50 year marriage survives another crisis

Oldercoach

Rocking and rolling down I75 to sunny Ft. Myers. Mrs. Oldercoach suddenly asks me(????) where she put her phone. We call it with mine and we hear no ring in the car. Pondering what's our next move she recalled putting it on the back of something in the McDonalds' restroom at Exit 82 in Georgia. I try the phone again and sure enough an employee answers. We turn around at Exit 32 giving us a silent but wonderful 100 mile roundtrip redo.

My question is what should have been my proper response?

1). Take total blame for having asked when she originally came out of the bathroom if she got lucky (old people will understand the question); rather than do you have your phone.

2). Acknowledge I failed to check out how her jeans looked like I always did years ago. If I had I would have seen her phone was not in her back pocket.

3). Kindly acknowledged that it was just an innocent old age forgetful moment.

4). Sweetly tell her I sure am glad I didn't make such a dumb mistake.

5). Just laugh and tell her she better never make that mistake again.

6). Simply announce no more bathroom breaks until we get the next 400 miles behind us to make sure she doesn't do it again.

Well I opted for solution #1. We are now 40 miles into Florida and still married.

Smart choice, congrats on 50 years, pretty awesome. I had a much more minor experience a few yrs ago, was at a family reunion in southern Harrison County, South of Cynthiana, got close to home in Ft Mitchell at the time, my wife realized she left her purse in Harrison County, to this day, every time we go down there I remind her about it, in a joking way of course, and we have survived over 40 yrs. Enjoy Florida.

Arrived safe and dry. Failed to tell you, besides Option #1, I also invoked Option #6...the no bathroom break for 400 miles. At 250 miles I happily agreed to her pleadings and stopped for a break, but advised she was absolutely on conditional probation. When she came out of the bathroom I smilingly commented how nicely her cellphone complimented the shapely filled jeans she was wearing. All is well with Mrs. Oldercoach. Looking forward to another 50 years.