2019 Playoff Alignment

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it.

Rounds 1 and 2- The District plays itself.

1. vs. 4

2. vs. 3

Winners play in a defacto District Championship.

Round 3, each Semi-State is broken up into the four "District Champs" and seeded 1 thru 4 based off a RPI system. The 1 seed hosts the 4 seed, the 2 seed hosts the 3 seed.

The winners play in Round 4 (Semi-Finals), the higher seed hosts.

I have a strong dislike for this system and do not understand the logic behind it.

For some reason the KHSAA is scared to shorten the playoffs a week and they are tired of people complaining about travel. That’s the reason for weeks one and two.

As far as the regional finals and beyond I’m not sure anyone understands why they are doing it.

The way I understand it.

Rounds 1 and 2- The District plays itself.

1. vs. 4

2. vs. 3

Winners play in a defacto District Championship.

Round 3, each Semi-State is broken up into the four "District Champs" and seeded 1 thru 4 based off a RPI system. The 1 seed hosts the 4 seed, the 2 seed hosts the 3 seed.

The winners play in Round 4 (Semi-Finals), the higher seed hosts.

In round 3, just to be clear, are they seeding east and west separately?

There is no way for a computer rating system to be accurate in a ten game high school season. Not enough data and not enough cross section of competition.

Also, out of state games are not included. So some teams will be “evaluated” on nine games.

Using intra district playoffs the first two rounds plus an inaccurate RPI due to a lack of data makes a ridiculous outcome likely.

The way I understand there is no semi-state it is just seeded 1 -8 Round 3 and then 1-4 for semi-finals. Higher seed host. The East vs West is out after round 2 so you could concievably get a Raceland vs Pikeville title game or a NCC vs Campbellsville. Just depends on seeding.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

There is no way for a computer rating system to be accurate in a ten game high school season. Not enough data and not enough cross section of competition.

Also, out of state games are not included. So some teams will be “evaluated” on nine games.

Using intra district playoffs the first two rounds plus an inaccurate RPI due to a lack of data makes a ridiculous outcome likely.

But yet you're even more likely to get ridiculous outcomes when just leaving things to chance. Let's give the system a chance to work, rather than assume it won't. I agree that no seeding system is perfect. But doing things randomly, with no criteria, is worse.

Here is what I found on the KHSAA Website: 1/28/19- Basic Explanation, the New RPI to be used for Football | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Seed Third Round based on Playoff RPI (all classes)

Highest remaining seed in regions 1-4 host fourth highest remaining in regions 1-4;

2nd highest remaining seed in regions 1-4 host third highest remaining seed in regions 1-4;

Highest remaining seed in regions 5-8 host fourth highest remaining in regions 5-8;

2nd highest remaining seed in regions 5-8 host third highest remaining seed in regions 5-8.

Seed Fourth Round based on Playoff RPI-

Highest remaining seed hosts fourth highest remaining seed;

2nd highest remaining seed hosts third highest remaining seed.

Round Five (finals) highest seed (highest RPI) will be the home team on the scoreboard and wear Dark jerseys

Hopefully I did that right, haven't posted a link before so forgive me if I messed it up!

That says round 3 is not seeded 1-8. It is seeded 1-4 in the east, and 1-4 in the west. Then in round 4, the 4 remaining teams are reseeded to set the semifinal matchups.

That says round 3 is not seeded 1-8. It is seeded 1-4 in the east, and 1-4 in the west. Then in round 4, the 4 remaining teams are reseeded to set the semifinal matchups.

Round 4 could play out several ways depending on the RPI ranking. But I am excited to see how thing is actually going to work.

I’m interested to see what kind of ranking Trinity gets considering they play so many out of state opponents. If that type of schedule hinders their seeding, would that compel them to schedule more in state opponents in the future? Or will that cause the KHSAA to change the format again?