2019 Bengals Draft Picks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a solid pick. I won't lie I wanted Haskins though since he was available. We know what this team is like when it is a top 5 talented team in the NFL, it is a team that has a QB who can't do much with it and becomes their weak spot. I don't think Jonah Williams is going to help them win a Super Bowl this year, and who knows if the Bengals will be in a position to get a top QB in future drafts. So if they weren't going to win the Super Bowl this year anyways, I would rather have a guy who helps their chances even more 2 or 3 years from now. At the end of the day QB play is huge in this league and I just don't think it matters what team we put around Dalton, this team won't win it all with him.

Hopefully the reason they didn't take Haskins is because their plan is to trade for Rosen. If so then the pick of Williams is truly great. Unlike last year when the Bengals drafted for a need and reached to get Billy Price. I don't think they really reached this year, because last year Price possibly could have been had in the second round. Jonah Williams was the best offensive lineman in college football last year, so I do think value wise it fits with the 11th pick. PFF ranked him as the top lineman in college football last year, and the #4 overall player in the draft. So they do have a guy who can anchor the line for the next decade.

It is a solid pick. I won't lie I wanted Haskins though since he was available. We know what this team is like when it is a top 5 talented team in the NFL, it is a team that has a QB who can't do much with it and becomes their weak spot. I don't think Jonah Williams is going to help them win a Super Bowl this year, and who knows if the Bengals will be in a position to get a top QB in future drafts. So if they weren't going to win the Super Bowl this year anyways, I would rather have a guy who helps their chances even more 2 or 3 years from now. At the end of the day QB play is huge in this league and I just don't think it matters what team we put around Dalton, this team won't win it all with him.

It doesn’t do much good to draft the QB of the future if you can’t protect him. Fix the o line problems first. I’ve watched too many young QB’s get destroyed and never live up to their potential.

It doesn’t do much good to draft the QB of the future if you can’t protect him. Fix the o line problems first. I’ve watched too many young QB’s get destroyed and never live up to their potential.

That's all good and great if you know there will be other opportunities to draft a top qb in future drafts. In future drafts the Bengals may not have a top qb fall to them. They may not be drafting as high. They may have to give up a lot to move up to get a qb, which we know the Bengals don't do. So that's a great idea if you know for sure you can get a top qb in an upcoming draft a year from now, but that is no guanrtee they will be even in position to do that next year.

Now if they go and trade for Rosen now, then it was a perfect pick.

i.e. Tim Couch drafted by Cleveland Browns and destroyed physically because of an O-line that couldn't block anyone.

I like the pick of Williams (although I wished Bush would've been there to take). The Bengals need to shore up their O-Line and LB core before anything else. You've gotta crawl before you can walk. This team has many deficiencies but QB is not as high on the list as most people think.

Well in this case Haskins wouldn’t have started until at least year 2 anyways.

I like the pick of Williams (although I wished Bush would've been there to take). The Bengals need to shore up their O-Line and LB core before anything else. You've gotta crawl before you can walk. This team has many deficiencies but QB is not as high on the list as most people think.

Here is my problem with this line of thinking. Yes right now linebacker and offensive line are more of a problem then QB, that is correct. However what is the goal or should be the goal for every team? That is to win a Super Bowl.

Some of you all act like we haven't seen Dalton and if he can get them to them over the top if they have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. Yet that is the thing we have seen Dalton when he has been surrounded by a top offensive line, running game and good defense. Which what was the common thing people said was the weak spot on the team those years? QB! Just look at Dalton's numbers against good team, prime time games, playoff games, etc when Dalton did have all the talent around him. It wasn't good.

Yet now people want to build all the talent around Dalton again and expect different results? Isn't that the definition of insanity? Dalton is an average QB, so of coarse he is not the biggest weak spot on the team right now. However, we do know he is the biggest weak spot once the rest of the team is strong elsewhere. So just because he isn't the current weak spot, doesn't mean he is not a weak spot that needs to be addressed. If we build everything else around him, then we are right back to where we were from 2012 to 2015 and failing because of our QB. We been there seen that. This was a chance to change that with Haskins and then build around him.

With all that said if they get Rosen then all is good!

First of all, I really like the pick. If this guy started at Alabama as a true freshman then he is a player.

Really do not get the idea that Haskins was going to lead the Bengals to the Super Bowl. This guy played ONE year of college football in a conference that by all means was "down" this past season. I may be proven wrong, but he certainly is not the guy that I would have selected either. On the subject of Josh Rosen, has he proven that he can take a team to the Super Bowl? A 3-10 record as a starter last year might say no, especially when that team selected another quarterback this year.

Andy Dalton is more than a serviceable quarterback in the NFL. Come to think of it, has Phillip Rivers won a Super Bowl?

First of all, I really like the pick. If this guy started at Alabama as a true freshman then he is a player.

Really do not get the idea that Haskins was going to lead the Bengals to the Super Bowl. This guy played ONE year of college football in a conference that by all means was "down" this past season. I may be proven wrong, but he certainly is not the guy that I would have selected either. On the subject of Josh Rosen, has he proven that he can take a team to the Super Bowl? A 3-10 record as a starter last year might say no, especially when that team selected another quarterback this year.

Andy Dalton is more than a serviceable quarterback in the NFL. Come to think of it, has Phillip Rivers won a Super Bowl?

Peyton Manning won 3 games as a rookie and set the interception record for most. Jarod Goff was flat horrible as a rookie, and now has led his team to the Super Bowl. Drew Brees didnt do much at all his first 2 years, which led to them drafting Phillip Rivers.

Which since you asked about Rivers. He actually has helped his teams win playoff games. Rivers has actually been the reason why his teams have won games. Dalton on the other hand helped find ways to make teams lose especially in playoff games. Daltons backup qb put up just as many TDs in one playoff game in the rain than Dalton has in 4 playoff games with 3 of them being in domes. That is when Dalton did have a good line, running game, weapons to throw to and a top 10 defense. Yet he was horrible with it. Dalton even set a record for worst qb performance in NFL history in a Thursday night game against the Browns.

Some peoples thinking about Dalton is like the same thinking that led to Marvin Lewis being here so long. He was not good, not horrible, but average. Could have some years where do really well but not get over the top, and then some bad years. He got to stay so long because of fear of the unknown. Fear of getting a coach who may do worst, which jury is out on Zac Taylor. He may be horrible and make us miss Marvin. Just like Haskins may be a flop or Rosen may not develop into much.

However, for me at least I'm tired of them being scared of the unknown. We know what Dalton is. He has had 4 years where he did have everything around him and he failed miserably against teams with winning records, prime time games, playoffs. That we do know because we seen it. So yes I would rather them take a chance on an unknown qb with more talent and see if he can do what Dalton failed at.

Reflecting on last night, I am good with Williams especially if he turns out to be that guy at left tackle for 10 years. If the Bengals had a clearly higher grade on him than all the other tackles, then good job.

However, I think the Bengals really missed an opportunity last night. I think they should have traded back and kept trading back to get more picks. There are still a couple highly touted offensive tackles sitting there and available in round 2. If the Bengals kept trading back they could start packaging all their picks to get the players they want or add a lot of prospects to fill all the holes. They could have OT Dillard or maybe even Williams and have 3 extra picks. They could package 2 of those extra picks for Rosen. There is so much they could have done if they just had a little creativity.

Reflecting on last night, I am good with Williams especially if he turns out to be that guy at left tackle for 10 years. If the Bengals had a clearly higher grade on him than all the other tackles, then good job.

However, I think the Bengals really missed an opportunity last night. I think they should have traded back and kept trading back to get more picks. There are still a couple highly touted offensive tackles sitting there and available in round 2. If the Bengals kept trading back they could start packaging all their picks to get the players they want or add a lot of prospects to fill all the holes. They could have OT Dillard or maybe even Williams and have 3 extra picks. They could package 2 of those extra picks for Rosen. There is so much they could have done if they just had a little creativity.

Completely agree! My feelings about Rosen are pretty clear now, but assuming they won't trade for Rosen now. There really isn't any other QB I would want them to get, so now I wouldn't be opposed to them getting another lineman here in round 2. I know that backfired a few years ago with drafting two lineman in the first two rounds. However, I do think Williams will be very good and I am really high on Dalton Risner who is a lineman for Kansas State. Much like Williams he graded out on PFF as one of the top lineman in the draft, and also performed great at the senior bowl against top talents like Sweat. Not to mention just like Williams he is someone that can play multiple spots at Guard or Tackle. So if they are going to continue to refuse trying to find someone better than Dalton. Then yes might as well keep going and try to make this the best line in football, because there really isn't a linebacker that stands out in the second round.