NFL Officiating

TTS_JF

The quarterbacks might as well wear the red practice jerseys to keep defenders from making contact. I've watched several games over the weekend and the roughing calls are just ridiculous. The call in Dunlap yesterday was terrible, and pretty much the same just happened in the Raiders game.

I'm all for protecting guys but this has gone to far.

This is why I'm watching less and less of the NFL. It's hard to enjoy when you don't know \ understand the rules. Almost every time there is a replay, I think it is going to be called A and it gets called B. What is a catch? What is a fumble? What is a good tackle versus a 'bad' tackle? When does crossing the goal line result in a TD and when doesn't it? The way I see it, the refs are the biggest determination of the winner of the games - not the players or coaches. I'm watching less and less.

I do not blame the refs. They are doing the best they can to enforce ambiguous rules with guys that continue to get bigger and faster. They get their marching orders from above. As a whole, I do dislike the fact rules are slanted towards the offensive side of the ball, making it nearly impossible to defend... especially down field.

This is why I'm watching less and less of the NFL. It's hard to enjoy when you don't know \ understand the rules. Almost every time there is a replay, I think it is going to be called A and it gets called B. What is a catch? What is a fumble? What is a good tackle versus a 'bad' tackle? When does crossing the goal line result in a TD and when doesn't it? The way I see it, the refs are the biggest determination of the winner of the games - not the players or coaches. I'm watching less and less.

I get the frustration with the hits in the QB. Defenders are going to have to learn new habits and adjust to the rule. But they’ll adjust and this likely won’t be talked about as much as time moves on. It’s too soon for me to say how I feel about the new catch rule, but it’s got to better than the old one. Your other complaints though, about fumbles and TD’s don’t bother me at all. Those rules are pretty clear, and Especially concerning TD’s, I haven’t seen where they ever in the end, get the call wrong.

It's impossible to play defense in college and pro football anymore. It's a shame, really.

I'm with you, might as well add PI to the list of calls that are at best inconsistent. I hate that early in a game they allow contact and in the fourth quarter if you breathe on a receiver its PI, drives me nuts. Every year I watch less NFL than the year before.

I'm with you, might as well add PI to the list of calls that are at best inconsistent. I hate that early in a game they allow contact and in the fourth quarter if you breathe on a receiver its PI, drives me nuts. Every year I watch less NFL than the year before.

Agree on this one as well, the penalties kill the flow of the game along with viewers not being able to know what the calls should be one way or the other.

Consistency within the same is a problem. AD was hit in the head twice Sunday and nothing was called. I get consistency between different referees is difficult, but not the same ref. If a ref is consistent with their calls then it is up to the players to adjust. When they are not, then it gets very frustrating.

Consistency within the same is a problem. AD was hit in the head twice Sunday and nothing was called. I get consistency between different referees is difficult, but not the same ref. If a ref is consistent with their calls then it is up to the players to adjust. When they are not, then it gets very frustrating.

Yeah, especially when there are two officials in the backfield. No excuse for both of those to be missed. Luck got breathed on and a flag was thrown.