Shot Clock

This weekend I decided to make the best of a rainy Saturday and watch the high school semifinals. Once again I was reminded why I don’t go to the games…. No shot clock. Can someone please explain to me why there is no shot clock in high school? Is this the same for other states as well?

I’ve got to believe costs for each school to install new equipment has to be a factor. There are small districts that may not be able to budget for it. You need someone to understand the rules and how to run it. Then you can question why people want it. Are they so accustomed to watching the college game that they want the same level of excitement in the high school game? There is some level of teaching going on during the game. I hate slow down games as much as anyone, but it’s a strategy that has been k own to work from time to time. I vote NO on a shot clock.

This weekend I decided to make the best of a rainy Saturday and watch the high school semifinals. Once again I was reminded why I don’t go to the games…. No shot clock. Can someone please explain to me why there is no shot clock in high school? Is this the same for other states as well?

Currently, eight U.S. states require the use of a shot clock of 30/35 seconds in high school competition: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington

8 states and the District of Columbia use a shot clock.

Cost is the issue.

The price of purchasing, installing, and operating a shot clock are not cheap.

Research suggests that it will cost approximately $2,000 – $4,000 for most schools to purchase the shot clocks and have them installed.

Depending on the current facilities in each high school gym, it’s not as simple as purchasing a shot clock and away they go…

There are installation costs that will vary greatly depending on the current setup. Some may need to purchase entire new scoreboards to make it happen which will be a remarkably more significant cost.

The price of purchasing, installing, and operating a shot clock are not cheap.

Research suggests that it will cost approximately $2,000 – $4,000 for most schools to purchase the shot clocks and have them installed.

Depending on the current facilities in each high school gym, it’s not as simple as purchasing a shot clock and away they go…

There are installation costs that will vary greatly depending on the current setup. Some may need to purchase entire new scoreboards to make it happen which will be a remarkably more significant cost.

Why would new scoreboards be needed?

Just put a shot clock on top of each backboard and be done with it. A quick Google search finds them available for significantly less than $2,000.

I don't know if the shot clock is the answer but I get awful tired of watching teams struggle to get to 50. First team to Fifty wins. I always made fun of the Ohio schools scoring in the 40's and the Kentucky state tournament was the same thing. So was the girls Regional. I want more scoring but the shooting has been terrible.

I use to think it was the small schools that slowed it down to have a chance to play with the big boys. After watching regional and state games I am beginning to think the complete opposite on who slows the game down.

We don't need a shot clock in my opinion.

Try to look at it like this, let's say your kid is having some trouble with grades and not understanding his or her homework. So you come up with this brilliant plan to make them do their homework faster and shorten the time on each problem or question. Do you think they would make for a better outcome.