Cincinnati 78 NKU 65

Walter

Nothing really went the Norse way after the first six minutes or so. Next 12 minutes was filled with missed free throws, UC making nearly every free throw (16 for 18 at the half), and defensive breakdowns.

You can't win with McDonald going 3 for 15 and Walton going 2 for 11. Both missed a ton of inside shots--Walton 2 lay ups and Drew didn't make a shot in the first half.

Disappointing that they didn't give themselves a chance although they had multiple shots to get it back to single digits with 11 or 12 minutes left and couldn't do it. It would have a least made things interesting.

Officials didn't help but it doesn't matter when you're 6 for 15 at the line. The "T" on Brannen was a joke unless someone can tell me that he said some "magic words".

NKU on average fouls 23 times a game. Last night they were called for 23 fouls. It wasn’t on the refs they foul way too much...

I wouldn't question hardly any of the fouls ON the Norse. In fact, they played poor defense and had four or five dumb fouls. It was what wasn't called on UC (and the "T").

Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty on par. I think the Bearcats got away with a few things, but that happens when you're physically and athletically superior to your opponents.

NKU did not play very well IMO. UC didn't give up many open looks, but when they did the Norse couldn't capitalize. That's a recipe for disaster when your playing teams with superior talent.

Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty on par. I think the Bearcats got away with a few things, but that happens when you're physically and athletically superior to your opponents.

NKU did not play very well IMO. UC didn't give up many open looks, but when they did the Norse couldn't capitalize. That's a recipe for disaster when your playing teams with superior talent.

I thought NKU got good looks all night. They were 11 for 25 on threes and I don't remember many bad ones. They got into the paint quite a bit. Drew made his moves inside but nothing was falling for him--the help defender blocked him a couple of times but nothing like UCF. They got more offensive rebounds than UC and had several put-backs baskets. They didn't get into late shot clock situations that I can remember. And, they had no trouble with UC's press--I don't remember a turnover against full-court pressure.

UCF shut NKU down in the second half--blocked shots, no open threes, etc--I never felt like that last night. UC played good defense but nothing like that although I don't think that was UC's A-game in play or effort. Though spot for them, which is why I liked NKU's chances to play with them going in. UC was pretty focused from the beginning.

NKU was 8-22 from three until Sharpe threw in three in a row when the game was out of reach. UC grabbed 13 of 18 missed shots in the first half to totally dominate the glass. A 72% offensive rebound rate is bonkers.

UC wasn’t trapping and trying to force pressure in the press. It was designed to slow NKU down and keep them from running crisp offense, and it worked all night.

We must have watched a different game. It was a blowout for 30 minutes...

NKU was 8-22 from three until Sharpe threw in three in a row when the game was out of reach. UC grabbed 13 of 18 missed shots in the first half to totally dominate the glass. A 72% offensive rebound rate is bonkers.

UC wasn’t trapping and trying to force pressure in the press. It was designed to slow NKU down and keep them from running crisp offense, and it worked all night.

We must have watched a different game. It was a blowout for 30 minutes...

Most coaches in America will take 8 for 22 when they're a significant underdog and anyone would take 11 for 25 (the last three DO count).

I didn't say UC didn't dominate the glass in the first half, so not sure what your point was there.

UC was running a match-up press and NKU got the ball inbounds and didn't get rushed or out of control which is what it is designed to do. Even if Mick put a red light on the traps, they still handled full court man pressure without a turnover. I'll take it. You didn't dispute any of the points I made about NKU's night offensively.

No one would call a game that was a 12-point game with 12 minutes left (and never over 20) a blowout. UC was in control for the last 30 minutes but that's a very loose definition of a blowout if you want to call it that.