Winter on its way to Kentucky?

nWo

Looking at the start of next week winter may be on its way to parts of Kentucky. The GFS is showing the possibility of accumulating snow from Monday evening into the day on Tuesday. Everything depends on how fast gets into Kentucky to change the rain into snow. A cold front is forecast to enter into Kentucky during the day on Monday. Moisture is also forecast to move into the state from the southwest. So timing will be everything for the possibility of any accumulating snows. The following is the 24 GFS Radar from 7 pm ET Monday to the same time Tuesday evening.

32-nodither.gif

This is what the GFS is showing on the possibility of accumulating snow. Now we need to take these totals with a grain of salt because we are still several days out. For now, 2-4" with some may be higher local amounts in the eastern part of the state.

snku_acc.us_ov.png

Once again this is not an official forecast on snow accumulations. Just putting this out to give everyone the heads up if this comes to fruition. I'll be monitoring this closely since this could be our first accumulating snow of this upcoming winter season.

Looks like it will miss the real Western Kentucky.

This morning GFS has indeed shown a westward shift of the track of the possible snow. Western Kentucky is now in play. Word of caution things could possibly shift back and forth as we get closer. Still showing the possibility of 2-4 inches of snow.

This morning GFS has indeed shown a westward shift of the track of the possible snow. Western Kentucky is now in play. Word of caution things could possibly shift back and forth as we get closer. Still showing the possibility of 2-4 inches of snow.

Can you post that?

As I cautioned earlier we will be seeing some fluctuations in the possible forecast snowfall totals. This morning GFS is showing 1-2 of accumulations with parts of southern and eastern Kentucky getting from a dusting to around 1 inch. This is from late Monday night thru Tuesday afternoon.

snku_acc.us_ov (1).png

Should start getting a good read on this first possible snowfall of this upcoming winter season later today when the name extends out past Tuesday.

@nWo

What’s the latest?

As of this afternoon, the storm track has shifted further west. So it looks like if Kentucky gets any snow it will be from a dusting to 1 inch along the Ohio River. I'll update in the morning. More than likely there won't be much of a change in this outlook because the models are in good agreement.

All the models are in good agreement. The snow looks to have moved west of Kentucky into Missouri Arkansas and parts of Illinois. Some in Kentucky may see some snow showers and flurries.

The next event I'm watching is the possibility of some freezing rain on Thursday. I will post more on that later today.