Mason County 65 Newport 7

PP1

As someone that has been on both sides of a score like this, I disagree with telling players not to shoot. Its not fair to the players who train and work hard daily that they have to stop their progress just because they are scheduled against a weaker opponent. You play who is on your schedule.

55-7 or 65-7, What's the difference???

Entirely new cast of characters playing at this stage of the game. Kids who don't often get the opportunity.

Now if this is a Ben Coffman, "Press 'em till they drop" situation that's a whole different situation, but I know Brad Cox well enough to know that this wasn't the case.

There are things you can do to keep it respectful. Walk the ball up the floor and run offense for two minutes before you shoot, close out hard on the shooters but don’t steal or block the shot, don’t shoot any right handed layups, Demand they shoot left-handed layups with their left hand, or don’t take a jumpshot until you reverse the ball three or four times. There are things you could do to avoid this. With a running clock, it’s not too complicated.

But hey, this region is full of coaches that are better than me.

I agree that there are ways to ease the score of a game like this but some of the suggestions I have seen on here are a total mockery of a high school Varsity game. I would make sure that starters dont play after halftime, make sure that players 8-12 played the majority of the minutes, no pressing, no fast breaking, 2-3 zone inside the 3 point arc. There was no way that Mason Co knew when this game was scheduled that Newport would be in the disarray that they are in or I imagine they would not have made the trip for the game.