BluegrassPreps Class 4A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Class 4A

Johnson Central was humbled in a re-match with Franklin-Simpson and has had all off-season to flashback visions of the Wildcats' speed and big play ability. Franklin-Simpson will get straight to work on their repeat bid against the always well coached Elizabethtown Panthers while Matney's Golden Eagles bide their time. Three different teams in the back half of the Top 10 all open with tough draws, most notably Hopkinsville testing their high expectations against a stout South Warren team. Though Ashland does not see a number next to Harlan County's name, this could be a game to watch as the Black Bears were a 5A Semi-Finalist and handed the Tomcats a big loss in last year's opener.

1. Johnson Central -- OPEN

2. Franklin-Simpson at 3A #6 Elizabethtown

3. Ashland vs. 5A Harlan County (8/18)

4. Knox Central vs. 5A Letcher County Central

5. Hopkinsville vs. 5A #3 South Warren

6. Wayne County vs. 6A #7 Frederick Douglass at Danville (8/18)

7. Logan County vs. 2A Butler County

8. Madisonville North-Hopkins at 5A #8 Owensboro

9. Greenup County at 3A Lewis County

10. Scott at 2A #6 Newport Central Catholic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logan Co. is the team to watch this year. After years of losing, they came out of the gates winning their first 11 in a row. Now this season, they have another year in their system and return a lot of starters.

Their ability to own the trenches is going to be their bread and butter this year. Their lines on both sides of the ball are so strong and that will keep them competitive with anyone they play.

Logan County is not going to surprise as many people this year as they did last year. Both Hoptown and Madisonville will be gunning for them this year. The good news is Madisonville is coming to Logan. The bad news is Logan County is going to have play Hoptown at Hoptown with Craig Clayton whipping the Tigers into a frenzy after losing the district title to the Cougars last year. If the Cougars can repeat last year's success this year, Todd Adler should be a strong candidate for Coach of the Year in all classes.

Big difference between this poll and the Herald Leader. Both have JC and FS 1 and 2 but Herald Leader has Collins and Rockcastle 4 & 6 and they aren't in the BG top 10. Probably hard to gauge pre season high school football polls with graduation and new players coming in.

Big difference between this poll and the Herald Leader. Both have JC and FS 1 and 2 but Herald Leader has Collins and Rockcastle 4 & 6 and they aren't in the BG top 10. Probably hard to gauge pre season high school football polls with graduation and new players coming in.

I genuinely don't see how Collins could be rated that highly with what they lost. JR Lucas was their only player who attempted a pass AND their leading rusher by over 500 yards. I know it takes sacks into account as well, but Lucas had more rushing attempts than every other player on the team COMBINED. Lost Stucker as well, leaving Anthony Bradford (78 carries + 2 receptions) and Sicari Toole (36 receptions) as the only returning offensive weapons who touched the ball more than 30 times. The line helps. Having another Lucas to hand the reins to is probably going to be good as well, but even JR wasn't prolific as a sophomore. I just don't see how they could be rated in the top five preseason without seeing how they adjust to life without JR Lucas.

I genuinely don't see how Collins could be rated that highly with what they lost. JR Lucas was their only player who attempted a pass AND their leading rusher by over 500 yards. I know it takes sacks into account as well, but Lucas had more rushing attempts than every other player on the team COMBINED. Lost Stucker as well, leaving Anthony Bradford (78 carries + 2 receptions) and Sicari Toole (36 receptions) as the only returning offensive weapons who touched the ball more than 30 times. The line helps. Having another Lucas to hand the reins to is probably going to be good as well, but even JR wasn't prolific as a sophomore. I just don't see how they could be rated in the top five preseason without seeing how they adjust to life without JR Lucas.

Plus, you've got to keep in mind that the polls released so far by the Herald Leader are coaches polls. I doubt many of the people involved in casting these votes have put in the work it takes to truly evaluate the whole class.

Hot Take - Ashland will be better than JC this season.

Is this an educated take based on what you've seen from Ashland? Because I'm of the mind that Johnson Central will be better than they were last year. Ashland could be too, but Aroq did a lot damage against JC last year, and he's moved on.

Knox Central ranked higher than Wayne Co. surprises me.

Wayne County has been a stalwart program in this class over the past few years and Thompson is a great coach. But they lose quite a bit from last year, namely Linsey, Ruiz, and Simpson. Weaver returns after a great year at WR, but indications are that he might slide over to QB. That would leave the WR position completely depleted. They also lose the majority of their top tacklers on defense. The fact that they're ranked as high as they are is a testament to the program that Thompson has built there.

Knox Central on the other hand, returns the bulk of its offense, minus Jermel Carton. Plus, they get back several of their top guys on defense, including leading tackler Holland at LB, Turner (over 100 tackles) on the D-line and three of four in the secondary. This has all the makings of a breakthrough year for the Panthers.