Thanks, Mother Nature!

CincySportsFan

Other than the hassle of getting it fixed, why does it suck? It's free to fix in Kentucky.

Three states — Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina — waive the deductible for windshield replacement and repairs as part of comprehensive coverage as mandated by state law because driving with a damaged windshield is dangerous. They are called “zero deductible” states.

Other than the hassle of getting it fixed, why does it suck? It's free to fix in Kentucky.

Three states — Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina — waive the deductible for windshield replacement and repairs as part of comprehensive coverage as mandated by state law because driving with a damaged windshield is dangerous. They are called “zero deductible” states.

A few years back, was it not counted against you for filing a windshield claim? I was told by the latest auto insurance company I left recently they consider it a claim or their now new favorite word "incident"(if they don't pay out) and those are indeed used when estimating your renewal rates.

A few years back, was it not counted against you for filing a windshield claim? I was told by the latest auto insurance company I left recently they consider it a claim or their now new favorite word "incident"(if they don't pay out) and those are indeed used when estimating your renewal rates.

I was always told it was still a claim.

Cheaper to just pay for the windshield.

I was always told it was still a claim.

Cheaper to just pay for the windshield.

That's how I've been handling it. I just thought years ago a windshield replacement wasn't counted against you as an official "claim". It's a doggone shame to pay the premiums we pay and then be afraid to utilize what you're paying for.

I have a $2000 deductible for what it is worth.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but cheap insurance is not always cheap. Bad service (especially in the area of claims) can cost you more in the end with cheap insurance. I use a trusted independent insurance agent who is always looking to get me the best deal based on my situation (age, vehicles, home, travel, etc.). He "shops" my renewals at the end of every term. I happen to be in the insurance industry (information technology), but I don't necessarily know how each company rates its policies and how claims affect future terms (that's his job). In the case of windshield damage, I know that a $500 or a $2000 deductible makes no difference in the state of Kentucky. It's all paid for under law. If you, in fact, know that your rates go up for something like this, I'd show that insurance company the door. That's why you have insurance in the first place. It's not like you are making it a habit to be in accidents! In this case, it was "Mother Nature"! You shouldn't be afraid to make a claim.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but cheap insurance is not always cheap. Bad service (especially in the area of claims) can cost you more in the end with cheap insurance. I use a trusted independent insurance agent who is always looking to get me the best deal based on my situation (age, vehicles, home, travel, etc.). He "shops" my renewals at the end of every term. I happen to be in the insurance industry (information technology), but I don't necessarily know how each company rates its policies and how claims affect future terms (that's his job). In the case of windshield damage, I know that a $500 or a $2000 deductible makes no difference in the state of Kentucky. It's all paid for under law. If you, in fact, know that your rates go up for something like this, I'd show that insurance company the door. That's why you have insurance in the first place. It's not like you are making it a habit to be in accidents! In this case, it was "Mother Nature"! You shouldn't be afraid to make a claim.

All fair points, I have all my insurance tied into one company, both personal and some business things as well (been this way for 22 plus years with the same company). The only insurance companies that beat (premium pay wise) what I pay now are ones I have never heard of. I have a high deductible because, I never have a need to use my insurance. Ive only ever used my vehicle insurance once and that was in 2003.

To your point, whats it cost to replace a windshield $500 or so...not worth even dealing with the insurance company for that.

For what it's worth...we only have liability insurance on that truck (it's 16 years old...210,000+ miles). If it had happened to any of the other two vehicles, which we do have full coverage on, then I definitely would've turned it into insurance. Have had to replace two other windshields over the past 20 years or so, and have never noticed an increase in rates due to those two instances.

As to the cost...it's going to be $275 for Jack's to come out and put a new one in.

For what it's worth...we only have liability insurance on that truck (it's 16 years old...210,000+ miles). If it had happened to any of the other two vehicles, which we do have full coverage on, then I definitely would've turned it into insurance. Have had to replace two other windshields over the past 20 years or so, and have never noticed an increase in rates due to those two instances.

As to the cost...it's going to be $275 for Jack's to come out and put a new one in.

Like I said, thats not an amount big enough to even fool with the hassle of insurance claim.

All fair points, I have all my insurance tied into one company, both personal and some business things as well (been this way for 22 plus years with the same company). The only insurance companies that beat (premium pay wise) what I pay now are ones I have never heard of. I have a high deductible because, I never have a need to use my insurance. Ive only ever used my vehicle insurance once and that was in 2003.

To your point, whats it cost to replace a windshield $500 or so...not worth even dealing with the insurance company for that.

I got mine replaced for "free" a few months ago. Took me 10 minutes to set it all up start to finish so easily worth not paying $500. Also it doesn't cost $500 its more like $250-300.