Remke's Hebron Closing?

Luke Warmwater

I thought the same thing with when we were at Remke's in Crescent Springs yesterday. Noticed quite a few shelves with empty spaces. Deli didn't have as many lunch meat choices as just last week. When I asked about the lack of items on shelves and in Deli case, I was told they hadn't received grocery shipments for a few weeks. That just seemed odd to me.

They closed their Beechmont store in Cincinnati last year. Too small to compete with Kroger; too big to try and specialize and go top-shelf. They're probably in trouble.

I'll hate it if they start shuttering their other stores because the Hyde Park Kroger is always a madhouse and I am NOT going there.

Worst thing Bill Remke ever did was buy a failing Bigg's organization. It ruined the "feel" of his family-owned niche in NKY, and also saddled them with debt they then couldn't get out from under.

Biggs was almost certainly a mistake. But for me, even though I live near two Remke’s (one of which is now closed), it has never been my first choice for shopping. They don’t check any of the boxes for me except convenience—-they’re not the cheapest, they don’t have the best selection or the best service, or have the nicest stores. There’s nothing that makes me go there, and I’ll drive by Remke’s 9 times out 10 to go somewhere else to get what I need. Sure I’ll stop in a get a few items, but my family hasn’t done a full shopping trip to Remke’s in years. And it was like that before they bought Bigg’s. It’s hard to stay in business in retail if you don’t do something better than your competitors.

Forgot about their fried chicken, which I would say is the best out of all the grocery stores in the area. That isn't enough to keep them in business though.

Correct as far as a grocery store, but if I'm Remke I pull the plug on the stores and try my hand at a couple of small restaurants in the area. Fried chicken, their fried cod and wedges. Don't get to fancy, just be good at what you're good at!

Correct as far as a grocery store, but if I'm Remke I pull the plug on the stores and try my hand at a couple of small restaurants in the area. Fried chicken, their fried cod and wedges. Don't get to fancy, just be good at what you're good at!

That's a completely different business, in a crowded, super competitive space. I'm not sure that what they've done over the years in the grocery business would set them up to be successful running restaurants.