Who Repeats as State Champions Next Year?

Will anyone repeat as state champions?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will anyone repeat as state champions?

• Beechwood
    • Louisville Central
    • Christian Academy-Louisville
    • Franklin-Simpson
    • Male
    • South Warren
    • None of the above. Their will be all new champions in each class.

With 2018 season finally coming to a close, and the new district alignment being implemented next season, who will repeat as state champions?

6A: Male 37-20 over Scott County. (Male stays put in 6A, Scott County moves to 5A).

5A: South Warren 20-16 over Cov Cath. (Both are staying in 5A).

3A: Central 20-19 over Corbin. (Both teams move to 4A).

2A: Christian Academy-Louisville 34-26 over Mayfield. (CAL moves to 3A, Mayfield stays in 2A).

1A: Beechwood 21-20 over Pikeville. (Beechwood moves to 2A, Pikeville stays in 1A).

So, out of all the teams that won a state championship this season, who is the most likely to repeat as state champions next season?

Here is a list of the reclassification.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/2019-2022-football-360717-page2.html

6A favorite is probably Trinity because...well it’s Trinity.

5A is going to be fun. South Warren loses Spurrier, Bush and Lacey among others and it may be nearly impossible to replace them with comparable talent. Combine that with CovCath, Highlands and the addition of Scott County and Frederick Douglass and it’s hard to determine an early favorite.

4A will be loaded next year with most of the 3A powerhouses moving up. Boyle County returns a lot so they are probably the early favorite. FS loses a lot from the back to back championship teams. Wildcats have some good pieces coming back but the threepeat will be a tall task. Central is always in the mix and they will make some noise as usual.

3A favorite is probably CAL which is why I think they’ll repeat. They’ve got something good going there especially for a young program.

2A looks like Mayfield and Beechwood and I would slightly favor Mayfield there.

1A will have a new champ with Beechwood moving up to 2A. Pikeville, Raceland and NewCath are probably early favorites there.

With 2018 season finally coming to a close, and the new district alignment being implemented next season, who will repeat as state champions?

6A: Male 37-20 over Scott County. (Male stays put in 6A, Scott County moves to 5A).

5A: South Warren 20-16 over Cov Cath. (Both are staying in 5A).

3A: Central 20-19 over Corbin. (Both teams move to 4A).

2A: Christian Academy-Louisville 34-26 over Mayfield. (CAL moves to 3A, Mayfield stays in 2A).

1A: Beechwood 21-20 over Pikeville. (Beechwood moves to 2A, Pikeville stays in 1A).

So, out of all the teams that won a state championship this season, who is the most likely to repeat as state champions next season?

Here is a list of the reclassification.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/2019-2022-football-360717-page2.html

You forgot 4A Franklin Simpson.

This is a tough one.

Beechwood - Moves up in class to be reunited with Mayfield in 2A. Mayfield has owned the Tigers in recent years. Plus, Beechwood has a lot to replace next year.

CAL - Like Beechwood, the Centurions move up in class. And archrival DeSales will be joining them. On the plus side, outside of Milton Wright, CAL returns an abundance of talent. Especially along the line of scrimmage and in the offensive backfield.

Central - To continue a theme… Central moves up in class next season. And their new home should be bananas. They'll be part of a large exodus of 3A powers moving up, along with Corbin, Boyle County, and Lexington Catholic.

Franklin-Simpson - The Wildcats are staying put, but that could be problematic for their chances of repeating. As I stated above, 4A is about to be invaded by some heavy hitters from 3A, plus JC isn't going anywhere any time soon. FS loses quite a bit to graduation.

South Warren - They lose most of their big name guys from this past season - Spurrier, Lacey, Bush, Harrison, Jackson, and all three linebackers. They'll be in the mix again, but so will CovCath, Highlands and Bowling Green. Then you factor in Scott County and Frederick Douglass coming down from 6A. Yikes.

Male - Anytime you share a class with Trinity and win a championship, you're always looking over your shoulder. The Dawgs must replace Garrett Dennis, who really strapped the team to his back and carried them to a state title. Should have plenty of talent coming back.

I'm tempted to go with Duece on this one and say nobody repeats. But I think I'll go with CAL. Class 3A will be weakened a great deal by the departure of several stalwart programs. Only Belfry remains. I think the Centurions can get the job done in 3A next year.

1A: With Beechwood moving up obviously there will be a new champ. I would peg Pikeville as the favorite, NewCath, Raceland, and Paintsville are the next tier.

2A: Beechwood moves up. I would put them and Mayfield 1A and 1B as favorites. Somerset and LCA a clear rung below.

3A: CAL moves up and their primary antagonist will be DeSales coming with them and Belfry on the opposite side of the bracket. Belfry returns a whole lot for sure but I would say CAL will be the favorite. Belfry and DeSales one rung below. Tilghman, Etown, Bell County, Ashland, and Russel the next step below.

4A: This class will be a BEAR! Central moves up and should be stout. Johnson Central and Franklin-Simpson will remain.Newcomers Corbin, LexCath, Boyle County, and Anderson County will all be very good. I would say at first glance this one is too tough to call. I think Boyle, Corbin, and Johnson Central initially stand out.

5A: Frederick Douglass is the interesting plot twist here. How they are 5A still baffles me. You also have the whole Scott County division thing. At first glance I still think CovCath is the favorite with South Warren still clearly in contention.

6A: Will Trinity and X rebound? Male should still be solid.

Beechwood- 50%

CAL- 60%

Central- 20%

Franklin-Simpson- 15%

South Warren- 20%

Male- 35%

How much does Franklin-Simpson return next year? That was a sloppy title game on both sides, but they were a BIG team and could prove to be troublesome for anyone in 4A even with the additions from 3A.

I think CAL would have beat anyone in the bottom four classes this year, and I expect them, with who they have returning, to be even better next year. I think 3A is CAL's to lose at this point, but maybe the loss of Wright will have a bigger impact than expected.