Texas schools: 16 game schedule

Would this work in Kentucky?

In watching the state finals from Texas again this year, I see Aledo goes 16-0 and it made me ponder the question.

I would love to see Ohio go to a 16 game season, including playoffs.

Too many games in an already too long season. Start August 1st, be done by Thanksgiving weekend. Let’s give the kids time to play a winter sport or just take some time off. Outside of entertainment purposes, there is no benefit to a 16 game season, especially physically.

Too many games in an already too long season. Start August 1st, be done by Thanksgiving weekend. Let’s give the kids time to play a winter sport or just take some time off. Outside of entertainment purposes, there is no benefit to a 16 game season, especially physically.

This. 1000%. If you don't start it at the beginning of August, at least start it the second weekend of the month and not the end of the month.

16 is too many.

But why the “finish by Thanksgiving”? You all do realize that they’ve been played that first weekend in December for the last 30 or more years, correct? (And a couple years where they’ve been played the 2nd weekend in December)

If anything cut a game out- week of the playoffs, taking less, but still play 9/10 reg season) & definitely start later.

16 is too many.

But why the “finish by Thanksgiving”? You all do realize that they’ve been played that first weekend in December for the last 30 or more years, correct? (And a couple years where they’ve been played the 2nd weekend in December)

If anything cut a game out- week of the playoffs, taking less, but still play 9/10 reg season) & definitely start later.

Only ones wanting it done by Thanksgiving are the basketball folks. Practice should start the Monday the week of August 1st (this year that would be July 29th). 1st games the weekend before Labor Day. That would allow for 4 weeks of practice. 2 scrimmages are allowed. 12 weeks to play minimum 10/ maximum 11 games. Playoffs start the following weekend. With the new RPI restructuring of the final 8 per class (the old regional finals) would now be pushed back to Thanksgiving weekend because there could be substantial travel involved on both sides of the bracket. Example in 3A East:Bell County hosting/ traveling to Ashland Blazer which is a realistic matchup. That's a 4 hour trip on a bus.

Only ones wanting it done by Thanksgiving are the basketball folks. Practice should start the Monday the week of August 1st (this year that would be July 29th). 1st games the weekend before Labor Day. That would allow for 4 weeks of practice. 2 scrimmages are allowed. 12 weeks to play minimum 10/ maximum 11 games. Playoffs start the following weekend. With the new RPI restructuring of the final 8 per class (the old regional finals) would now be pushed back to Thanksgiving weekend because there could be substantial travel involved on both sides of the bracket. Example in 3A East:Bell County hosting/ traveling to Ashland Blazer which is a realistic matchup. That's a 4 hour trip on a bus.

There are other winter sports outside of basketball ;)

Which ones in KY high schools? And my point did not mean to leave off other sports but 99% are basketball diehards wanting to start and wanting football over with.

I was really just kidding around, but there is wrestling in KY in the winter as well. Just poking a little fun at basketball diehards.

Why do so many people say the football season is to long? Basketball games usually starts end of November. Then you have 3 full months of December, January, and February. Then teams who make it to regionals and state play to middle of March. While football starts close to end of August. Then two full months of games in September and October. The only ones playing through November are the ones who keep winning in the playoffs.

So why do so many people always say the football season is to long. Yet no one says a word about basketball? A sport that can be played year round, when you count AAU. Then high schools also get June to play summer games too.

Sorry I just never understood the complaints who say football season is to long. The season is right and playoffs is the right amount imo.

Why do so many people say the football season is to long? Basketball games usually starts end of November. Then you have 3 full months of December, January, and February. Then teams who make it to regionals and state play to middle of March. While football starts close to end of August. Then two full months of games in September and October. The only ones playing through November are the ones who keep winning in the playoffs.

So why do so many people always say the football season is to long. Yet no one says a word about basketball? A sport that can be played year round, when you count AAU. Then high schools also get June to play summer games too.

Sorry I just never understood the complaints who say football season is to long. The season is right and playoffs is the right amount imo.

I think basketball season has too many games as well. About 24 games max but 22 would be more ideal. Last year's state finalists played 39 games each (10 postseason).

I think basketball season has too many games as well. About 24 games max but 22 would be more ideal. Last year's state finalists played 39 games each (10 postseason).

For the kids who are playing each of those sports. I doubt they think they play to many games. Especially since most sports have off season conditioning and training for months. When you account all the practice and conditioning put in. The amount of games is very small compared to that. So I don't think changing the one thing kids like about sports, which is games is a good idea. Maybe finding ways to shorten or limit all the off season stuff for their perspective sports in terms of off season conditioning, weights, etc.

Edited by bugatti

The title is a bit misleading. The question is really do you think teams should play an 11 game schedule? The only teams playing 15 or 16 games are the two advancing to the finals.

On balance, I am sure it is much more challenging to make the playoffs in Texas, whereas in Kentucky, most teams are guaranteed at least a first round (11th) game.

The title is a bit misleading. The question is really do you think teams should play an 11 game schedule? The only teams playing 15 or 16 games are the two advancing to the finals.

On balance, I am sure it is much more challenging to make the playoffs in Texas, whereas in Kentucky, most teams are guaranteed at least a first round (11th) game.

All of this. Also, there are 254 teams in 6A alone in Texas, compared to 221 total teams in Kentucky, so developing a viable playoff system makes playing 16 games in Texas almost necessary.

I think the 10 game regular season format is fine but instead of playing the first game in mid august, have instead the first game played in the first week of august. This will lead to no games in December and late November, so the weather will be a lot warmer and bring more people to the game. This will also cause less injury's (mostly cramps do to the cold). Its a win win for both the players and the khsaa. The players get better weather and less injuries and the Khsaa gets more money.