Trade Iglesias? Why?

I keep hearing talk about trading Raisel Iglesias. I hear people saying the Reds should trade Iglesias. Why? He is a proven, excellent closer. He is under Reds control for I believe 3 more years. If the Reds trade Iglesias, it says to me that the Reds don't think they will be able to compete for the playoffs for the next three years, the time they have control of Iglesias. If the Reds think they can compete in the next three years they should keep Iglesias.

I keep hearing talk about trading Raisel Iglesias. I hear people saying the Reds should trade Iglesias. Why? He is a proven, excellent closer. He is under Reds control for I believe 3 more years. If the Reds trade Iglesias, it says to me that the Reds don't think they will be able to compete for the playoffs for the next three years, the time they have control of Iglesias. If the Reds think they can compete in the next three years they should keep Iglesias.

Agree 100%

I don't think they SHOULD trade him, but it sounds like they are doing the right thing and if they are blown away they would trade him. He's under control for 3 years a very affordable salary compared to other top tier closers. Simply put I think closers are over rated and if you can fill other positions of need I think it's easier to replace a closer.

Sure, if someone makes an offer you can't refuse you take it. That is true for anyone on the roster. Trading Iglesias seems opposite of the plan if the plan is to compete in the next couple years.

In general, I am opposed to trading any quality player the Reds have control of until the year before free agency. If you keep trading players for prospects, you can start chasing your tail. If you have high quality players that you have some salary control on, keep them.

That's not until 2021. Roughly $5M a year for the next two years.

2018 $5.21M

2019 $5.71M

2020 $5.71M

2021 ARB (likely to be a very high # if performance continues)

2022 FA

Agree with the above. If someone knocked their socks off (because of his performance AND control), they should've traded him. Closer is a luxury on a squad not expected to compete even next year.

However, no need to move him without a great haul in return. If your progress comes earlier than the plan (e.g., Astros), you already have a solid closer in place. If not, sign him to a few more years or deal him prior to 2020 trade deadline. Allowing him to go to ARB or FA without getting anything in return would be stupid.

Lots of easy targets when criticizing the Reds front office, but this signing was a slam dunk success substantively and economically.

That salary information confirms it even more for me. The only thing I would think about trading Iglesias for is a proven top-of-the-rotation starter. Not a prospect. I want a starter who I know will be one of my top three starters in my rotation if I get him. Otherwise way too much value in Iglesias for a team that is tight on payroll. we have seen in baseball the last few years that quality depth in your bullpen is as important for a winning team as having quality starters.