Knee Replacement Surgery

doomer

The time has final come (July 8) for knee replacement on my right knee where I have acquired osteo-arthritis which is only logical given a post surgical infection many years ago after ACL surgery. Of course I would like to replace the knee with $1 billion dollars, but I'll have to settle for some contraption.

I know BGP is a relatively young group, but I am wondering if anyone else has had a knee replacement and would share their experience.

Honestly, I am not looking forward to this at all, but it is time. Winter would seem like a logical time to do this, but it is better for me in the summer when tending to the horses is pretty easy as they graze most of the time AND Mrs. doomer is off for the summer. I am an avid equestrian, and the "off-horse" time is going to be tough as I have retired, due to the knee, from all my previous sporting endeavors.

My dad has had both knees done. Like you, he was not looking forward to it. However, once he had the first one done, the only thing he lamented was not doing it a decade sooner. I was amazed at how much difference it made for him.

Don't skimp on the physical therapy afterwards. For as stubborn as my dad is, I thought he'd be a slacker when it came to the exercises. But he didn't, and I think that helped shorten the recovery period.

Good luck!

I had it done last July 23 and it was the worst thing I have ever done in my life and I have had many surgeries. With that said, everyone is different. I am a heavier person with made my rehab much more difficult. Rehab is the key though. I got up and started moving the next couple of days and just steadily done more everyday. I went to Cardinal Hill for a month and it really put me over the hump. I had about 6 weeks of home rehab and after I could drive, I had about six weeks more. With being a year out, I am glad I had it done and am better now than I was. Had a lot of pain for several months but that has pretty much gone. A side effect of my surgery is that the whole side of my leg below my knee has that tingling numbness in it that will never go away. With all this said, I will never have the other knee done. It will not be a piece of cake. Good luck and do what they tell you and rehab.

I had a first knee replacement on my left knee in 2015. This past December I slipped in my front yard and torn it up pretty bad. I had revision surgery this past March 12. The surgeon said I tore it up so bad that it took him 3 hours to repair everything. The first one I had the implants where they glue them to the bone. This latest one he drilled in both upper and lower bone and put a long stem in each. I have to say I wish he had done it that way the first time. I was up walking an hour after I got to my hospital room. It went so well that I returned to work at full duty in 2 months. My surgeon is thinking about doing as a normal procedure the way he did my second one. Especially for bigger people.

I can tell you I'm far in away better faster with my revision surgery than I was with the original one. A few things that could help you out tremendously. Do some of your physical therapy exercises before your surgery. This will help you in the long run with your recovery. Your muscles will recover quicker. Next, make sure you do the physical therapy after the surgery. Also, don't be afraid to let them know you are in pain. Don't wait until you are in pain to take your meds.

There are some excellent videos on youtube about the surgery and the exercises you should do. My surgeon had me watch several of them and they really helped me before and after my surgery.

This is what my knee looks like now after the surgery. Those lines or circles you see are the staples that helps close the incision.

IMG_7951.jpg

I have had both knees done. Life changing. I waited five years between knees but wish now I hadn't waited. I literally couldn't walk 50 feet before and can do about anything I want to now. The advice about the therapy is on point. It is sometimes painful and a royal pain to allot the time for it, but it is what will make all the difference in the world for you. Also pay heed to the advice of doing the exercises BEFORE the surgery. It will help immensely. It took me about a year before I felt "normal" after each one, but the difference now is miraculous.

Thank you all for the great advice. I am not excited about this, but it will be nice when I get more range of motion.

I want to wish you good luck. One thing I neglected to mention was also make sure you ice your knee down. Also, your shin and calf areas when they hurt. The muscles will be sore especially when you do your physical therapy. Ice will help with the soreness and help reduce the inflammation. It helped me tremendously.

• 3 weeks later...

Today is the day. I’m sitting on my hospital bed...already drugged up to some degree...with surgery to be in about an hour. I’m not looking forward to it, but it should help in the long term. Thanks again for the advice, and I’ll be happy to get this over with...eventually.

My dad just had his right knee done, after having his left done last year.

After about four weeks, his legs are straight for the first time in probably 15 years and he's already walking really, really well.

It's a game changer when you really need it.