Way Too Early 2019-20 Preseason Favorites?

Trinity claimed the State title today but next year it looks to be a wide open race with powers like Scott County, and Trinity losing significant talent from their respective teams they may take a step back. So who are some teams that could contend for the Title next year? I think Madisonville North-Hopkins, Covington Catholic, and Male all seem to bring a lot back.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trinity claimed the State title today but next year it looks to be a wide open race with powers like Scott County, and Trinity losing significant talent from their respective teams they may take a step back. So who are some teams that could contend for the Title next year? I think Madisonville North-Hopkins, Covington Catholic, and Male all seem to bring a lot back.

CovCath doesn’t bring back as much as you think. I’d say pretty good odds Mayer will be in South Bend instead of Park Hills next January.

Male will be tough for sure!

Going region by region for teams who could be top teams

Marshall county - assuming Harmon is there

Madisonville

Male

Collins

Covington Catholic - if mayer plays

Lincoln County

Johnson central

I think those are some of the top teams without examining everyone roster.

I'm all about way too early predictions. Nothing will be established or for certain but that's the fun of it. To have the hope of looking forward to a new year, with new teams, and new contenders. I admittedly don't know as much as most on here being from the other side of the Ohio River but I know a few teams will bring back and bring in some real talent. It's got to start and end with Male. A team that beat the state champs, Trinity at full strength this year and return most everyone next year. Not sure if the Edelin boy will stay there and come in as a freshman next year but you add him and you have a top 3 or 5 kid in the 2023. Would have to believe Ballard comes in as a top 5 team as well. The Bruins are always there anyways but with their big guns returning they will be a contender. Fern Creek brings back a real good group of 2021 kids that could start making noise next year. In the 9th it would be hard to pick against Beechwood who finished 2nd this year and return 2021 all state candidate Draud. Probably a solid preseason top 10 team. GRC will have a strong team in the 10th next year. Collins returns their backcourt and could come into the year a top 10 team. I expect South Oldham to be a top 15 team all year with Luke Morrison returning. I admittedly know much more about the top part of the state than anywhere else so Maybe I'm missing quite a few teams.

Male definitely should be at or near the top of the list, but I concur that Ballard should not be overlooked. Walter Johnson, Ballard's leading scorer, will be gone, but all of their other top scorers return. One key will be whether Kaleb Glenn, an 8th grader who saw quite a bit of playing time this season, will be at Ballard or elsewhere next year.

I'm all about way too early predictions. Nothing will be established or for certain but that's the fun of it. To have the hope of looking forward to a new year, with new teams, and new contenders. I admittedly don't know as much as most on here being from the other side of the Ohio River but I know a few teams will bring back and bring in some real talent. It's got to start and end with Male. A team that beat the state champs, Trinity at full strength this year and return most everyone next year. Not sure if the Edelin boy will stay there and come in as a freshman next year but you add him and you have a top 3 or 5 kid in the 2023. Would have to believe Ballard comes in as a top 5 team as well. The Bruins are always there anyways but with their big guns returning they will be a contender. Fern Creek brings back a real good group of 2021 kids that could start making noise next year. In the 9th it would be hard to pick against Beechwood who finished 2nd this year and return 2021 all state candidate Draud. Probably a solid preseason top 10 team. GRC will have a strong team in the 10th next year. Collins returns their backcourt and could come into the year a top 10 team. I expect South Oldham to be a top 15 team all year with Luke Morrison returning. I admittedly know much more about the top part of the state than anywhere else so Maybe I'm missing quite a few teams.

North Oldham should be a much improved team with the addition of Powell and rumor of another kid coming in, I'm sure there will be other movements too. That's why I said it would be hard to figure out for a while.

North Oldham should be a much improved team with the addition of Powell and rumor of another kid coming in, I'm sure there will be other movements too. That's why I said it would be hard to figure out for a while.

I forgot all about the Powell kid. Probably the top player in his class. Him along with the 8th graders that will be freshmen will be tough to stop in the 8th and may make a nice run.

Looking over some rosters Marshall County returns every player from this year so if they add back Harmon they'll be a contender. Somerset may be the team to beat in the 12th as they return everyone as well.

Looking over some rosters Marshall County returns every player from this year so if they add back Harmon they'll be a contender. Somerset may be the team to beat in the 12th as they return everyone as well.

Agreed on Somerset with Lincoln, easily the two favorites in 12.

I also forgot about Beechwood up here in NKY.

I like Rowan County in the 16th.

If I was going out on a limb and predict each region (some I know nothing about)

1 - Marshall county

2 - Madisonville

3 - Ohio County

4 - Bowling Green

5 - John Hardin

6 - Bullitt Central

7 - Male

8 - Collins

9 - Beechwood

10 - Bissop Brossart

11 - no idea, let’s say Lexington Catholic

12 - Lincoln County

13 - North Laurel

14 - Hazard

15 - Johnson central

16 - Rowan County

Agreed on Somerset with Lincoln, easily the two favorites in 12.

I also forgot about Beechwood up here in NKY.

I like Rowan County in the 16th.

If I was going out on a limb and predict each region (some I know nothing about)

1 - Marshall county

2 - Madisonville

3 - Ohio County

4 - Bowling Green

5 - John Hardin

6 - Bullitt Central

7 - Male

8 - Collins

9 - Beechwood

10 - Bissop Brossart

11 - no idea, let’s say Lexington Catholic

12 - Lincoln County

13 - North Laurel

14 - Hazard

15 - Johnson central

16 - Rowan County

Henry Clay should be near the top of the 11th. They have the best player in the region coming back and always have a lot of talent. If you don't have an idea then Lexington Catholic wouldn't be the one I would choose. They are coming off their first sub .500 season in almost 30 years. I can't see them being a threat in the region.