BluegrassPreps Central Kentucky Power Rankings 9-12-18 Week 4

PurplePride92

Another week is in the books and there really wasn’t much movement at all in this week’s rankings. For the most part the top 10 teams took care of business this week. Let’s jump in to this week’s rankings.

Top Ten:

1. Scott County(6A, 4-0) Scott County faced Ohio power Archbishop Moeller last Friday night and escaped with a 10-7 victory. This victory has solidified Scott County not only as the #1 team in Central Kentucky but also as one of the top 3 teams overall in the state of Kentucky. Running back Austin Barnett carried the ball for 193 yards and 1 touchdown as Scott County now sets their sights on another strong Ohio team, LaSalle out of Cincinnati. They will face them at home on Friday night.

2. Frederick Douglass(6A, 4-0) Frederick Douglass defeated Lafayette 43-0 last weekend and Demarco Fishback put on a show once again. With 222 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns, Fishback is showing that he and Cameron Jones are a deadly duo. Wide receiver Haiden Hunt had a big game also as he had 129 yards receiving and a touchdown. Cameron Jones threw his first three interceptions of the season but he still had 214 yards passing with 2 touchdowns. No longer the new kids on the block, the entire state is now taking notice of the Frederick Douglass Stallions. Next up for Frederick Douglass is their best challenge to date, Madison Central.

3. Boyle County(3A, 4-0) Boyle County destroyed 4A top ten mainstay, Wayne County, 48-7 last Friday night. This was a running clock game and a likely theme for Boyle County as this season continues. Reed Lanter passed for 233 yards and 3 touchdowns. Reese Smith had 83 yards receiving and a touchdown. Landen Bartleson has 56 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns on 7 carries but the big story was Tanner Crawford returning to the field and rushing for 45 yards and a touchdown on 9 carries. With Crawford back I expect this Boyle County offense to go to another level. Next up for Boyle County will be Collins at home.

4. Lexington Catholic(3A, 4-0) Another Friday, another Lexington Catholic beatdown through the air. Beau Allen and his arm went for 362 yards, 5 touchdowns and an interception as Lexington Catholic made short work of Lexington Christian by the score of 54-13. Wide receiver Tommy Knopp had an eye popping 206 yards and 2 touchdowns on 9 receptions. Nathan Schnurr added 96 yards and 2 touchdowns on 3 receptions. The next challenge for Lexington Catholic, the Central Kentucky Game of the Week this week....Highlands Bluebirds at Lexington Catholic.

5. Anderson County(5A, 4-0) Anderson County remains at #5 this week as they defeated Valley 45-7 last week. Charles Collins appears to be the next man up in place of the injured Zach Labhart as Collins ran for 132 yards and 3 touchdowns and also had 2 receptions for 65 yards. On the season Collins has rushed for 389 yards and 7 touchdowns and also has 205 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns. Anderson County looks to remain undefeated this week as they will take on their rival, Franklin County, at home this week.

6. Madison Central(6A, 3-1) Madison Central has their way with crosstown rival, Madison Southern, last week as they won by the score of 47-15. Freddy Chenault ran for 163 yards and 4 touchdowns as Madison Central cruised to victory. A much tougher challenge lies ahead this week as Madison Central will host newly minted 6A power, Frederick Douglass, in a district game that will determine playoff seedings in November.

7. Franklin County(4A, 3-0) Franklin County had their BYE week last week as they prepare to take on Anderson County this week. Anderson County won this game 46-13 last season so we will find out soon enough if Franklin County is able to exact revenge on Anderson County for last year’s loss.

8. Montgomery County(5A, 3-1) Montgomery County escaped George Rogers Clark last week with a 31-28 victory over their heated rival. This game was last week’s Game of the Week and by all accounts it lived up to expectations. No stats are available for Montgomery County so it is hard to see how they won but they did get the job done and that is all that matters. Montgomery County moves up a spot despite that blemish on their record. Montgomery County travels to Fleming County this Friday.

9. Danville(2A, 1-3) I mentioned last week that #7 was probably the lowest we would see Danville ranked the rest of the season in the Central Kentucky Power Rankings. Well, I was wrong. Danville laid an egg against a winnable Pulaski County team and conventional wisdom points to a Corbin/Boyle County hangover. I’ll buy that theory but I can’t hold Danville at #7 because of that theory. Danville will face Waggener this week in what could be another shootout like last year’s 49-46 Danville Admiral victory. It should be a fun one.

10. George Rogers Clark(6A, 2-2) George Rogers Clark dropped a heartbreaker to Montgomery County last week, 31-28. On the heels of Nitavius Thomas and his 213 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns the Cardinals did everything they could to win this game but fell a little short. George Rogers Clark will face Grant County next as they prepare themselves for what is going to be a tough road to travel in 6A District 8.

Teams on the Rise:

Lincoln County(5A, 3-1) Lincoln County won once again to move to 3-1 on the season. Lincoln County defeated East Jessamine 38-28 last week. They will face Mercer County this week at Mercer County.

Last Week’s Game of the Week results:

Montgomery County 31

George Rogers Clark 28

In what was a thrilling rivalry game between these two heated rivals, Montgomery County comes away with the victory. By all accounts both teams played pretty good but in the end Montgomery County did what they needed to do to seal the victory. Nitavius Thomas of George Rogers Clark ran wild on Montgomery County for 213 yards and 4 touchdowns but it wasn’t enough to pull out the victory.

Game of the Week:

Highlands at Lexington Catholic. Highlands has once again made the Game of the Week in Central Kentucky as they travel to Lexington to take on the Knights of Lexington Catholic. This is a huge game for both teams as Highlands is trying to prove their worth and quite frankly, Lexington Catholic is too. A friendly schedule has allowed Lexington Catholic to rack up an insane amount of points and Beau Allen is putting up insane stats as the QB1 for Lexington Catholic. With 1426 yards passing and 19 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, Beau has not only established himself as one of the best QBs in the Central Kentucky area but he is one of the best in the entire state. All eyes in Fort Thomas will be watching this game and all eyes in Central Kentucky should be on this game as well. Learning about both of these teams will take place Friday evening.

Wandale Robinson Watch:

Last week vs. Bath County

248 yards rushing 2 touchdowns

12 total tackles

Yearly stats to date:

571 yards rushing 6 touchdowns

196 yards receiving 3 touchdowns

28 total tackles

1 interception

1 punt return touchdown

10 total touchdowns

Player of the Week:

Tommy Knopp-Lexington Catholic-Wide Receiver

9 receptions, 206 yards, 2 touchdowns

Top Performers:

Beau Allen-Lexington Catholic-362 yards passing, 5 touchdowns, 1 interception

Demarco Fishback-Frederick Douglass-222 yards rushing, 3 touchdowns

Nitavius Thomas-George Rogers Clark-213 yards rushing, 4 touchdowns

Austin Barnett-Scott County-193 yards rushing, 1 touchdown

Charles Collins-Anderson County-132 yards rushing, 65 yards receiving, 3 touchdowns

Great stuff as usual, PP92!

Beau Allen appears to have taken his game to the next level. He's been scary good so far this year. Of course, the ultimate measuring stick for him and LexCath will be Boyle County, but the Knights are playing extremely well under new coach Nigel Smith. Looking forward to watching them square off with Highlands this Friday on @PrepSpin.

There has to be another team in CKY better than Clark Co. I think Henry Clay is a lot better. Probably someone else I'm not thinking of as well.

I’d say you are probably right but I didn’t feel like GRC losing to Montgomery County warranted them being dismissed from the top ten. Every time I put Lexington school into the top ten they lose to schools from a lower classification. I’ve been on the Henry Clay train for a while. Lafayette might be better than GRC also. Hard to tell when they keep losing. I do think GRC is going to have some problems here shortly so as time goes I can see Henry Clay making their way back to the top ten.