BluegrassPreps.com Mr. Football Watchlist (8/29)

Quarterbacks

Zach Thornton, Danville

Week 1: 9 of 23 for 79 yards and 2 ints. in a 28-10 loss to Corbin

Season to date: 14 of 34 for 133 yards and 2 ints. ; 20 carries for 94 yards and a TD

Stock: DOWN

Thornton's case for staying in contention took a serious hit versus Corbin. As most thought, overcoming the losses of VanCleave and Walker has proven quite the challenge. He'll need a superhuman effort against Boyle County to stay on the watchlist.

Beau Buchanan, Bowling Green

Week 1: 18 of 27 for 306 yards and 2 TDs/1 int. in a 44-7 win vs. Pleasure Ridge Park

Season to date: 44 of 66 for 547 yards and 2 TDs/1 int.

Stock:

After struggling to finish drives against Central Hardin in Week 0, the Purples made big strides in that department vs. Pleasure Ridge Park. Following an interception on their first drive, Buchanan calmly picked PRP’s defense apart.

Joey Cambron, Daviess County

Week 1: 10 of 29 for 78 yards and 1 TD/3 ints. in a 49-13 loss to Evansville Central (IN)

Season to date: 34 of 69 for 388 yards and 6 TDs/5 ints.

Cambron had by far the worst outing of his career against a very good Evansville Central squad. Despite the level of opposition, you expect more from a legitimate Mr. Football candidate. This marked the first time Cambron failed to reach 200 yards passing in a game.

Gavin Spurrier, South Warren

Week 1: 12 of 12 for 138 yards and 3 TDs in a 39-22 win over Warren Central

Season to date: 21 of 26 for 308 yards and 4 TDs

Stock:

For the second consecutive week to start the season, Spurrier didn't have to break much of a sweat in a lopsided Spartans win. For that reason, his stock didn't budge. A great game this week vs. Franklin Simpson could certainly change that.

Warren Central High School - Gavin Spurrier highlights - Hudl

Braxton Ratliff, Ashland

Week 1: 10 of 18 for 281 yards and 2 TDs/2 ints. in a 21-14 win over Raceland

Season to date: 19 of 30 for 492 yards and 6 TDs/2 ints.

Stock:

The Tomcats have been living by the big play so far, and Ratliff has had a hand in most of them. Against Raceland, he connected with Cade Brandt (who's starting to trend up as a watchlist candidate himself) on an Ashland record 99 yard touchdown pass.

Raceland High School - Braxton Ratliff highlights - Hudl

Jaden Stinson, Mayfield

Week 1: 8 of 19 for 129 yards and a TD in a 35-7 win over Hopkinsville

Season to date: 17 of 33 for 350 yards and 5 TDs/0 ints.

Stock:

Stinson wasn't at his best, but he was good enough to pilot his Cardinals to an impressive win over Hoptown.

Chase Estep, Corbin

Week 1: 15 of 24 for 254 yards and 2 TDs/1 int. ; 20 carries for 168 yards and a TD in a 28-10 win over Danville

Season to date: 25 of 38 for 416 yards and 5 TDs/1 int. ; 22 carries for 198 yards and 2 TDs

Stock: UP

Estep continued his upward trajectory with 422 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in a high profile match-up of highly ranked teams. His transition to quarterback has gone very, very smoothly, to say the least.

Recap: Corbin vs. Danville 218 - Corbin High School highlights - Hudl

Running Backs

Wandale Robinson, Western Hills

Week 1: 7 carries for 108 yards and 2 TDs ; 3 catches for 121 yards and 2 TDs ; 63 yard punt return TD in a 50-15 win vs. Estill County

Season to date: 34 carries for 323 yards and 4 TDs ; 4 catches for 196 yards and 3 TDs

Robinson wasn't a complete one man show vs. Estill County, but he wasn't far off. His offense gets so much love, that his defensive contributions often get overlooked. But not this week. On top of his 200+ yards from scrimmage and 5 total TDs, he tallied a team high 11 tackles and picked off his first pass of the season.

Estill County - Wandale Robinson highlights - Hudl

Casey McGinness, Covington Catholic

Week 1: 16 carries for 136 yards and a TD in a 41-0 win over Henry Clay

Season to date: 29 carries for 254 yards and 5 TDs

Stock:

Two games, two excellent showings by #2. CovCath can hurt you in so many ways that McGinness doesn't touch the ball as much as he would on 98% of the other teams in the state. Plus, the Blue Colonels are putting teams away so quickly that McGinness isn't seeing the ball much, if at all, in the 2nd half.

Henry Clay High School - Casey McGinness highlights - Hudl

Tre’ Bass, Franklin Simpson

Week 1: 5 carries for 63 yards and 3 TDs in a 57-7 win over Monroe County

Season to date: 21 carries for 273 yards and 5 TDs

Stock:

Bass’ carries and yards came way down in Week 1, but we won't hold that against him. Franklin Simpson overwhelmed Monroe County right from the get go, and there's no sense in risking injury by leaving him in the game to pad his numbers.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2ADcmP

Aidan Robbins, Manual

Week 1: 19 carries for 62 yards and 4 TDs in a 33-13 win over Fern Creek

Season to date: 36 carries for 112 yards and 4 TDs

Stock:

Robbins clings to the watchlist on the strength of a 4 TD game last week. But it wasn't the type of explosive performance that would raise his stock.

Jayden Neace, Perry County Central

Week 1: 31 carries for 443 yards and 7 TDs in a 54-39 win over Breathitt County

Season to date: 48 carries for 603 yards and 12 TDs

The initial numbers placed Neace's single game mark at 6th all time in state history. Turns out, those were a little generous - his 443 yards rank him 10th. But does it really matter? His outing versus Breathitt County won't soon be forgotten and will live on in mountain football lore. Games like this are not uncharacteristic for Neace. He ran for over 300 yards as a sophomore against Harlan County and has amassed over 4,000 yards for his career.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AEGLS

Wide Receivers

Demontae Crumes, Butler

Week 1: 5 catches for 167 yards and a TD in a 35-34 loss to DeSales

Season to date: 7 catches for 241 yards and 2 TDs

The Bears were stunned on a last second heave to the endzone by DeSales, but Crumes more than did his part. He got loose again for another long TD reception, this time for 65 yards.

JP Vaught, Southwestern

Week 1: 3 catches for 30 yards in a 28-7 win over Dunbar

Season to date: 7 catches for 142 yards and a TD

An injury to starting quarterback Drew Sawyers forced Vaught to move behind center for the Warriors. But prior to the position switch, Dunbar had done a fine job of keeping him bottled up.

Linemen

Bryan Hudson, Scott County

Week 1: Scott County rushed for 601 yards on 78 rushes in a 58-28 win over Lafayette

Season to date : The Cardinals are averaging 438 ypg rushing and 57 ppg

Scott County once again turned in a dominant rushing display, running over, around, and through Lafayette. Hudson made his presence felt on defense as well, posting 5 tackles (3 TFL) and a sack.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2ADfST

Tanner Bowles, Glasgow

Week 1: Glasgow rushed for 275 yards on 45 rushes in a 19-7 win over Bardstown

Season to date: The Scotties are averaging 303 ypg rushing

Stock:

The run game was strong again in a closer-than-expected victory over Bardstown.

Athletes

Milton Wright, Christian Academy of Louisville

Week 1: 1 catch for 7 yards ; 4 tackles ; kick return TD in a 50-7 win over Eastern

Season to date: 6 catches for 115 yards and 2 TDs ; 15 tackles ; kick return TD

Stock:

CAL's complete and utter domination of Eastern meant a breezy night's work for Wright. He did, however, find time to squeeze in a score on a kick return.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AENdi

Logan Castleman, Beechwood

Week 1: 16 carries for 170 yards and 2 TDs in a 42-8 win over Lloyd

Castleman didn't wait long to take advantage of his increased role in the Tigers’ running game. The trio of Castleman, Derry, and Hergott will make for a three headed monster. Only time will tell if games like this will be the norm, or if sharing carries with an athletic QB and a bruising, north-south runner will cut into his offensive production some/most weeks.

Langston Jackson, Henry Clay

Week 1: 4 catches for 29 yards ; 1 carry for -5 yards ; 3 tackles in a 41-0 loss to Covington Catholic

Season to date: 6 catches for 180 yards and 2 TDs ; 7 carries for 39 yards ; 3 tackles ; 1 pick-six

A week after torching Tates Creek for nearly 200 yards from scrimmage and 3 TDs (including a pick-six), Jackson was silenced by a CovCath defense that looked to be in mid-season form. He appeared to pick up where he left off in Week 0 by breaking free for a long TD reception versus the Colonels. But alas, it was called back.

Are there any kind of parameters for what makes stocks go up, down, or maintain?

Not really. It's more of a "feel" thing. Performance relative to the quality of opponent definitely plays a factor, though. Determining Buchanan's stock this week was tricky. If he can duplicate that type of game in a win over St. X this weekend, his stock will definitely go up

I'd be shocked if there were a better defensive end in Kentucky than Stephen Herron. I understand that position wouldn't be a "sexy" pick for this award, but that kid is without question one of the best football players in the state.

So much of these things end up being about numbers. For me, a skill player's impressive numbers on a team that spreads it around tells me that a guy is really producing. Also, if a skill player's team is blowing out opponents such that he is sitting most of the second half or working with a running clock, big numbers are all that more impressive.

I saw some clips of the Herron kid at Trinity. He's unbelievable, and I think needs to be added to the lineman list. In fact, DL should be its own category.

My son played against Tanner Bowles this week. He held his own, but Bowles is a really good offensive lineman, worthy of this list. Nick Saban knows what he is doing.

I'd be shocked if there were a better defensive end in Kentucky than Stephen Herron. I understand that position wouldn't be a "sexy" pick for this award, but that kid is without question one of the best football players in the state.

I saw some clips of the Herron kid at Trinity. He's unbelievable, and I think needs to be added to the lineman list. In fact, DL should be its own category. [/Quote]

Trinity hasn't been very accommodating in regards to posting defensive numbers. I've got to have something to offer as evidence to justify his inclusion on the list. He was on the watchlist the first two weeks, but I dropped him this week for lack of anything to post. Plus, I can't really point to team success because the Rocks are 0-2 and a Herron led defense just gave up 42 points, albeit to a great opponent, but still.

Trinity hasn't been very accommodating in regards to posting defensive numbers. I've got to have something to offer as evidence to justify his inclusion on the list. He was on the watchlist the first two weeks, but I dropped him this week for lack of anything to post. Plus, I can't really point to team success because the Rocks are 0-2 and a Herron led defense just gave up 42 points, albeit to a great opponent, but still.

FWIW, my post wasn't necessarily directed at you or your list, just a general statement really.