George Rogers Clark 24 Boone County 12

oldgrappler

Final from Owen Hauck Stadium.

GRC is big. Their lineman are like trees and they have a RB who is a horse. They came out quickly and their offense looked like it was unstoppable. I believe it was 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter. Then the Boone defense started to gets its footing and get some stops. Its like GRC came out with a surge and scored quickly but either the offense tired or the Rebel defense figured out how to slow down the train. Boone got a chance to score just before the half and hit a short pass, Grau to RJ Summers, and Summers bulled his way into the end zone. The score was 21-6 at halftime.

Boone Co. had the ball to start the 2nd half but fumbled it away. GRC moved the ball but then the Rebels defense held and the Cardinals had to settle for a field goal to go up 24-6. Boone County made an adjustment at halftime and began to move the ball on offense. I like that they opened up the offense a bit allowing Grau to throw some down the field. He was accurate with his passes and threw a TD pass to Jante Wingo who made a diving catch in the end zone on a tipped ball. Grau threw a nice ball, the defender made a play but Wingo had great concentration and laid out for the catch. He was a little shook up from the play. Missed extra point made it 24-12. The score did not change until the final whistle.

GRC was big and determined to stop the run, which they did. There weren't too many times when a RB got past the line of scrimmage without contact. But Boone receivers were open all night. I think Boone County learned something tonight that they can use in future games. Shout out to Jake Woods who had a whale of a 2nd half on the D-line for Boone.