Class 5A State Semi-Finals: South Warren at South Oldham

DevilMayCare

Who gets the W?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the W?

South Warren (13-0) put on a frightening display against Owensboro, pounding the Red Devils 44-7. The Spartans got it done just like they have all year - offensively, defensively, and special teams-ively.

South Oldham (12-1) put away Fern Creek 35-12 for their 12th straight win and second regional championship in the last three years. Can the Dragons’ running game put a dent in SW's stone wall defense and deliver their program the breakthrough win they've been waiting for, or will the Spartan army march onward to Kroger Field?

South Oldham did a great job last week vs a very physical Fern Creek team. But like every level of the playoffs, the next game is a little tougher. And South Warren is every bit of that. To me, the Dragons can match skill position players on both sides of the ball with about anyone in the state. These guys are experienced, tough and very skilled. The line play will be the key to the game. South Warren boasts a stud in Jacob Lacy and the others on the line are no slouches. South Oldhams line play will be tested. This will be a hard fought game that I am looking forward to seeing. Dragon Stadium will be rocking come Friday night!

You know that Week 2 game where UAB schedules Bama...and it's close for like 5 minutes...Yeah, you get the idea...

South hands out their last running clock...

South Oldham?

South Warren?

"South" is a little too ambiguous in this game.

South Warren has to be the favorite, but South Oldham is capable.

The Dragons are currently riding a school-record 12 game winning streak.

But I don't think the Dragons have seen the kind of balanced attack that the Spartans boast - and they are A+ level at both passing and running. That's the key to the game, I think. South Oldham d vs South Warren offense.

Broadcast time 7 pm ET; live video broadcast at The Pegasus Sports Network - PSN

This is all going to have interesting storylines....

- Steve Spurrier's grandson is the QB for South Warren.

- South Warren has had incredible success since opening a few years ago, and is making a return trip to the SF.

- South Oldham is on a school-record 12 game winning streak (12-1) since losing their opener to CAL.

- Since Jamie Reed took over in Crestwood, South Oldham has never had a losing season and won their 7th consecutive district title this year.

- South Oldham was last in the semi-finals just two years ago, when they lost to Pulaski County.

- Since the school opened in 1989, South Oldham has made the SF three times - losing in the early 90s to Paducah Tilghman (and Billy Jack Haskins), and in 2016 to Pulaski County prior to this appearance.

Two teams so far apart geographically, there's been no common opponents; very hard often to make a comparison in such instances. South Warren was expected to be here by most, I think, but South Oldham came into the season with questions - which they've answered in spades.

Going to be a fun night in Crestwood!