Teams changing classes

PP1

Some teams moved up on the basis of their increased enrollment size (e.g. - Beechwood is moving up from 1A to 2A). Teams are able to request to move up in class on the basis of geographic isolation from other teams in the same class (e.g. - Highlands is a 4A-size program that elects to play up in 5A).

If a team is electing to move up in class, then the smallest team in the class above is allowed the opportunity to play in the class below.

Hypothetical: If a team is 3A this year and will move to 4A next year, is this because they requested a move or did the KHSAA force this upon them?

Someone with better knowledge than I can probably correct me but, I think Boyle was on the cusp of the 4A/3A line and asked to move to 4A because Lex Cath was having to move there and Anderson County was already there thus making a good nearby District.

Hypothetical: If a team is 3A this year and will move to 4A next year, is this because they requested a move or did the KHSAA force this upon them?

KHSAA doesn't force anyone to move that doesn't meet the enrollment requirement. You don't automatically get bumped up a class unless your male enrollment crosses the dividing line. Now, you may move classes and your male enrollment stays the same because their line changes.

I think I understand how it works if a team elects to move up in a class but in order to do so, someone from the higher class would have to agree to move down, correct? Let's say Highlands requested to play up again in 5A. Would KHSAA then go to the lowest ranking school in 5A and ask if they want to move down? If that team declined, would KHSAA go to the second lowest ranking school in 5A then and ask? They would keep doing that until they found a school who was willing to move down?

I think I understand how it works if a team elects to move up in a class but in order to do so, someone from the higher class would have to agree to move down, correct? Let's say Highlands requested to play up again in 5A. Would KHSAA then go to the lowest ranking school in 5A and ask if they want to move down? If that team declined, would KHSAA go to the second lowest ranking school in 5A then and ask? They would keep doing that until they found a school who was willing to move down?

I don't think so. I think they would just deny that initial school's request to play up.