European Mount Help Needed

00Rocket28

While helping my dad track his buck today, I came across a really nice 12 pt carcass. Probably been there a couple of weeks. I’m guessing it came on our land after having been shot on someone else’s land. We’re gonna check with the neighboring properties to see if anyone shot one and couldn’t find it. If we can’t find out who it belongs too, I’m wanting to do a European Mount with it? Anyone ever done one? Any pointers? Tips?

How deep? Like completely underground, horns and all? For how long?

From how they explain it to me is bury the skull leave the horns above ground wrapped in aluminum foil. Just read up about it, apparently that’s not too popular of a method. Causes possible decay of the skull as well as near impossible to get the skull white again.

Did you contact DNR? If not, you may be in possession of an illegal set of antlers. Just throwing that out there.

As for the Euro mount, you can youtube this method, but here is what I do.

Skin it first, and do everything outdoors. Trust me.

I use a turkey fryer and a shallow pot or the side burner on a gas grill. Pot needs to be just big enough for the skull to fit in. Fill the water just above the skull, leaving the antlers exposed and bring it to a slow simmer for a couple hours. You'll have to keep adding water and I usually add a little Dawn liquid. After a couple of hours, I use a pressure washer to blow off the meat and skin (wear goggles and rain gear :D) and then back in the pot. Every 45 minutes or so pressure wash again and repeat until you have all the tissue off. You may have to pick with pliers, knives etc. in some places.

Once all the brain matter is out, and all skin and meat are off, let it dry well. Then I paint it with a bleaching agent you can get at a beauty supply store to whiten it. It will take several coats. I can't remember the name but I have it at home and will post later and it is dirt cheap. You can achieve the whiteness you want with as many or as few coats as you like.

A lot of really nice looking "paint dip" skulls I have seen online. Looks like an easy method too.

Did you contact DNR? If not, you may be in possession of an illegal set of antlers. Just throwing that out there.

I use a turkey fryer and a shallow pot or the side burner on a gas grill. Pot needs to be just big enough for the skull to fit in. Fill the water just above the skull, leaving the antlers exposed and bring it to a slow simmer for a couple hours. You'll have to keep adding water and I usually add a little Dawn liquid. After a couple of hours, I use a pressure washer to blow off the meat and skin (wear goggles and rain gear :D) and then back in the pot. Every 45 minutes or so pressure wash again and repeat until you have all the tissue off. You may have to pick with pliers, knives etc. in some places.

Once all the brain matter is out, and all skin and meat are off, let it dry well. Then I paint it with a bleaching agent you can get at a beauty supply store to whiten it. It will take several coats. I can't remember the name but I have it at home and will post later and it is dirt cheap. You can achieve the whiteness you want with as many or as few coats as you like.

A lot of really nice looking "paint dip" skulls I have seen online. Looks like an easy method too.

yeah, your supposed to get a carcass tag if you find one dead. Just contact the DNR and they will give you one.

I did a euro with my buck this year. I skinned the skull then boiled it, scraping the meat away when it came loose.

It was super frustrating getting each tiny piece removed, plus it made the skull super fragile.

Once it was clean, I spray painted the skull. There is a picture over in the other thread. I’m not sure I would do the boiling method again.

You might be better off burying it and letting the beetles eat away at it.

Oh I’m familiar with the tag. My neighbor is a Ky Fish and Wildlife Officer. Got the tag that day lol.