Gunnar Hoak Transferring

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would he transfer to sit his last two years behind Fields? No way you transfer to a school that you have no shot at starting.

He may not be transferring to start. His HS was 20 minutes from Ohio State. Ohio State already has one grad transfer from a power 5 school on the roster who came simply to be a backup. Ever since the Baldwin transfer news, there has been smoke about a Hoak transfer to OSU. Not saying it’s going to happen, but would he rather be a backup in a Ryan Day system where he’s one play away from getting an opportunity or would he rather stay in Lexington and play for Eddie Gran. Pretty easy choice.

He may not be transferring to start. His HS was 20 minutes from Ohio State. Ohio State already has one grad transfer from a power 5 school on the roster who came simply to be a backup. Ever since the Baldwin transfer news, there has been smoke about a Hoak transfer to OSU. Not saying it’s going to happen, but would he rather be a backup in a Ryan Day system where he’s one play away from getting an opportunity or would he rather stay in Lexington and play for Eddie Gran. Pretty easy choice.

He's also 1 play away from starting in a system that he already knows and has been in for two years. I have to question his drive if he's just transferring to ride the pine. If he's leaving to realistically compete for the job then by all means, go...I fully understand.

He's also 1 play away from starting in a system that he already knows and has been in for two years. I have to question his drive if he's just transferring to ride the pine. If he's leaving to realistically compete for the job then by all means, go...I fully understand.

So a kid wanting to come home, play for his favorite school growing up, playing for the school his dad, uncle, and cousin all played for is somehow a knock against his drive and willingness to compete? Spare me.

So a kid wanting to come home, play for his favorite school growing up, playing for the school his dad, uncle, and cousin all played for is somehow a knock against his drive and willingness to compete? Spare me.

No, not at all. I had read he was leaving because he wanted to play. Pretty disingenuous to say that and then go sit at OSU. Should have said what you did, as a reason he was leaving.

No, not at all. I had read he was leaving because he wanted to play. Pretty disingenuous to say that and then go sit at OSU. Should have said what you did, as a reason he was leaving.

Quote directly from Gunnar Hoak. “After much thought and consideration, I have decided to put my name in the NCAA transfer portal. With graduation coming up next week, I knew I had an important decision to make for my future including my football and academic careers. I would like to thank Coach Stoops and the UK staff for understanding that I need to see if there are any other options for me at this time in my career.”

Did OSU recruit him initially?

In the same class with Haskins. OSU got an early commit from Tristen Wallace who played QB in HS but ended up flipping his commitment to Oregon to play receiver. When Wallace decommitted Ohio State flipped Haskins from Maryland. So OSU did their due diligence on Hoak since he’s right down the road, but he isn’t really the type of QB that fit an Urban Meyer system and this was pre-Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson who like more pro style guys.

The family part is the X factor, not many realize the Buckeye ties and the chance to wear the jersey 15 mins away from his parents.

If he wants to play though, he should look elsewhere.

In the same class with Haskins. OSU got an early commit from Tristen Wallace who played QB in HS but ended up flipping his commitment to Oregon to play receiver. When Wallace decommitted Ohio State flipped Haskins from Maryland. So OSU did their due diligence on Hoak since he’s right down the road, but he isn’t really the type of QB that fit an Urban Meyer system and this was pre-Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson who like more pro style guys.

If Meyer is still the coach, his family wouldn’t even take the call.

The family part is the X factor, not many realize the Buckeye ties and the chance to wear the jersey 15 mins away from his parents.

If he wants to play though, he should look elsewhere.

This.

A transfer to OSU by Hoak is a statement that he knows his football career is done and he is looking ahead to a career after college (not a football career). I can see going home and wearing the hometown college jersey if he feels he isn't going to go somewhere and start.