancher candy squares that come in the 12-pack to the round-ish rectangular ones you get in the bags.

I'll get Lemonheads every once in a while if I see them. I've still gotta make the box whistle after after finish them off.

And it's not Christmas time if I don't have at least one or two candy canes.