Louisville 56 Clemson 55

Sutton clearly grabbed from behind on that last second play, but still...

My spouse and I both thought he was pulled down, too. The only other explanation could be that he was losing his balance anyway as he was backing into the defender in a move similar to a rebound block out to clear space (Sutton was facing the basket and the inbounder with the defender behind him). Had he not fallen it would have been an easy 7-foot pass to an open receiver in the lane. Even if Sutton was losing his balance, I think the defender certainly "aided" the fall by grabbing him with both hands.

Throw it down court and they don’t get a look at point blank range...

Given the UVa debacle and this "near miss," there is clearly a need to work on late game inbounds fundamentals.

In the Clemson situation, the ball cannot be inbounded under your own basket. Too many things can go wrong. If it's me, I set McMahon under the basket and pick the man guarding the inbounder (Nwora) as he is running the baseline. If the defender barrels over McMahon, at least you have your best FT shooter at the line. Malik or Enoch at the jump circle and when ball is given to Nwora, he runs along midcourt toward the way Nwora is running. Nwora passes ball toward Malik or Enoch to be "high pointed." Instead of trying to grab ball with 2 hands, Malik or Enoch tips the ball toward UofL basket toward any other UofL player and away from any Clemson player. Clock starts when Malik or Enoch taps the ball. Worst case, Clemson player runs it down, turns and tries a 3/4 court heave to beat you. More likely, clock runs out before ball can be recovered.

By not possessing the ball, you make it less likely that foul will be called against Clemson on Malik or Enoch. It's a loose ball situation and the refs typically let things go until possession is established.

Given the UVa debacle and this "near miss," there is clearly a need to work on late game inbounds fundamentals.

In the Clemson situation, the ball cannot be inbounded under your own basket. Too many things can go wrong. If it's me, I set McMahon under the basket and pick the man guarding the inbounder (Nwora) as he is running the baseline. If the defender barrels over McMahon, at least you have your best FT shooter at the line. Malik or Enoch at the jump circle and when ball is given to Nwora, he runs along midcourt toward the way Nwora is running. Nwora passes ball toward Malik or Enoch to be "high pointed." Instead of trying to grab ball with 2 hands, Malik or Enoch tips the ball toward UofL basket toward any other UofL player and away from any Clemson player. Clock starts when Malik or Enoch taps the ball. Worst case, Clemson player runs it down, turns and tries a 3/4 court heave to beat you. More likely, clock runs out before ball can be recovered.

By not possessing the ball, you make it less likely that foul will be called against Clemson on Malik or Enoch. It's a loose ball situation and the refs typically let things go until possession is established.

And I would alert the ref and the timekeeper beforehand as to what is going on....just so there are no mistakes on their ends......and also, if you're UL a Hail Mary - or maybe a prayer to St. Jude - before you break the huddle.