9th Region Week 6 Review: A lot of movement from #3 all the way to the end.

PP1

It has been an active week in the 9th Region. Covington Catholic flexed their muscle against a tough Newport team, Highlands is scuffling with a losing streak, and Bellevue almost made our headline. The season is about half over and we are starting to get a feel for district seeds as we await the beginning of the All A Tournament. Every team in the region has a digit in the win column now and it will be fun to see who can get hot at the right time.

1. Cooper (13-2): Cooper played once last week and defeated Boone County by 18. I do not see them leaving the #1 spot unless several things happen in a row. They have a big week against Simon Kenton and Cov Cath. It would probably take them losing both games and other teams winning big games to bump them. Cooper can win both games, but it will take a strong defensive effort. Simon Kenton could cause them more problems than Covington Catholic.

2. Beechwood (14-2): The Tigers won two games last week against out-of-region teams. The more impressive victory was against Oldham County. Oldham is considered one of the elite in the 8th Region. There is a buzz about Beechwood this year and they have their first District Game on the 11th when they travel to Holmes. Also circle next Monday; Beechwood and Newport square off in the “play-in” game for the All A Tournament. The game is at Beechwood. The rest of the Tournament is at Newport Central Catholic.

3. Covington Catholic (12-4): Covington Catholic earned the trip back to the Top 3 this week with double-digit victories against Newport and Conner. I did not get out to either of these games, but the commentary suggested a dominating performance against Newport and a “closer” game against Conner. Rumors of players returning to the roster are running rampant and it's difficult to predict where this team is headed in the future. For now though, based on records and strength of schedule, the Colonels will remain behind Beechwood. They play Cooper on Friday and that, my friends, will be a clash of Titans.

4. Newport (12-4): Newport is on a 3-game losing streak, including a 17-point loss to Covington Catholic. They will try to get things right on Wednesday when they travel to Lloyd Memorial. That should be a close game.

5. Lloyd Memorial (9-3): Lloyd won a district match-up against Villa Madonna last week. According to KHSAA, Zaire Monroe had 18 points. The Juggernauts have the opportunity to move up next week if they can beat Newport. I noticed that they are not scheduled to participate in the All A tournament this year, perhaps this is old news, but it is new to me.

6. Highlands (8-7): Highlands is riding a 4-game losing streak and hope to get things right against Conner. They did have some tough matchups against Scott and Simon Kenton and Sissen scored 18 points. In order for the Bluebirds to hang on to the #6 spot, they will have to beat Conner on Tuesday.

7. Conner (6-7): The Cougars took a loss this week, but it looks like they played pretty well against Covington Catholic. They seem to be spreading the ball around with a Cousins, Osterbur, and Ginn scoring in double digits on various nights. They are 1-5 in their last six games but do seem to be playing a little better. They have a tough schedule remaining this year and it could set them up for a successful late season push.

8. Dixie Heights (6-9): Dixie beat Ryle by 20 points in their only game. They have three big games coming up against St. Henry, Oldham County, and Simon Kenton. Arien Gentry is averaging 6 rebounds a game and is shooting 50% from the field this year.

9. Newport Central Catholic (6-8) The Breds won their only game this week to improve their record to 6-8. New Cath and Dixie are very similar teams, but I decided to flip flop them on the fact that Dixie did defeat them earlier in the year. Newport Catholic plays Holy Cross and Bellevue coming up.

10. St. Henry (4-9): The Cru’ went 1-1 last week with a big win and a big loss. They play three games in the next 5 days against Boone County, Dixie Heights, and Villa Madonna. That should give us a better barometer of their progress.

11. Holy Cross (4-9): The Indians lost to Grant County by 1-point in Brandon Grammar’s trip back to Dry Ridge. Holy Cross previously lost to Grant County over the Holidays by a 14-point margin. They play New Cath this week to try and break this spell before the All A Tournament.

12. Holmes (4-11): Holmes lost to Bishop Brossart by 1 point last week. They have two players in Pouncey and Green averaging double-digit points. There may be some injuries hitting the squad because only four players have appeared in all 14 games (per khsaa.com).

13. Ryle (4-10): I watch this team and they do not look that bad. It is my job to figure this stuff out and I’m failing. The win against Boone County is huge because it lets them avoid being the #4 Seed. Ryle travels to Beechwood and North Oldham this week.

14. Boone County (4-12): The Rebels are playing better. They are 3-2 in their last five and took a devastating loss to Ryle in overtime. Parker Fields had 20 points and 6 rebounds against a much larger Raider team and, less my eyes deceive me, Parker Kyle scored 31 points against the Cooper Jaguars. Senior, Julian Velasquez, went down with an ankle injury on Monday against Ryle and did not appear on the stat sheet against Cooper. On a side note, I met the father of Boone County’s JV Coach during the Ryle game and he seemed like a nice guy.

15. Bellevue (4-11): An interesting week for the boys that wear my old uniforms. A loss to Bracken County, followed by a strong victory against the Ludlow Panthers, and then they almost pull off an upset against a much larger Ryle squad. Bellevue has two district match-ups in Dayton and Newport Catholic this week.

16. Ludlow (7-7): Despite the better record, Ludlow took at 26-point thumping against Bellevue, a team they defeated a few weeks earlier by 4 points. I couldn’t get any details from the game despite starting a thread, so I do not know how this played out. The Panthers play Bracken and Heritage this week.

17. Villa Madonna (6-9): The Vikings went 1-1 last week but have to drop a couple slots considering how the rest of the region played out. Villa sees opposite sides of the spectrum this week with St. Henry and Heritage Academy.

18. Dayton (3-11): The Devils lost to St. Henry by 37 points last week. They play Heritage Academy on Monday.

19. Covington Latin (1-8) The Trojans got their first victory in defeating Heritage Academy this week so they get out of the cellar. They have not posted any stats yet, so I do not know who is playing well for them.

20. Heritage Academy (1-7): Heritage took a 64-63 loss at the hands of Latin over the weekend. Jared Siren had 20 points and Don Chambers had 17 rebounds. IF they can beat Dayton this week, I’ll move them up a slot or two.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Do you believe Beechwood has played a tougher schedule thus far?

I don't know enough about the out-of-state teams, including the Cincinnati schools, to make a determination. I think Beechwood's victory over Campbell County is better then any of Covington Catholic's "Kentucky" victories. A disparity between the two records is Cov Cath's victory over Lexington Catholic was by a much greater margin then Beechwood's.

I think Covington Catholic' loss to Highlands is important as well.

Do I think the Colonels can beat the Tigers? I think either team can win the game. I stand strong though that Beechwood deserves to be #2 .

I don't know enough about the out-of-state teams, including the Cincinnati schools, to make a determination. I think Beechwood's victory over Campbell County is better then any of Covington Catholic's "Kentucky" victories. A disparity between the two records is Cov Cath's victory over Lexington Catholic was by a much greater margin then Beechwood's.

I think Covington Catholic' loss to Highlands is important as well.

Do I think the Colonels can beat the Tigers? I think either team can win the game. I stand strong though that Beechwood deserves to be #2 .

I'm not worried about who is #2 or #3, as I said a week ago, that will all be settled on the court and is immaterial at this point. I was just asking about your stance on the "strength of schedule" of the two teams, since you called that out specifically in your post. Was just curious, and appreciate you replying.

I'm not worried about who is #2 or #3, as I said a week ago, that will all be settled on the court and is immaterial at this point. I was just asking about your stance on the "strength of schedule" of the two teams, since you called that out specifically in your post. Was just curious, and appreciate you replying.

Campbell County and Oldham County are huge to me. But it is possible that some of those Florida or Cincinnati schools are top notch.

Cov Cath is going to be near the top if for nothing else their depth. Cov Cath struggles with outside shooting but they are patient and keep working for layups. Beechwood is scrappy and have some good shooters who can get hot at anytime and beat anyone. Beechwood I feel will struggle when the outside shooting struggles. Cooper has the depth defensively and can take anyone out their game but struggle shooting like Cov Cath does. If Newport and Lloyd can stay out of foul trouble they can beat anyone but lack in depth also. The list is good. I’ve seen all the teams and I’d agree with what you have put together.

I've yet to see Lloyd play so the matchup with Newport Wednesday night is especially intriguing to me. They seem to be somewhat in the conversation nowadays when in preseason no one was talking about them other than they had gained some Dixie transfers.

A few things, in my opinion:

-CovCath has certainly played a tougher overall schedule than Beechwood. CCH also defeated LexCath by 25, to Beechwood barely beating them in OT. CovCath seems to have some of its swagger back and seems poised to make a run here in NKY. To be the man, you have to beat the man, and right now, the latest state champs are that man. Good luck, opponents.

-That said, Beechwood still has the pieces to compete with CCH, and maybe beat them on a given night. They have been blowing people out in games that are never close. I believe their could be something special to this Beechwood team.

-While were talking about schedules: let’s talk about Lloyd being 9-3 but has not played the schedule of these other teams, except Brossart, who they beat, and also lost to. I guess if we’re doing “feel good” rankings based on record, fine Lloyd is 5. But, a healthy Highlands would defeat Lloyd, imo, and NCC (I know their record is currently worse) already beat them. This said, they have a chance at home to make a statement vs. Newport this week.

-Since you didn’t see the games, Makhi McGuire was out for Newport vs. CovCath, and I believe Jalen Scott was out for Conner vs. CovCath. Since we’re playing hypotheticals with numbers (records) Scott averages 16/gm, and so does McGuire, so those two games vs. CCH may have gone different if the 2 teams had their key pieces.

-While we’re discussing schedule strength, has anyone seen Newport’s schedule? Campbell, Highlands, GRC, SK, LexCath, University Heights, CovCath, and Cincinnati Hills (have only lost 1 game in Ohio... not sure how good they are, but have won every game on the schedule except 1.... maybe someone can confirm??). They are 4-4 vs. that schedule, and 6 of those games came right in a row. 3 of those 4 losses are to teams who are ranked Top 10 in the state (according to BGP, AP, Courier Journal, etc.), and 2 of the 4 were played without a leading Newport scorer and key player in McGuire.

-Cooper clearly looks like the best team in the region to me. They have size, defense, coaching, and find ways to score. Houston, Spencer, Hampton have been excellent in their roles, and Centers & Baker seem to be coming on big. They play CCH soon, and that should be a war! Hope to see it.

Lastly, let me also agree with a previous poster in saying that rankings are “immaterial” at this point, as it will all solve itself by the end of the season. That said, it’s fun to talk about.

-CovCath has certainly played a tougher overall schedule than Beechwood. CCH also defeated LexCath by 25, to Beechwood barely beating them in OT. CovCath seems to have some of its swagger back and seems poised to make a run here in NKY. To be the man, you have to beat the man, and right now, the latest state champs are that man. Good luck, opponents.

-That said, Beechwood still has the pieces to compete with CCH, and maybe beat them on a given night. They have been blowing people out in games that are never close. I believe their could be something special to this Beechwood team.

-While were talking about schedules: let’s talk about Lloyd being 9-3 but has not played the schedule of these other teams, except Brossart, who they beat, and also lost to. I guess if we’re doing “feel good” rankings based on record, fine Lloyd is 5. But, a healthy Highlands would defeat Lloyd, imo, and NCC (I know their record is currently worse) already beat them. This said, they have a chance at home to make a statement vs. Newport this week.

-Since you didn’t see the games, Makhi McGuire was out for Newport vs. CovCath, and I believe Jalen Scott was out for Conner vs. CovCath. Since we’re playing hypotheticals with numbers (records) Scott averages 16/gm, and so does McGuire, so those two games vs. CCH may have gone different if the 2 teams had their key pieces.

-While we’re discussing schedule strength, has anyone seen Newport’s schedule? Campbell, Highlands, GRC, SK, LexCath, University Heights, CovCath, and Cincinnati Hills (have only lost 1 game in Ohio... not sure how good they are, but have won every game on the schedule except 1.... maybe someone can confirm??). They are 4-4 vs. that schedule, and 6 of those games came right in a row. 3 of those 4 losses are to teams who are ranked Top 10 in the state (according to BGP, AP, Courier Journal, etc.), and 2 of the 4 were played without a leading Newport scorer and key player in McGuire.

-Cooper clearly looks like the best team in the region to me. They have size, defense, coaching, and find ways to score. Houston, Spencer, Hampton have been excellent in their roles, and Centers & Baker seem to be coming on big. They play CCH soon, and that should be a war! Hope to see it.

Lastly, let me also agree with a previous poster in saying that rankings are “immaterial” at this point, as it will all solve itself by the end of the season. That said, it’s fun to talk about.

Good read...dig your assessments. :thumb:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks to me like in your beginning summary you're saying CCH is the best team in the region and in your closing that Cooper appears to be the best team, how can that be.