Western Kentucky Guard Jake Ohmer has entered the Transfer Portal

Brcatz

NKU an option?

I don’t know that he wants to sit out a year. He does still have a redshirt he can use, but knowing him, he’ll want to play right away. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go D2 or NAIA. Lots of good options not too far away.

I don’t know that he wants to sit out a year. He does still have a redshirt he can use, but knowing him, he’ll want to play right away. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go D2 or NAIA. Lots of good options not too far away.

Like the prospects of seeing him being a high contributor with a fellow No. Kentuckian Ben Weyer. The NKy pipeline (Thelan, Bach, and Weyer) has been pretty successful for Scotty. Think Jake fits nicely into that mode.

Like the prospects of seeing him being a high contributor with a fellow No. Kentuckian Ben Weyer. The NKy pipeline (Thelan, Bach, and Weyer) has been pretty successful for Scotty. Think Jake fits nicely into that mode.

Has Ohmer been linked to Bellarmine? I don’t think they were ever in play when he was being recruited in high school, and I’m not sure they’d be in play now.

Bellarmine is working on going D1. I'd say it's unlikely it happens before the fall, but could before the 20-21 season.

Yep. And with a transition to D1, there would be the mandatory 4 year exclusion from post season play. Some of the current athletes there aren't happy, especially those in individual sports. This post season waiting period, is another reason why I don't think Bellarmine would even be on the radar for Ohmer.

Yep. And with a transition to D1, there would be the mandatory 4 year exclusion from post season play. Some of the current athletes there aren't happy, especially those in individual sports. This post season waiting period, is another reason why I don't think Bellarmine would even be on the radar for Ohmer.

I am not sure why the NCAA does this. It hurts the athletes to not compete for championships.

I am not sure why the NCAA does this. It hurts the athletes to not compete for championships.

It’s a real issue. My son wrestled for Bellarmine, which is still a new program. They had their first D2 national qualifiers this year, and will likely grow that number in the coming years. If they move to D1, they might lose those guys to transfer. Not only that, it will set the program back because what high level recruit would not want to compete for National titles.

I'd imagine it is something of a preventative measure to keep a million schools from jumping to DI when most have no business financially making that move.

I'd imagine it is something of a preventative measure to keep a million schools from jumping to DI when most have no business financially making that move.

That’s why schools do their research before they make the jump. I think it hurts the school to have to wait that long to be eligible.