Open Job: Estill County

Sounds like the Estill County is going to be looking for a new coach.

Mike Jones has been the skipper for the Engineers for 18 years now. I haven't heard much else, but after a good number of successful seasons in the first half of the 2010's, this season and last season obviously didn't turn out how anyone in or around the Estill County program would have liked.

Hasn't been made official yet but it seems to be headed that way. Lots of stuff posted on Facebook that seems he's retiring.

I know he can retire from teaching after this year.

If Mike does indeed step down, I can see either Russ Swim or Austin Moore get the job. Both are coaches on the staff. Another possibility is Bath County coach Jhonny Poytner. His wife is from Estill County.

Long shot but possible old ball coach, Hoover Niece comes out of retirement to coach his grandson who will be the sophomore quarterback next season.

Whoever gets the job will have a brutal schedule to deal with.

Mike Jones and Hoover Niece are special people and coaches. For a program that’s not any kind of a traditional power they sure have had stability there.

Their facilities are average at best and maybe not even that. Home bleachers that are more or less those of a glorified visiting side (with no visitor bleachers). Extremely rural community with transportation hardships for those that live outside of Irvine.

I don’t know much about Estill County sports; that being said, 18 years is a good long run.

I do do remember the Engineers having a cup of coffee in the 10th basketball region.

I don’t mean to get off track of this thread but your post reminds me of a conversation I had with an Estill school official years ago.

They were happy to get out of the 10th and into the 14th back in 2006. Nothing against the 10th but the people I knew in the system at that time felt they had a better opportunity to compete in the 14th and last year proved it when they won the 14th region.

A school official told me once that one year they qualified for the region at Mason County and the tournament officials produced a pamphlet and write-up on all the teams. The section on Estill said, “Not much is known about Estill County.” Lol. He said they were located so far south in that region that they didn’t play any of the teams in the northern counties and the article was accurate. Which as far as location they’re not any better off in the 14th, along with Powell County they’re the farthest school located to the west, in their case northwest. But the competition is not as formidable as the 10th.

I don't know if Russ Swim would go after it or not. His boy will be a senior next season and I'm not sure if he would wanna continue coaching after that.

I think it will honestly come down to whoever wants it. Coach Moore has been with them ever since he graduated back in 06. The middle school coach is a possibility.

Depending on who it is, I can see Estill staying in house more than I can of them going out and finding someone.

I can confirm that it is indeed true.

Last time Estill was open before Mike came back, Berea's Aaron Stepp, Harrison County's Ray Graham had applied for the job before it was given to John Luttrell, before he could even begin to work with the team he had to give it up due to health issues, that's when Mike Jones came back to the helm.

Will be interesting to see where they go from here.

The word is Johnny Poynter is very interested in the job. Things aren't peachy with him and Bath co. Johhny would do a good job at Estill. It would cut his drive in half.

Poynter is kind of an enigma to me. He seems to float around a lot...works hard, seems fairly liked around the state...yet he still floats around a lot.