Central 20 Scott County 14 (Scrimmage)

I think Central is the only team in 3A that can match up at almost every position against Boyle County. They will be very good. I know there are lots of unknowns about scrimmages but this is a very good performance by Central and not necessarily a knock on Scott County, either.

Coach Dantzler faces a big start to the season against Manual next Friday, a team the Yellowjackets beat last year which is going to be better this year. I don't know who Scott County had back but if I recall correctly they run a wishbone offense really well and I thought St. X was fortunate that they made some early mistakes in the playoff game last year and basically spotted the Tigers two touchdowns. Afterwards I thought Scott County was too hasty trying to come back. I think they went for it on fourth down a little far from the end zone once too soon and St. X capitalized on that as well. They matched the Tigers score for score after the first quarter if memory serves me--that offense was effective whether it was a wishbone or something else. Central has several players you would want to get the ball out in space because they are speedy and shifty on one side and speed on D which might be great for playing against an option running offense but Scott County is surely hard to prepare for. Dantzler won consistently for four years running a program in Oklahoma. I think he is under 40 years old and left a Louisiana job after one year to take the Central job last year. That Manual game looks very interesting because Coach Carmony is starting to get some depth and quality on his roster. Finally, if I am not mistaken this year will be the 70th anniversary of the first football game between Central and St. X in 1948 which was kind of a milestone in the desegregation of KY athletics I think. That would have been Coach Meihaus' first year as head coach too.

I think Central is the only team in 3A that can match up at almost every position against Boyle County. They will be very good. I know there are lots of unknowns about scrimmages but this is a very good performance by Central and not necessarily a knock on Scott County, either.

I agree

They may also be the only team who can match athleticism at the skill spots