BluegrassPreps Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Class 2A

Many coaches subscribe to the theory of opening the season with a winnable game. Get your feet under you and then focus on bigger and badder foes once you find your rhythm. That obviously is not the approach of the Pre-Season Top 3 teams in Class 2A as Mayfield, Christian Academy- Louisville, and DeSales all open with headliner games against teams who will enter Top 5 in their respective classes. Newport Central Catholic will also follow suit with a tough opener in their new Head Coach's debut. Owensboro Catholic is perhaps the Top 10 2A team with the most questions, a very underrated 6A Daviess County will be the ideal opponent to act as a measuring stick out of the gates.

1. Mayfield vs. Union City (TN)

2. Christian Academy of Louisville at 5A #4 South Oldham

3. DeSales vs. 6A #2 St. Xavier

4. Danville vs. 5A Woodford County (8/18)

5. Glasgow vs. 1A Russellville

6. Newport Central Catholic vs. 4A #10 Scott

7. Owensboro Catholic at 6A Daviess County

8. Lloyd vs. 4A East Jessamine at West Jessamine

9. Somerset at 5A Lincoln County

10. Monroe County vs. 3A Trigg County at Glasgow

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like Danville should be ranked #1 if Covington Catholic is ranked #1.

What is your reasoning behind that statement?

I don't think Covington Catholic is ranked #1 strictly because of last season's results. Covington Catholic has multiple D1 players in this year's returning lineup. They are loaded with talent. That is why they are ranked #1.

No 5A team was within 4 TDs of Covington Catholic last season

The same could not be said of Danville and the rest of 2A

5A wasn’t good at all last year so we shouldn’t overblow those results. But at the same time Danville dominated every opponent in the playoffs. That doesn’t count for anything for them but it does for CovCath because of the final score?

What is your reasoning behind that statement?

I don't think Covington Catholic is ranked #1 strictly because of last season's results. Covington Catholic has multiple D1 players in this year's returning lineup. They are loaded with talent. That is why they are ranked #1.

Having multiple D1 players on the team doesn’t mean anything. Ask any 6A public school in Louisville. What is the most important position in HS football?

Having multiple D1 players on the team doesn’t mean anything. Ask any 6A public school in Louisville. What is the most important position in HS football?

True that.

Question for you. Which is a bigger, more impactful loss? AJ Mayer off of Covington Catholic or Dmauriae VanCleave off of Danville?

Another year, another same top 3 or 4. Next year will look much different when CAL and Desales move up. If Owensboro Catholic can survive their brutal first 3 games without injuries, they'll be on cruise control until South Warren at the end of the season.

AJ Mayer and it isn’t even close. That’s a great question though.

I think it is closer than you do. I think the loss of VanCleave is huge for Danville. I don't think Danville wins the 2A title last year without VanCleave. I think Covington Catholic does wins the 5A title without AJ Mayer.

Do you think Danville wins the title last year without VanCleave? Please try to be unbiased in that answer.

I'm not sure Danville goes undefeated without VanCleave, but I do think they still have a great shot at the title.

I think it is closer than you do. I think the loss of VanCleave is huge for Danville. I don't think Danville wins the 2A title last year without VanCleave. I think Covington Catholic does wins the 5A title without AJ Mayer.

That’s interesting. I think Danville still wins without VanCleave but I do think that CovCath still wins without Mayer last year but that is largely because 5A was so down last year. I think BG and SW will both be better this year than they were last year and SW is still my pick to win 5A this year.

David Walker was a WR for Danville and he had a better junior year than senior year. Take VanCleave off the team last year and I guarantee that David Walker has insane numbers last season. Danville has athletes for days.

The thing about Danville is that Zach Thornton played a large part for their success. VanCleave was a dynamic player but I feel like his production can be replaced. His value may not be replaced but with the raw talent and athletes that Danville has along with the return of Zach Thornton I don’t expect Danville’s offense to suffer much. I’m more concerned with them replacing Don Harris at RB than VanCleave at WR.

I’ll say this also.....Zach Thornton should be a Mr. Football candidate.