Class 5A Playoffs: Bowling Green at Owensboro

Who gets the W?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the W?

This is the first of, potentially, a few anticipated rematches from the regular season in 5A. On September 7th, BG (9-2) shutout the Red Devils in the second half to win 21-12. Owensboro's offense has been rolling ever since, averaging 43 ppg during their current seven game win streak. This is the fourth year in a row that these two have met twice in the same season. The last three playoff meetings have resulted in BG blowouts. In fact, Owensboro (9-2) hasn't beaten BG since 2008. Is this the year the Red Devils get that purple monkey off their back, or will Bowling Green maintain control of this rivalry?

Bowling Green has the talent to win!! However, their offensive and defensive line have got to play better. If they correct those problems they should win. My fear is they have not corrected the problems there and will make this game a lot closer and I give the edge to the home team in a real close one. I wouldn’t be surprised if BG pulled off the win though.

Bowling Green is the better team. However the Purples have not looked good since taking it on the chin in Indianapolis. They look out of whack. They don't seem to have that swagger about them and the they lack killer instinct. The OL can't move people, the DL has a big problem of getting worked up the middle and the offensive play calling has not helped them out either.

I really thought Bowling Green would have regrouped and been ready for a playoff run, but after last week it doesn't appear to be. Bowling Green didn't look too good against a very mediocre Christian County last week.

I mean they still won 29-7 and lead 29-0. But gone are the days of the 50 point blowouts. Bowling Green isn't quite as talented as it has been and a shift in offensive philosophy has changed that. Maybe they are just a team that has to grind it out.

But Bowling Green has some big issues on the offensive and defensive line. I think the offensive play calling has been lackluster in the last several weeks as well. There is a little too much stubbornness with trying to establish the run game, specifically running the ball up the middle. The Purples don't attack down field anymore for long pass plays. Maybe they can't. But the Ol and DL are major problems right now.

Rash Stadium is a hostel environment and will be a tough place to play. If Owensboro plays like they have been playing lately and BG plays like it has been playing, I believe the Purples will lose in the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

We are planning to make the trip, but I have terrible feeling about this game. At least we are stopping at Old Hickory.

I actually think Owensboro is the better team. I think they are playing really good football right now. I think those back to back losses to Owensboro Catholic and BG early in the season really helped their coaches identify some personnel issues at some positions and add some more run game to go with Will Warren and their passing attack. If they can contain Tisdale and keep their offense balanced in this one it wouldn't surprise me to see a 28-14 win in this one.

I believe I saw where BG had won 17 straight against Owensboro. If you had told me 50 years ago BG would EVER win 5 straight against Owensboro I would have said you were bat____ crazy. Never happen.

Sometime this streak will end. This appears to be Owensboro's best shot in quite some time.

Bowling Green has the talent to win!! However, their offensive and defensive line have got to play better. If they correct those problems they should win. My fear is they have not corrected the problems there and will make this game a lot closer and I give the edge to the home team in a real close one. I wouldn’t be surprised if BG pulled off the win though.

I agree 100% that Bowling Green has the talent to win........Owensboro has the talent to win also. That's why this game is so anticipated don't you think? These two teams haven't been this evenly matched in a long time. It's gonna be close but in the end I see the Devils getting the Purples off their back and pulling it out, but then again, I'm biased.

Im shocked there arent more folks talking about this one. I think is lining up to be one of the better round 2 games in the state. While you think of OHS and BG as big rivals, is hard to be a rivalry when its been so one sided lately. Owensboro hasnt beat Bowling Green in 10 years(13 straight meetings i believe). I do however, think the streak comes to an end of Friday.

I believe that the Devils have gotten better since the first time these 2 hooked up and im not sure that Bowling Green has. OHS's defense has been very good since the Owensboro Catholic defeat that forced them to change up their personnel. I look for the Devils DL to have a big impact on this game. On the offensive side, Owensboro brings a dangerous balance into this game. Tre Green has been the guy to bring that balance. If you try to focus to much on Owsley, Green has been able to make teams pay. Mix in Warren at QB, and i just think Owensboro will be to tough to stop this time around. The Devils biggest obstacle will be themselves. If they cant avoid the mental hurdle that is Bowling Green and make mistakes, thats the only way i see them losing this game.

Owensboro 27

Bowling Green 14

Uh. I’ll take Bowling Green by two possessions. It’s been a decade, I need to see it to believe it.

Friday night Rash stadium. Be there, you just may get your wish. Makes no difference how long it's been. This is the closest these two teams have been in a while. I believe it'll be close. This isn't the same Owensboro team that the Purples played earlier in the season and I don't think this is the same Bowling Green team either, from what I've been reading.

Im shocked there arent more folks talking about this one. I think is lining up to be one of the better round 2 games in the state. While you think of OHS and BG as big rivals, is hard to be a rivalry when its been so one sided lately. Owensboro hasnt beat Bowling Green in 10 years(13 straight meetings i believe). I do however, think the streak comes to an end of Friday.

I believe that the Devils have gotten better since the first time these 2 hooked up and im not sure that Bowling Green has. OHS's defense has been very good since the Owensboro Catholic defeat that forced them to change up their personnel. I look for the Devils DL to have a big impact on this game. On the offensive side, Owensboro brings a dangerous balance into this game. Tre Green has been the guy to bring that balance. If you try to focus to much on Owsley, Green has been able to make teams pay. Mix in Warren at QB, and i just think Owensboro will be to tough to stop this time around. The Devils biggest obstacle will be themselves. If they cant avoid the mental hurdle that is Bowling Green and make mistakes, thats the only way i see them losing this game.

Owensboro 27

Bowling Green 14

!7 straight, but who's counting? Seems like everyone is. Just because it's been awhile since Owensboro's won, don't think there isn't a rivalry there. Just look over on Parrish Ave. Ask Cathoilc if there's a rivalry with Mayfield. When was the last time they've beaten them (have they ever?) If I know the Aces and their fans, I am sure they'll say there is one.

Good to see that Tre Green is finally getting some credit for what's happening with the Owesnboro offense. The kid is a player. He can very easily be the difference maker. I agree wholeheartedly that Owensboro can be its' own worst enemy in this game, but the Purples aren't going to just show up and mail it in. They'll battle to the end and I would expect nothing less from them. I see the Devils pulling it out and ending the streak. Don't know if I'd be so ambitious to say 27-14, I'm thinking more like 27-21 or 21-14. It'll be close, should be interesting.

I'm pretty sure you would have to go back to 2000 to find the last time OHS won a playoff game at Rash against the Purples. This is not the 2000 Red Devil teams. Great OHS teams in '99 & '00 but my most vivid memories include the sabotage of the BGHS locker room by some OHS faithful prior to the Purples arrival. Some things are never forgotten. OHS has won very few times since that time. Maybe the football gods have a long memory. BGHS wins again.

Okay it's game day! We are planning to depart later this afternoon for a pregame meal at Old Hickory than head over to Rash. Thankfully it looks like the rain is not going to impact that game. It's been poring in Bowling Green all morning.

This should be a knock down drag out. Bowling Green has looked out of what for the last four weeks. I think they are the better team and more talented than Owensboro, but they just haven't been playing well.

The coaching staff needs to ease up a bit on the stubbornness of establishing the run game. I think they get too hung up on that philosophy and it hurts them at times. With the offensive line issues I really think they have to pass to setup the run against good defensive teams.

Bowling Green also needs to fix its issues in the middle of the defensive line. I think Owensboro can take a real advantage here if BG doesn't come up with a plan to fix that. Also BG seems to be vulnerable to over the middle pass plays. Owensboro hurt them with this at the earlier game this season as well a lot of other teams. They have to find a way to fix that as well.

I am going to predict a 28-21 win for Purples tonight, but I think it's 50/50 unless BG has found a way to improve.

First time these two met this season BG was coming off an emotional overtime win against their former coach. There was also a monsoon half that game as well. Which I think led to that game being closer than it should have been. Yes, Owensboro is on a great 7 game win streak, but they have only played two teams above .500 in that win streak. I know BG hasn't looked like the BG of old with dominant performances like everyone expects, but they are still beating the teams they should beat. I don't think O'boro has developed their talent to the level of the teams BG has lost to this year in this short time frame. Yes, Rash stadium is tough to play in, but BG has already came there once this year and won. Also, BG had a few lineman out that game against O'boro and started some freshmen on the line. With all that being said I look for BG to come out and take care of business this week.

BG 35 O'boro 14